Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Yall

I need to know where I find the code that tells me if the car origionally had an AC or not.

The vin is

1z37k2s517278

its a 1972 standard t top. Its a long story but Im getting screwed and I need this code, I know the code is C60, I just dont know where on the car it is stamped.

Thanks

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I think the only place that will show for sure will be the tank sticker. If that has been removed, then you're out of luck if you have to have positive proof.

However, do you have any clues on the car itself? Is there evidence in the engine compartment that AC was originally installed on the car?

What about the console controls - do they indicate that the car was AC, or are the controls of the non-AC variety?

Good luck!

Steven

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K here goes

Alright here goes, most of the story.

So I bought a car, Online, I had it inspected and whatnot. I have several emails from me to the dealer and back asking about different things working or not working. One is the AC. THe listing says the car has AC, well the guy says it doesnt work and so as part of the bill of sale we put in there a contract to ahve it fix. His exact words were...it works but "does not blow"

Ok, so fast forward to today, the car comes to my wife....Im in Iraq, the car comes nad there is no AC period, the controls are on the dash, I believe she said the fans blow. But there is no AC. So she calls the dude and is like WTF right?

He says the car never had AC, the listing never mentioned AC and Im out of luck.

Well I have the emails and the Bill of sale but Im pissed, I dont want to do the court thing because I dont have time, its a different state and it costs money. So I type the vin I just gave you into yahoo...guess what. It comes up as an old ebay motors post. Whats listed in the desciption...???/ AC. Says "AC Not hooked up".

Now its a different post then from their website, that one said it had ac didnt say anything about it not working but anyway.

This guy is going to fix my ac or Im going to come back there and rip his head from his shoulders and use it for a hood ornament.

Out here

Matt

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey Matt;

Have the wife post a couple pics of the engine bay and dash and center console, we should be able to tell whats up. I don't know about that year, but in the drivers door way below the windshield there may be a tag, get the info off there. My 81 also had a factory sticker on the rear edge of the drivers door.

And thanks for doing what your doin, keep your head down and watch your ass, come home safe

·
Registered
738 Posts
depends entirely on how you have it done. There a couple companies that do that: Vintage Air and Classic something I think. There are some guys in here that have them and all I have heard is good. Here is a link
http://www.vintageair.com/cat2007/39.pdf

Depending on what is still there if it was originally there you may be able to piece it back together relatively cheaply. But figure on $500 to $1500 for a window

·
Registered
16 Posts
It should be pretty easy to spot the evaporator core in the passenger side rear, engine compartment. Removing the compressor and hoses is one thing, but most don't remove the evap. core. It should still have the aluminum A/C lines sticking out from it.
Can your wife post a pic of this area under the hood? If she doesn't know how to post a pic here, she can e-mail a pic to me at [email protected] and I'll post it here.

Best,
Greg

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Alright here goes, most of the story.

So I bought a car, Online, I had it inspected and whatnot. I have several emails from me to the dealer and back asking about different things working or not working. One is the AC. THe listing says the car has AC, well the guy says it doesnt work and so as part of the bill of sale we put in there a contract to ahve it fix. His exact words were...it works but "does not blow"

Ok, so fast forward to today, the car comes to my wife....Im in Iraq, the car comes nad there is no AC period, the controls are on the dash, I believe she said the fans blow. But there is no AC. So she calls the dude and is like WTF right?

He says the car never had AC, the listing never mentioned AC and Im out of luck.

Well I have the emails and the Bill of sale but Im pissed, I dont want to do the court thing because I dont have time, its a different state and it costs money. So I type the vin I just gave you into yahoo...guess what. It comes up as an old ebay motors post. Whats listed in the desciption...???/ AC. Says "AC Not hooked up".

Now its a different post then from their website, that one said it had ac didnt say anything about it not working but anyway.

This guy is going to fix my ac or Im going to come back there and rip his head from his shoulders and use it for a hood ornament.

Out here

Matt

Mate, I have a plan for you. Firstly, tell the arsehole you bought the car from that if he doesn't pay for it to be fixed (as per your contract) or refund you the money it'll cost to get it fixed (or whatever you actually want him to do) then you are going to let 64,608 members on here know about it and (I know some guys don't like the place) also lay it out on CF, they have 165,353 members (maybe a few less these days!!). Tell him you'll also put it on a site called ripoffreport.com.

If he doesn't want to help...

In all these places, write your story out objectively with exactly what was said/written etc. Make sure to include the guy's email address and telephone number.

Then, email him a list of the URLs for where ever you posted your story.

If he's running a business then he'll **** himself when he sees the "view" count go up and up and up! If you also include his phone number and email address, I'll be he gets a **** load of grief that way as well.

Just a thought and you'll probably get what you want without having to go to prison for forceably removing his head...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Good Idea. Annother might be to contact the papers in the dealers town, play the "Poor GI doing his duty and getting boned" card

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Good Idea. Annother might be to contact the papers in the dealers town, play the "Poor GI doing his duty and getting boned" card
Brilliant! Do both :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
keep us posted, and let us know who this dirt ball is...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Another easy and very effective thing to do is to file a complaint with the Attorney Generals office in his state. You can usually do this online, it documents your complaint with the appropraite authorities and usually lights a fire under the asshole and motivates him to preserve his business interests in his home town. If his state Atty' Genl' shuts him down, then he is SOL.

It worked for me!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Any news?

·
Registered
71 Posts
was the car bought on ebay by chance??? Because i had something like this happen to me. I bought a car on ebay with a "brand new engine, less than 500 miles" and it had a bad cam shaft and 5 ruined pistons. Ebay had an ins co. to refund my repairs.

Just a thought. Good luck

And thanks for all you do:cheers:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Just contact the state gov agency that issues the dealer his license to sell cars and file a complaint along with all your documentation.

He will likely have to make good or loose his license and be prosecuted.:D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

Well,

Ive been out for a few days and just got back to an email from my wife. The salesmen from the dealer sent us an email saying he will be shipping us all the parts for the AC asap.

Still working on who is going to pay for labor...the stupid part is there was no reason for him to do this crap to begin with.

Thanks for all the help.

Matt

·
Registered
181 Posts
the parts are relative cheap compared to the cost of installing and servicing of system. IMHO i would strongly request that dealer foot the cost for all of it. He advertised and sold the car as a working AC equipped now he needs to back that up.

I'm sure it is a pain in the ass getting this done from over there. But it will be there when you get to home station.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
That's a start. By sending you the parts, they've basically admitted they messed up. Maybe ask you wife to e-mail them back or to telephone them and ask if they have a preferred mechanic or work shop in your area that they'd like to have fit all the AC components and would they prefer you to get a quote from them first or just have the shop send them a bill on completion.

It might also pay to have someone check out the parts that arrive in case it's a basket case...

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Any news Matt? Did the parts arrive?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts