Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok dc i got a question for ya'll. Im waiting for a set of stock black c6z rims (the whole rim is completely black). The shop i ordered them from got my order ready now, but on 1 rim the guy says got grinded or chipped during takeoff of tire due to the tire press when taking off tire (i'm waiting for a new rim now). he says that next time when i change my tires that it's most likely gonna chip or grind the paint a lil. i think he just full of $hit. so anybody who got a completely black set of rims change the tires yet, and did you get any scratches or chips on the rims. thx dc crew.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
The only black vette rims I have had were powder coated. Had no trouble with them. If he's painting them and the paint is going to come off during tire change your just throwing your money away. You can get your rims powder coated for about a 100 a rim.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I just talked to a guy today....60 bones per rim...can't wait.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
OEM wheels are painted and clear coated. They are the same paint system that is used on your Corvettes body panels.

If they chewed up or chipped powdercoating, they would have trashed a factory painted wheel as well.

The place I get my wheels/tires mounted at have a "if we scratch/chip your wheel, we'll buy you a new one" policy and last I checked they haven't had to replace a wheel in their entire 25 years because they don't scratch or chip any.

Find a new installer!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Changed the tires before on both BLK'D out OEM & Z06 wheels...no chips or scratches when done by a competent installer.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I'm with Patrick here. Find a new installer. They have machines that don't touch the rim so damage isn't possible.

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,389 Posts
There is NO excuse for damaging a painted wheel. That's just plain negligent work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
OEM wheels are painted and clear coated. They are the same paint system that is used on your Corvettes body panels.

If they chewed up or chipped powdercoating, they would have trashed a factory painted wheel as well.

The place I get my wheels/tires mounted at have a "if we scratch/chip your wheel, we'll buy you a new one" policy and last I checked they haven't had to replace a wheel in their entire 25 years because they don't scratch or chip any.

Find a new installer!
Patrick -

Can you PM me your tire install vendor??

Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
i have a red vette and those are the same wheels im thinking of getting. could you post a picture when you have them installed? im kind of nervous about going black on red. ..... but nervous always leads to good things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts