Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace all of my steering components

I will be ordering a new valve, cylinder and hoses but I am having a bunch of difficulty removing the old valve.

How do I get the old valve off? :huh:

Everything else is disconnected.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
As I recall, there is a clamp screw on the end of the valve, and I have to presume it's outta there, then take a hammer/wedge and open up the valve a bit....not to break it, but open it up a bit....then it 'should' unscrew with a pipe wrench/whatever fairly easy....

if not, you maybe need a propane torch on it, heat the outer valve sleeve and then twist hell outta it....don't need heat the whole thing, just that outer sleeve....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The part that I am having trouble with is with the ball joint on the top of the valve. I have the clamp screw loose but the ball joint just wont budge.

Do I need to unhook the rest of the ball joints, I would not think that is necessary, but what do I know?:huh:

Do I just need to keep wacking away with the fork and hammer or should it be easier than that. The cylinder side was no where near as difficult as this side but I had way better axcess and leverage.

And the torch idea is prob not a great idea considering how much fluid has sprayed under the car.

btw, thanks a bunch for the help - I am always greatful:cheers: :cheers:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
The part that I am having trouble with is with the ball joint on the top of the valve. I have the clamp screw loose but the ball joint just wont budge.

Do I need to unhook the rest of the ball joints, I would not think that is necessary, but what do I know?:huh:

Do I just need to keep wacking away with the fork and hammer or should it be easier than that. The cylinder side was no where near as difficult as this side but I had way better axcess and leverage.

And the torch idea is prob not a great idea considering how much fluid has sprayed under the car.

btw, thanks a bunch for the help - I am always greatful:cheers: :cheers:

Sky, I really dislike whaling away with a hammer/fork on account of that pitman arm bearing in the box there don't like much of that crap....

IF possible, beg/borrow/steal/rent a compressor and a air chisel with pickel fork attachement....vibrate hell outta it....

another way, is to maybe if there is room....I forget, is a puller/pusher to clamp over the pitman arm and push the damn shaft outta there....

maybe wipe off as much grease as possible, and heat with torch anyway, let some of it smoke/burn off.....judgement call...just enough to get the pitman arm to expand enough to release with hammer and pickel fork....

morse taper joints can be a bitch sometimes....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great idea about the air powered hammer with pickel fork.

My father in law is a mechanic by trade (he hates working on corvettes though) may have one lying around. I will give him a call and see if I can borrow it otherwise - a new air tool may be in my future

More tools - always a good thing:D

I hate banging away at things - ruined a set of lower shock mounts and the "removal tool" that way a year ago when I was working on the rear end of the car but sometimes it is the only solution. I do not want to ruin my cores - becasue of the core charges associated with these pieces.

My last resort is to use the torch / flame. One of the things that I have been doing is cleaning while I am in there and it aint purty. I need fire under the car and in my garage just like I need a :nuts:

Thanks a bunch - I am going to make a phone call - I will let you know the out come.:cheers:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well - no new tools for me - got a "tie rod removal tool" on a air hammer all lined up for tomorrow.;)

funny thing is when I asked him about a pickel fork (what I have always called it) he had no clue what I was talking about - different backgrounds I guess

Thanks for the guidance and I will let you know how it goes tomorrow evening:cheers:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mrvette or Gene or one smart dude

or whatever you want me to call you :partyon: - you rock

the pneumatic-pickel-fork-hammer-thing worked like a charm
(I am gonna have to buy one of those just cause it is cool):D

just had to get the correct angle of attach on it and a couple of bursts and pop it came off like a champ. Unscrewed it and now I will take it to work and clean it up and see what they give me towards my core charge

:cheers: :cheers: :buhbye:

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
mrvette or Gene or one smart dude

or whatever you want me to call you :partyon: - you rock

the pneumatic-pickel-fork-hammer-thing worked like a charm
(I am gonna have to buy one of those just cause it is cool):D

just had to get the correct angle of attach on it and a couple of bursts and pop it came off like a champ. Unscrewed it and now I will take it to work and clean it up and see what they give me towards my core charge

:cheers: :cheers: :buhbye:
Gene is the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts