Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally get around to removing the front grilles on my 71. I noticed a wire going to the screw hole and figured Bubba just used it for a ground, Im not so lucky...the grille is actually broken in several places, the wire was used to thread through the screw holes and hold the grille together, the screws then holding it all tight :huh: (bubba on overtime) So I figure, OK no problem, just a few more pieces to buy....HOLY CRAP!! at 450 bucks a side I almost dropped a load! Now that Ive chewed you ear off with the story I need an opinion or two, I can rebuild the front end with the 69 grille pieces for a ton less money, the car is not numbers matching and the original engine is god only knows where. Should I rebuild the car with the 69 grilles or bite the bullet and go with the 70-72 style? Would anyone really care or notice (besides me). Just looking for a nudge in one direction or the other.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If it doesn't matter to YOU, one way or the other..........
Then go with what is easiest on the Ol' pocket book.

Your building the car for yourself................Right!
Then Who gives-a-rip what others might think.

Personally.......I don't think the average JOE will never notice the difference.

Funny......My brother bought a '74 T/A in 1981. Everyone thought he had
bought a brand new car. There's a very noticeable difference between a '74
and an '81. They couldn't see past the shinny paint a that big bird on the hood.

:crazy:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Holy **** that's friggin nuts. :thud:
$50 each for pre '70 is sounding pretty sweet. You'll of course have to swap out the front lens and probably brackets too. I just can't believe that. :crazy: :WTF

·
Banned
125 Posts

Personally.......I don't think the average JOE will never notice the difference.

Funny......My brother bought a '74 T/A in 1981. Everyone thought he had
bought a brand new car. There's a very noticeable difference between a '74
and an '81. They couldn't see past the shinny paint a that big bird on the hood.

:crazy:
:agree:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shoot, get whatever makes you happy! Even if it were a numbers-matching car, it's your decision (not the NCRS crowd's).

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Shoot, get whatever makes you happy! Even if it were a numbers-matching car, it's your decision (not the NCRS crowd's).
:agree:

If your happy.. then go for it!

NCRS = Not Correctly Restored Stingray

·
Registered
3,462 Posts

Personally.......I don't think the average JOE will never notice the difference...
:agree: Do what you want mate, it's YOUR car :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
My suggestion.

Take your 70+ grille - trim out the egg crate portion leaving only the outer ring. Find a suitable replacement material - or (like a new Vette) - leave it wide open. Leave the blinker in place. Take it to the powder coater and have the inner portion where you trimmed done in black or grey for a finished intentional look.

BINGO---done, and unique ONLY to your car for less than $100.

Remember, on the 68-69, the grilles are only about $90, but you still have to buy the chrome trim that goes around the opening - so you are talking more like $200 when said and done, plus the blinkers which will add $75 more.

Hey...if you can slip in some killer pia projector fog lights in there like a C5 lower grille opening....well, that would just be hot. Make some lemonade out of your lemmons.

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
My suggestion.

Take your 70+ grille - trim out the egg crate portion leaving only the outer ring. Find a suitable replacement material - or (like a new Vette) - leave it wide open. Leave the blinker in place. Take it to the powder coater and have the inner portion where you trimmed done in black or grey for a finished intentional look.

Remember, on the 68-69, the grilles are only about $90, but you still have to buy the chrome trim that goes around the opening - so you are talking more like $200 when said and done, plus the blinkers which will add $75 more.

Hey...if you can slip in some killer pia projector fog lights in there like a C5 lower grille opening....well, that would just be hot. Make some lemonade out of your lemmons.

As usual, Chris is on the ball. That sounds like an outstanding idea! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
My suggestion.

:agree: Great opportunity for a custom detail.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
When first purchased my '72 had a stock front grill, lower bumpers, whole thing.....wanted something differant....so a buddy tigged up that entire new one piece grill assy outta hardware store aluminum bar 1/8 thick....did a beautiful job....even fixed it when someone backed into it a year ago....

i'ts remnicient of mid year grills, and has turnsignals/driving lights behind it....

sold off the stock crap for a decent price....not as decent at what they want TODAY, but fair....

:D :smack :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts