Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I recall; most all aftermarket rag joint (steering couplers) and aftermarket-rebuilt steering boxes are of a very 'subpar quality' so, is there any updates on new or 'better' vendors offering these two needed items in 'high quality' products?
I remember a fella named 'Gary' was the king of steering box and differential rebuilds, not sure 'if' he's still doing this or offers exchanges on boxes.
*I would prefer my OEM steering box rebuilt however, I can't really tie-up a friends lift with the shipping/rebuild down-time so, exchange would be a better option.
Thanks for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
hamerDown I think there is quite a bit of info on this forum about the rag joint and the steering box as well. Unfortunately, I can't remember who it was, could have been "Gary". My only experience is that I bought a rag joint rebuild kit from one of the popular C3 suppliers. It was junk, practically useless. I was on the trail of some assembled units although they were not OEM. A NOS joint is probably worth it's weight in gold these days. I wound up converting to a Steeroids so I never did resolve the rag joint issue. I'm sure someone here can steer you in the right direction (pun not intended!)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOS is like Hens teeth.
The one NOS rag joint I saw was over $90.00 and I would be cautious of just how dry rotted it 'may' be.
Don't know why someone can't produce a quality replacement... doesn't seem like it's rocket science.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
NOS is like Hens teeth.
The one NOS rag joint I saw was over $90.00 and I would be cautious of just how dry rotted it 'may' be.
Don't know why someone can't produce a quality replacement... doesn't seem like it's rocket science.
I know. Especially considering so many GM cars from late 50's to early 70's used the rag joint. I don't know if they are all the same or not.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
I am still around and you're correct, the quality level of rebuilt boxes on the market isn't as expected but sure paid off for Borgenson and Steeroids.

Rag joints- the common ones on the market are imported. They use rubber pucks or weaker material compared to the original GM/Saginaw rags. The GM rags are the best but have been discontinued for 10 years now. No one makes a rag in the quality of them today. NOS ones can be found on auction sites but expect to pay $300+ for them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to a Borgeson complete swap kit for my C3 which does away with the old archaic ram assist steering, The kit came with everything needed even a new rag joint, I tried to go non power for a while but was not fun at all, The Borgeson power steering box turned the C3 into the sharp steering car it was meant to be. The only downside was I had to do away with the long tube extractors and go to shorty's or standard style rams horns. But I have no regrets whatsoever it is a pleasure to drive now with no vague wandering steering just pinpoint accuracy and the right amount of assistance.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
Borgenson is ok but the stock box, correctly rebuilt, works very well. The problem is with the junk sold today as a rebuilt stock box. Some come back worse that what was removed. I can say this because I have been repairing the work of other rebuilders for too many years now. So I would bet 80% of those who bought aftermarket would have been satisfied with a correctly built box but they didn't get one and went to the aftermarket. None of them are perfect, they all have issues to address.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts