1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi there guys,
how are ya!
i have a 1991 L98 vette!
decided to install my super ram on the weekend!
mind you, it took all bloody day to install, no room ,fidgity,dam thing!
any way put every thing back and now no start!
it cranks over but thats it!
it does not have any fuel preasure showing on the guage, i have a adjustable fuel reg also.
codes show up as code 13 and code 46, which is oxygen sensor and v.a.t.s fault!
it tested for spark which it has, i also before i removed distributor i marked and made note where dist location/rotor button is!
tried moving around dist back and forth a little,no luck!
i also removed the plug wires and put back on in the firing order of 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
may be i did install distributor wrongly??
i also checked adjusted t.p.s to .54 volts!
also when i installed the distributor back i lined up oil pump slot with dist gear!
could i have a oil preasure switch problem may be?
also i do not hear the fuel pump prime up in engine bay, could it be a fuel pump fuse or relay ?
where is the fuel pump relay/fuse located please?
what could be wrong please?
any ideas things to look for?
i hope so one can please help/advice me please, i really need some help guys!
cheers
thanks
glen

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Obviously something is unplugged - pinched - or installed wrong.

The VATS code is strange for the situation.

You should get a fuel pressure pulse when you first cycle the key. If you aren't getting that, something is just not plugged in. Check again and make sure the oil pressure switch is on right and making solid contact - and that you didn't pinch a wire between the manifold. CHeck the fuel pump fuse too in case you did pinch a wire and just blew it.

"IF" you marked the orientation of the direction the rotor was pointing before yanking it out - and put it back pointing the exact same loction - other than minor timing adjustments there should have been no change in the ignition. You have to turn the oil pump shaft back just a tad to get it to drop back down in and rotate into the original spot.

Also - check to see the fuel pump relay didn't come unplugged.

DOES the horn work on the car? Reason why I ask is it may be as simple as you have actually activated the alarm - easy to do if the doors LOCK on the car, then you reach through an open window - unlock, and try to start the car. It may be in shut down mode - but if the horn doesn't work you can't hear it blowing and don't realize the alarm system is kicking in. An activated alarm will shut down the fuel, but I am pretty sure it will still spin over - just no start.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi there 69myway,
how are ya mate!
thanks very much for your reply and help!!
iv tried locking/unlcking the doors to see if alarm is on or off but now alarm horn is sounding!
bye the way i did by a vats by pass key from corvette central some time ago but dont know how to wire it up?
if i take off positive wire from battery then put back on will that remove /reset the alarm lock up?
i think i have found the fuel pump relay near the wiper motor yeah?
it the fuse seem to be ok!
also i think i have found the oil preasure switch also which has a plug on it yeah?, and near it is a small black plastic box which would be the relay?
as you can see iv never had this dam problem before until now and have never even seen the oil preasure relay,switch and fuse /holder!
i cant see where the relay plugs into the wires though!
gees its hard to see in there and you cant put your hands in hardly!
quite ridiculous by gm really!
there is definetly not as fuel pulse when i start to turn the key!
its not the easiest thing to find/remove is it!
i tell ya,im quite depressed now after all this pain in the a*ss super ram install and now it wont start, dam it!
oh well thanks for your help,time and advice mate!
cheers
glen

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Look between the manifold base and top of the block at the rear and make sure you don't have a wire pinched in there when you bolted it all back together.

Make sure the distributor plug is all the way in, and that you didn't reverse the tach and battery lead to the cap.

It is going to be a simple fix once you find it since it was running before.

You should be able to unhook the battery and clear that alarm issue out (the door lock part).

THe VATS bypass is just going to go in-line on the VATS connector from the column. The hardest part is squeezing under the dash to access it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi again 69myway,
thanks again fro the extra advice!
you have been very helpful too me!
i will give it all a try!
i will let you know the out come!
cheers
glen :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi again guys,
i did for get to mention that my fuel sender in the tank plays up at times!

if there was no fuel in the tank, does that mean that you would not hear the fuel pump prime noise and also there would not be any fuel preasure on the portable gauge either woulndt it???

there could be quite a good chance that after i backed up the vette into the garage to pull it apart ready for the intake swap that that was the last of the fuel!
so i will get some fuel and see how i go!
also i repulled the dist out and checked all the plugs/wiring and all seems to be ok!
so im hoping it just has no fuel/,fingers crossed guys!
cheers
glen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts