Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing some PICS from others who have modified their fuel lines from the Fuel Pump to Carburetor. I will be making the transition during spring from the Q-Jet to the Holley. Looking for ideas with in-line fuel filters, fuel line, and hardware used. Thanks!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
I bent up a steel line from the pump to inline filter( non glass type) then used a wire braided hose to the carb. Works ok.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Not a great picture. This is the L-88 line kit I got from one of the vendors. Fit like hammered crap and looked worse. I cut it in front of the right head and added a filter after I found out how bad it really fit. But it did work until I got around to making a new one.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I bent up a steel line from the pump to inline filter( non glass type) then used a wire braided hose to the carb. Works ok.
I used an aluminum line, from the fuel pump to my Edelbrock Q-Jet. Way easier to bend than steel!

AN fittings on both ends.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i used copper on my 79 and 2 years still going strong. only used that because it was laying around and all i could find at the time:thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Where do you guys get this hardware and how do you make the connections? How do you flare steel lines and make these connections?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Where do you guys get this hardware and how do you make the connections? How do you flare steel lines and make these connections?
Where the hardware comes from depends on what type of fittings you want to use. There are inverted flare fittings that are available from your local auto parts, and some of them may have AN fittings too. Summit and Jeg's both have a good selection. Most fuel lines are 3/8" (inverted flare) or -6AN.
Either flare takes a flare tool- inverted flares require a double flare- the tool puts a "bell" on the end of the tube, then the second step folds it back on itself at a 45* angle. An AN flare uses a sleeve to get that thickness and it's a 37* angle. Nothing wrong with either one, it your choice.

It takes a bit of practice to get a good flare, but once you figure out how it's a snap. Same with bending tube. It takes a good quality bender, and some practice.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I found pre made fuel line at O'REILY auto parts in 3/8". It comes in different lengths with flare fittings already on them. I also found a bender at Lowes for around fifteen bucks. I haven't purchased everything yet, but I will be working on the same project. I'm gonna go with an inline filter that will accept the fittings as well. I will post up when I get everything and inform everyone on how it is going. The line is cheap enough so that you can even get some extra to play with.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
I have hand held benders for tubing so I just went to NAPA and got a 3' length of 3/8 tubing. I had the engine on the stand. I just pulled up a chair to save my back and bent the line to where I wanted it. Then cut and flare the end for the inline AN filter and run the braided line. I bought the filter and line from Summit Racing.
Lars had/has an excellant write up on fuel lines, just get a copy from him and work from it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
FWIW copper is easy but not overly safe, it tends to work harden and break around the fittings when subjected to road vibration. Because you have to disassemble the line to see the cracks forming, it's generally not recommended.

There are special alloyed copper tubes available (sometimes found on euro car brake lines and american diesel injector lines) but it's not the same copper you're going to find at Ace hardware.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
Great pic Gary. Good to see you again, my friend.
:cheers:
Hi Rip
Yes good to hear from you as well. Not sure if you still go to the place I was banished from, from what I see over there it's pretty poorly run and some advice given is dead wrong.

Have a great Holiday!

Also agree on using copper tubing, not recommended nor are inline glass filters. I see them a lot and the fire hazard is too great.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Rip
Yes good to hear from you as well. Not sure if you still go to the place I was banished from, from what I see over there it's pretty poorly run and some advice given is dead wrong.

Have a great Holiday!
Gary, I've been out of touch with the vette world in general for a while. Long story. Still have the vette though.
I remember the place you're talking about I believe. It's good to be here and see some familiar names again. I'll try not to be a stranger.

My apologies to the OP for taking this thread briefly off topic. Wishing a happy holiday to all.

Rip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts