Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I managed to lose my keys quite a while ago, and so I have been trying to get to the ignition lock cylinder so I can take it to a locksmith and have him make me a new key (and even if I don't do that I need the lock cylinder out so I can put a new one in...)

My problem: I'm stuck. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing next. I have tried to follow both the Haynes instruction book and I downloaded some PDF's from corvettefaq but I guess I need even more of a step-by-step guide of how to get the ignition cylinder out.

Here's a couple pictures of where I'm at right now.

Is that next plate that's in my way the "steering lock plate"? And what kind of puller do I use to pull it off? And yes, I broke that little plastic horn contact retainer and will be ordering another one.
If somebody could help guide me in what I need to do next I'd appreciate the help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pop off the plastic retainer and there will be a c-clip under it that holds the metal plate in place. The plate has a heavy spring under it, so be careful. You can remove the clip without a compression tool, but you will need to buy or make one to reinstall. It is pretty easy to make one. There should be a pict in your the haynes manual.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That plate needs to be compressed slightly down, not pulled off. As posted, it has a heavy spring under it.
I find it easier to use a lock plate compressor tool to move the plate just enough to uncover the locking ring which sets in a groove in the steering shaft. I use two small long neck flat blade screwdrivers to pop the ring. One keeps the ring from rotating, the other to pop the ring out of the groove.
Here's the tool I use. But you could make your own one to work.
http://www.etoolcart.com/steeringwheellockplatecompressor.aspx
Keep track of your parts as removed. :cheers:

·
Registered
910 Posts
New lock with 2 keys is about 10 bucks at most parts stores. Fit most GM's of that era.
If you have an Autozone, they will rent you the tool for free.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys, I will try that stuff out tomorrow hopefully and see how things go.

010752 - what tool are you talking about? The one to press down on that plate and compress the spring? Or some other tool?

And, while I'm at it, I might as well ask about the door lock cylinders... I am lost as to how I'm going to get those out, too. I cannot see the cylinder at all and I've even used my little fiber optic snake camera to try and look in the door and see it, but still no luck. I never realized losing my keys was going to be this much of a pain in the ass. lol. Once I get this figured out I'm definitely having like 10 sets of keys made and put in different places where I won't lose them! :smack

·
Registered
265 Posts
Your manual may give more/clearer details on door lock cylinder removal.
The basics are: remove inner door trim panel. Roll the side glass up or until it gives max clearance. It's a tight fit in there, but easier once you've done it.
I like to release the linkage from the cylinder first.
There's a small clip @ the back of the cylinder holding link rod. Looks something like this:
http://corvettespecialty.com/door-lock-pawl-retainer-clips
Carefully pop it loose, but don't loose this little clip. I use a pencil magnet to catch it.
Now you're ready to release the lock cylinder, and it will pull out from the outside of car.
You should find a spring steel retainer clip, with it's bent edge accessible facing the door hinges (fwd). I use a small pair of vise grips or screwdriver to grab and pull it fwd.
Looks something like this:
http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={883B3ECA-9E5A-4A8F-96D0-87129713AC77}&gid={EF78ABD0-8B3F-4694-AC07-CEA4F1A0F4AA}&pname=69-73+Door+Lock+Set+%28Square+Key%29&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=GL2-SR&CTitle=&

Don't forget to get new gaskets that fit between lock cyl and the car door.
Shoot some 'Lock Eze' into your locks once a year or so, this will keep 'em working trouble free for years!

When you get new key copies made, try them out first. I found this one out the hard way, by trusting little chickie at the hardware store...:lookinup:

It may be hard to enjoy the term 'Have Fun' on this task, but working on these cars is fun! Or are we just nuts?! :crazy:
:cheers:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your manual may give more/clearer details on door lock cylinder removal.
The basics are: remove inner door trim panel. Roll the side glass up or until it gives max clearance. It's a tight fit in there, but easier once you've done it.
I like to release the linkage from the cylinder first.
There's a small clip @ the back of the cylinder holding link rod. Looks something like this:
http://corvettespecialty.com/door-lock-pawl-retainer-clips
Carefully pop it loose, but don't loose this little clip. I use a pencil magnet to catch it.
Now you're ready to release the lock cylinder, and it will pull out from the outside of car.
You should find a spring steel retainer clip, with it's bent edge accessible facing the door hinges (fwd). I use a small pair of vise grips or screwdriver to grab and pull it fwd.
Looks something like this:
http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={883B3ECA-9E5A-4A8F-96D0-87129713AC77}&gid={EF78ABD0-8B3F-4694-AC07-CEA4F1A0F4AA}&pname=69-73+Door+Lock+Set+%28Square+Key%29&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=GL2-SR&CTitle=&

Don't forget to get new gaskets that fit between lock cyl and the car door.
Shoot some 'Lock Eze' into your locks once a year or so, this will keep 'em working trouble free for years!

When you get new key copies made, try them out first. I found this one out the hard way, by trusting little chickie at the hardware store...:lookinup:

It may be hard to enjoy the term 'Have Fun' on this task, but working on these cars is fun! Or are we just nuts?! :crazy:
:cheers:
Oh, sometimes I think we're nuts, but I'm an auto major in school and classic muscle cars is what I want to work on, so I enjoy it. Especially when I look at a lot of the cars on here and realize what the potential is for my car. I probably won't hold on to it real long, but I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of it while I have it (once I get it running that is...). Then comes the dream car :D

Thanks for the advice! :cheers:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I will try that stuff out tomorrow hopefully and see how things go.

010752 - what tool are you talking about? The one to press down on that plate and compress the spring? Or some other tool?

And, while I'm at it, I might as well ask about the door lock cylinders... I am lost as to how I'm going to get those out, too. I cannot see the ignition lock cylinder at all and I've even used my little fiber optic snake camera to try and look in the door and see it, but still no luck. I never realized losing my keys was going to be this much of a pain in the ass. lol. Once I get this figured out I'm definitely having like 10 sets of keys made and put in different places where I won't lose them! :smack
Only way I know, is to drill out the locking pin in the lock cylinder. It's hard as crap, and can be a pain to get a drill in the right spot. Once its drilled, it should slide out. Take your time.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Have you tried to take you VIN number to your local Chevrolet dealer with proof of ownership and see if GM has a record of which key to re-make for your car?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a new set of ignition, door, and storage compartment locks and keys from Zips. I took the ignition cylinder down to a local locksmith and he said that he could not make new keys for me... Don't ask me why, I'm not completely sure, but he couldn't do it.
So anyways, I have new keys already and the ignition cylinder is reinstalled. Now I'm trying to compress the lock plate so that I can install the "key" to hold the steering shaft in place, but I just cannot seem to compress it quite far enough. I just got my car down to the shop at school where I will have access to even more tools (and my Matco/Snap-On order finally showed up so I have more of my own tools, too!) and I will try to get it all put back together.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i remember when i was trying to do this on my car (tried to remove aftermarket ignition lock cylinder), it was the telescoping shaft that kept "telescoping" no matter how tight it was "locked" in place.

as i was tightening down the lock plate depressor, the telescoping shaft kept coming up.

i recollect i had to get really creative on how to tighten that sucker up and even then i just barely made it.

i wasn't able to remove the aftermarket lock cylinder, but after turning the house upside down, i luckily found the missing spare key. so problem averted (for now). it's one of those Medeco keys, which unfortunately says "do not duplicate".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i remember when i was trying to do this on my car (tried to remove aftermarket ignition lock cylinder), it was the telescoping shaft that kept "telescoping" no matter how tight it was "locked" in place.

as i was tightening down the lock plate depressor, the telescoping shaft kept coming up.

i recollect i had to get really creative on how to tighten that sucker up and even then i just barely made it.

i wasn't able to remove the aftermarket lock cylinder, but after turning the house upside down, i luckily found the missing spare key. so problem averted (for now). it's one of those Medeco keys, which unfortunately says "do not duplicate".
That's the problem I'm running into now... How to re-compress the spring so that I can install that c-clip/key. I have no idea how I'm going to go about doing it because I can't use a lock plate compressor because the shaft will just slide right out. I've tried using prybars and screwdrivers to no avail.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You have to use a temporary bolt in place of the "star bolt" to lock the telescoping shaft.
Depending on the type of compressor you have, the head may have to be smaller than the od of the shaft.
I use an allen socket head as shown, but you can also round off a regular bolt head with a grinder and use pliers to tighten it.

Another easy fast way is to get another strong pair of hands, one set to depress the plate, the other to install the clip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have to use a temporary bolt in place of the "star bolt" to lock the telescoping shaft.
Depending on the type of compressor you have, the head may have to be smaller than the od of the shaft.
I use an allen socket head as shown, but you can also round off a regular bolt head with a grinder and use pliers to tighten it.

Another easy fast way is to get another strong pair of hands, one set to depress the plate, the other to install the clip.

I don't see how putting a bolt in the end of the shaft does anything :lookinup: I can't use it as leverage because the shaft will just slide right out. And I don't see how using a compressor will compress the spring, because again, it would never build up pressure against the lock plate because the shaft would slide right out...
I have tried compressing the plate with a prybar and screwdriver and having someone slide the key in, but I just cannot seem to compress the spring enough to reveal the slots for the key.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Disregard what I just said... I tried threading the star bolt into the shaft just to see for myself what would happen, and whaddya know, it locks the shaft in place. I feel like a dumbass now.
Thanks 010752 for explanation - I didn't think it worked like that, but I was wrong!
I think I can get this thing together now! haha

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Once you see how it all fits together, it's not that tough. THe rod in the center the bolt pushes on to lock the column can be put in backwards- watch for that one.

While you're buying tools- they make a lock plate remover that has that addtional bolt made into it- set it in place and it locks the telescopic shaft for you.

The door locks have two clips- one holds the rod on the lever, and the second one holds the cylinder in the door- looks like a horse shoe with a hump in the middle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts