Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well i dismantled my steering rack and unfortunenatly the leak i had was a worst case possible as the rack hadnt been maintained for 20 years, and as it was an early one it did not have the iron sleeve inside, so it had worn the bore out and was leaking, the workshop mannaul says all you can do is replace it,

so i did some reaserach into rebuilts and this is what i found

www.madvet.com 606-790 $379 i think thats with out core

Corvette central 564247 $200 with core

corvette america and hecklers didnt have rebuilts

does any one know of any other copanies out their and which company is most realiable and quality?

plus my car is a 86 convertible, is that the sport steering rack or regular as i noticed the rear fibre glass spring says sport/convertible wondering if the steering is the same for the convertible or if its the standard??

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77329&page=2
will upload pics 2morro but check this link as i have 90% finished the rear suspension and front all nice and restored

thanks for the help in adavnce,

p.s i live in the middle east so i most probly wont be sending the core out, as i will loose to much on shipping have to reasearch that

best regards george and thanks in advance :cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not had to replace my rack yet, but there should be a 3 letter code for the rack. as for places to buy, did you try rockauto.com for a price?

not sure who will ship overseas though
thanks man just checked it out great site got thousands of parts !! just need to go check the 3 dig number

NICKO Did you Try Zip?
whats the address for zip?

·
Registered
840 Posts
:thumbsup: I have an 86 coupe that I had to replace the steering rack on. I had the Z51 ratio rack, and got it from NAPA. I know the guy that worked there and he gave me a small discount. I think I paid around 300 something for it. It's been a while. Rockauto is a wonderful place, considering I just bought 2 door switches and window regulator for an oldsmobile alero ( P.O.S). Try napa out though, I think you might get it cheaper than some of the quotes you listed on your first post. Check for the RPO code under the glovebox for Z51 RPO code. If you don't have that you have the basic steering. Correct me someone if I am wrong. But, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thumbsup: I have an 86 coupe that I had to replace the steering rack on. I had the Z51 ratio rack, and got it from NAPA. I know the guy that worked there and he gave me a small discount. I think I paid around 300 something for it. It's been a while. Rockauto is a wonderful place, considering I just bought 2 door switches and window regulator for an oldsmobile alero ( P.O.S). Try napa out though, I think you might get it cheaper than some of the quotes you listed on your first post. Check for the RPO code under the glovebox for Z51 RPO code. If you don't have that you have the basic steering. Correct me someone if I am wrong. But, I hope this helps.

um i dont the have the orginal RPO sheet as some idiot removed it on my car so the only pecie or paper i have is the one behind the fuel tank the orginal assembly line paper, but its in bad shape as you can imagine, i will try with part numbers and see what i come up with,

P.S does any one know why the fuel has the asembly bill on it? was nice to find though

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have been following your threads, and I must say, you do great work. Your vette is coming along very nicely, and I look forward to seeing it completed. I can get awesome discounts through CARQUEST due to the fact my good friend owns one, and he is a corvette owner too. I get almost half off everything. I just don't know what it would cost to ship it to you. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been following your threads, and I must say, you do great work. Your vette is coming along very nicely, and I look forward to seeing it completed. I can get awesome discounts through CARQUEST due to the fact my good friend owns one, and he is a corvette owner too. I get almost half off everything. I just don't know what it would cost to ship it to you. Let me know if I can help.
hey thanks for the comments, will check car quest tonite and see what i find, yeah on the shipping i think it would be over a $100 by usps and ski high with dhl or fedex, but its my only option as parts are not availible even at GM because the 86 was only around 1,700 shipped abroad and around 1,500 of them where to canada, 20 to OZ 2 UK and so on, so the dealer has to order everything so its cheaper for me, the good thing is bahrain as a dutyfree trade agreement with the US on all american made products so i dont have to pay customs charges.

all the suspension is complete now wound up the front and back spring and put the drive shafts in today, will do all wiring 2morro. will upload pics 2morro

·
Registered
165 Posts
Since you don't have the codes, check how many turns you have lock-to-lock. If you like the way the car handles, get the same lock-to-lock for your new rack.

I put a rebuilt rack from Auto Zone in my '84, and it works just fine. It's a really tight fit, but it can be done. Remove the sway bar bolts, and push the sway bar up to give you some room to work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since you don't have the codes, check how many turns you have lock-to-lock. If you like the way the car handles, get the same lock-to-lock for your new rack.

I put a rebuilt rack from Auto Zone in my '84, and it works just fine. It's a really tight fit, but it can be done. Remove the sway bar bolts, and push the sway bar up to give you some room to work.

thanks man will definately keep that in mind,

cheers
george

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just got done putting a new rack in my 85. Rockauto was the cheapest but any mail order you will have to ship back your core so you have to figure that cost into the total. I ended up going with Autozone. they had a regular and sport rack which is 2 turns lock to lock. A real PITA to get out. Remove the sway bar and also the electric fan. Remove it from the the driver's side.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I just got done putting a new rack in my 85. Rockauto was the cheapest but any mail order you will have to ship back your core so you have to figure that cost into the total. I ended up going with Autozone. they had a regular and sport rack which is 2 turns lock to lock. A real PITA to get out. Remove the sway bar and also the electric fan. Remove it from the the driver's side.
Thanks for the great info. That is one thing I haven't had to do yet, but it is nice to know little tid-bits like that for when it comes time.:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts