Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 81 corvette and the vacuum system is completely shot/partially missing. I love the way these headlights look, but I can't find them anywhere. I don't think you have to buy a new front end for them, just take out the old headlights, paint to match and done. I have seen them on a few cars so I don't think it's custom. If someone knows the name of them, and where I can buy this mod kit from. It would be greatly appreciated. By the way, this particular car is so freaking waxed that the headlights are reflecting in the paint job. Thanks, Kat

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Yup, famous old school mod that lobs about 60 lbs minimum off the front end, them assys' are HEAVY, the scoops/lights weigh maybe 10 lbs each...

instead of pushing 60 lbs each....

see my site for a mod to the Eckers scoops I used to have, (still do, really) in front of my car....pix here too....I used late camaro bulbs/mounts from junkyard...full adjustable, in the scoops, and blocked off the huge hole....

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
gd Gene do you ever sleep? :partyon: Your what? 6 hours behind and I just recently got out of bed lol
Nick

:rolling: :rolling: Nah, just happened to be up now....I age 63, and so semi retired...gotta do what I hope turns out to be a couple hours work this morning....I remodel houses for a living, frustrate me wife for a hobby, and sit in my vette going zooooooommmmmmm ZZZOOOOMMMMMMMMMM....

for my mental health.....

:devil: :devil: :cheers: I have very irregular sleep habits ....:crazy: :huh:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Yeah, Gregorian has all the L88 stuff.

As for the sugar scoops, IMO the lexan covers are damn ugly because they are FLAT! I'm going to make some using some bare aluminium stock headlamp doors, just heat the lexan and let it settle over the door. This will give the correct curvature and you can see the outline where to cut.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
I'm going to attempt that but using the stock housings. I'll just form some bubbles using clay or something on the mods and then heat the lexan over it. Should be easier than using MDF. Will see. First I have to find some blacked out lexan. I don't want the clear look.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah, you'll need a 3D model to start milling. I just suggested it because depending on the thickness you would require vacuum, and actually go the thermo forming way. (believe me that's what we do :) We usualy use PC or PMMA for the cab sunvisors http://www.vision-eng.be
Colored lexan :
http://www.europlex.nl/Europlex_37_LexanR.html
PMMA / PC (think they have a Nl department to but not sure if they sell to private party
http://solutions-in-plastics.info/nl-be/products/technical-info/transparante-kunststoffen/pmma/

·
Registered
244 Posts
:rolling: :rolling: Nah, just happened to be up now....I age 63, and so semi retired...gotta do what I hope turns out to be a couple hours work this morning....I remodel houses for a living, frustrate me wife for a hobby, and sit in my vette going zooooooommmmmmm ZZZOOOOMMMMMMMMMM....

for my mental health.....

:devil: :devil: :cheers: I have very irregular sleep habits ....:crazy: :huh:
i have noticed THEY have no sence of humor,,,,,,and i do ZOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM also,,:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ecklers will have the molded fiberglass "dressy" boxes, fgregg has the aluminum racing boxes, a bit more utilitarian.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ecklers will have the molded fiberglass "dressy" boxes, fgregg has the aluminum racing boxes, a bit more utilitarian.:thumbsup:
as my friends from down south like to say those aluminum buckets and lexan covers are "slicker than owl ****"!!
redvetracr

of course they were eating boiled peanuts at the time....yuck!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, famous old school mod that lobs about 60 lbs minimum off the front end, them assys' are HEAVY, the scoops/lights weigh maybe 10 lbs each..
Lol. Remember I said it was an 81? You know...the one with 190hp peak. If I was concerned about weight and speed, I'm working on the wrong car.
;)

Kat

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Lol. Remember I said it was an 81? You know...the one with 190hp peak. If I was concerned about weight and speed, I'm working on the wrong car.
;)

Kat
Damn it man, just damnit.....you not working on the rong CAR, u just not working on it LONG ENUFF>>>>>>>:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

now get out to the garage and start putting that car on a diet, and that engine on steroids.....

:devil: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dang....$550 bucks....my headlights work, they are just stuck in the up position. Maybe I should just keep looking for parts I need for now until someone has some for sale used/cheap. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Dang....$550 bucks....my headlights work, they are just stuck in the up position. Maybe I should just keep looking for parts I need for now until someone has some for sale used/cheap. Thanks for the info guys.
could try addy here in parts wanted, or do a search on ebay....

or try Wade's corvettes here in Jax Fl....904 783-8583 tell him to forget the bulbs...that's 1/2 the shipping weight....

and that Gene Slater sent you there....:cheers:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
could try addy here in parts wanted, or do a search on ebay....

or try Wade's corvettes here in Jax Fl....904 783-8583 tell him to forget the bulbs...that's 1/2 the shipping weight....

and that Gene Slater sent you there....:cheers:

A bit of CAUTION here- you tell him GENE sent you and you may get charged DOUBLE!!

redvetracr: I've never tried rabbit s***, but I did try boiled peanuts ONCE!. I bet they're the same.:rolling:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts