Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you're going to get fancy with a built-in system, I would rate the Alpine system as superb. However, I saw a Pioneer system in another car (not a vette) with the screen that slides out and up like the Alpine, and it was very nice.

My preference was the Garmin c550 that sticks to the windshield with a suction cup device......... 2 reasons why....1) I can take it on trips and use it on rental cars and 2) I wanted the 6 disk in dash radio

I've had my car for almost 6 months now and no regrets on that. If GM had a nav system like the ones in the Acura (provided by Alpine), I would have gotten the option. I have the GM nav in the other 07 vette and the 07 Tahoe and they take forever to punch in destinations. Garmin is very quick, and you don't have to be stopped to program it. It is blue tooth enable, will play MP3s, and is equipped with traffic alert & rerouting. Also, only about $500. Incidentally, the Tom Tom and Magellan brands are equally good but the Garmin has the brightest screen and is the easiest to see in bright sun. This is more important in the Vette than other cars due to its large windshield and glare problem.

Having said all that, it is really neat to see my friend's car have the screen pop out and up, and the display is very large. However, he spent over $5K on his stereo/nav system. I'd rather buy horsepower.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're going to get fancy with a built-in system, I would rate the Alpine system as superb. However, I saw a Pioneer system in another car (not a vette) with the screen that slides out and up like the Alpine, and it was very nice.

My preference was the Garmin c550 that sticks to the windshield with a suction cup device......... 2 reasons why....1) I can take it on trips and use it on rental cars and 2) I wanted the 6 disk in dash radio

I've had my car for almost 6 months now and no regrets on that. If GM had a nav system like the ones in the Acura (provided by Alpine), I would have gotten the option. I have the GM nav in the other 07 vette and the 07 Tahoe and they take forever to punch in destinations. Garmin is very quick, and you don't have to be stopped to program it. It is blue tooth enable, will play MP3s, and is equipped with traffic alert & rerouting. Also, only about $500. Incidentally, the Tom Tom and Magellan brands are equally good but the Garmin has the brightest screen and is the easiest to see in bright sun. This is more important in the Vette than other cars due to its large windshield and glare problem.

Having said all that, it is really neat to see my friend's car have the screen pop out and up, and the display is very large. However, he spent over $5K on his stereo/nav system. I'd rather buy horsepower.
Thanks for the information.

I have a 2006 Honda Civic Si with Navi, and really like it. Has a card reader that takes a SD card, you can put hundreds of songs on it.
Only problem, as you mentioned, you must stop the car to program the navi.

I've been searching the net, and have found a few that look interesting.

Thanks again,

augydog :cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts