Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I need a bit of advice on how best to repair some rust on my birdcage. I pulled the windshield the other day and found quite a bit of rust on the pillars as well as several holes that need to be repaired. The issue is that some of these areas of corrosion are at the very base of the windshield pillar and behind/below the front clip fiberglass. Because I still have the front clip on I can't get to these areas to do a proper repair.

So, my question is what's the best way to approach this? Should I try and cut away the top rear portion of the front clip to allow access for a repair and the reattach the piece, or should I try and remove the front clip entirely? Neither of these opions seem overly appealing since they're both a lot of work so I'm open to other options.

Below is a photo of the rust near the bottom of the pillar. There's actually a hole that's about 1/4" x 1" near the bottom but it doesn't show up very well. The drivers side is similar, but a bit less severe.

Thanks!

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
The only real way to repair that is to remove the front clip and get to work. If your just wanting to patch it you can wire wheel it down to bare metal and weld up the holes then POR-15 the whole area.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
remove the front clip, that's not just a couple of holes that you can weld up, you need fresh metal in several places.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,829 Posts
I'd take the clip off and fix it right one time rather than having to redo it a year or two from now

·
Registered
355 Posts
Don't think it will be done by just removing the front clip. It looks as if the fire already spread to the intire lower corner and that one is hidden under the firewall as well. It can be done, but it is a big ugly job. (ask me how i know)

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
the firewall only goes on the very edge and the ipper part of the a pillar )the angled section), the firewall is pretty easy to rmove, just some drilling (rivet heads) and tedeous chiseling.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys - it looks like I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Any tips or words of wisdom about how to remove the front clip and firewall (if needed)? I went out in the garage and looked it over and have no idea how to take either piece off. :huh:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
start at the bottom on the a pillar and work your way up to about halfway, carefully using chisels, putty knives and we\dges. Then go from the top, cut the gutter where the paint goes from body color to black (engine bay) and start chiseling there and work your way down. Then you have to do the same in the wheel well (depending on wether it's a factory install or maybe someone worked on it and bonded everything together there,. including the top) The front clip uses 2 bonding areas on the firewall, one on the side of the door and one oon the front of the firewall. You ahve to separate both.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i was thinking of filling my windshield frame with fiberglass resin.

Is this gonna make my head explode.
Use Great Stuff instead....easier to "inject" :rolling:

Customer Ratings (4.2)

Insulates and seals window and door areas
Proven not to bow the frame

Sounds good :crazy: :thumbsup: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Customer Ratings (4.2)

ONLY USE foam that is for automotive use.......................
That other stuff bought at hardware stores absorbs moisture like a sponge
and will cause you more damage down the road. Trust me on this one....
I-CAR has an entire course just on automotive foams.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, this should be an adventure. That website 1Michel posted has some good pics of the car with the front clip removed which helps show what stays in place and what goes with the clip.

I've heard using a heat gun helps loosen the bonding compound. Is this true? My buddy has a heat gun I could borrow if this would help. He's actually coming over this weekend to help me remove the clip.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts

Customer Ratings (4.2)

fiberglass would add to the structural integrity. i don't think that suff will.

What's wrong with fiberglass. Most of the car is made from it.

Hey how about a fiberglass birdcage and frame.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
fiberglass would add to the structural integrity. i don't think that suff will.

What's wrong with fiberglass. Most of the car is made from it.

Hey how about a fiberglass birdcage and frame.
Not saying it's a bad idea at all. Just wishing to see your head explode. I might post it on "you tube." "Turtlehead explodes, news at 11.":rolling:

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Not saying it's a bad idea at all. Just wishing to see your head explode. I might post it on "you tube." "Turtlehead explodes, news at 11.":rolling:

I don't think you are ever gonna get the chance to see it.

slip fit rear bearings didn't do it.
slip fit steering wheel didn't do it.
beatup old used parts didn't do it
primer paint didn't do it
rust didn't do it

you guys have been telling me my head is gonna explode for many years now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts