Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know how much horsepower the 1992 stock LT1 engine, transmission (6sp manual), rear end will handle?

I have found a tuner in Eastern Europe that have 35 years experience in turbo charging fiats, Alfa Romeos, Peugeot, Renault, Hondas (he made a turbo to integra R – 280 hp) and generally small displacement cars. He is very interesting in doing twin turbo project on the vette! But he has no experience in American V8, this is why I need info how much the stock engine can take.

From what he told me most European and Japanese cars will handle 100hp from 1 liter displacement without any problem. So for example 2.0L engine will make 200hp on “soft turbo” without any problem.

Theoretically 5,7l (he will need to lower compression ratio) can make 570hp but will the engine parts, transmission, rear end will survive?

He will make the modification in January 2003 so I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
7 Posts
no to all, you will need a forged bottom end. built tranny, which still may not last . the rear will last a while if you dont drag race, but the first time you do w/ sticky tires, it will likely go. you can build close to that horsepower on just motor, why go thru the expense?
i'm going thru the same project right now. it should make over 1000hp, but i will likely detune it to around 800. point is build it for what its capable of. we all want more eventually.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
russ said:
no to all, you will need a forged bottom end. built tranny, which still may not last . the rear will last a while if you dont drag race, but the first time you do w/ sticky tires, it will likely go. you can build close to that horsepower on just motor, why go thru the expense?
i'm going thru the same project right now. it should make over 1000hp, but i will likely detune it to around 800. point is build it for what its capable of. we all want more eventually.
I agree,check out FLP,they have tranny's for any horsepower level,but it won't be cheap,I know they make killer C5 tranny's,that are for 1100 hp cars,i'm sure they do for the C4 too,but i never researched for the C4 though.Good luck.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
All of those might work for a short amount of time.

But, do you want your car to break shortly after getting all the work done?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts