Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife & daughter were t boned the other day by someone clearly running a red lite & was also dui I have been getting the royal run around by hie insurance company my wife & daughter were both very hurt now my house has several steps leading to the street.begged both my insurance co. & theirs to supply materials to build a handicap & I would build it they both turned me down as it was a luxurey & wasnt needed so I have to carry her down the stairs to get to doctor & hospital appointments . The other day while carrying her down the steps I fell hurting my back & shoulder & possibly breaking her ankle now neither insurance companies will cover me because I wasnt in the accident & it gets better they wouldnt give me a rental car because I have a vette & harley registered in the state .the other day I went to check on the progress of my wrecked truck& they were putting all used driveline parts on it CV joints Aframes tie rods & ball joints I hit the ****in roof I told the body shop owner I would not accept it with used parts & he agreed with me but said his hands are tied thats what the adjuster wrote up & even found the used parts. Now my truck has 40k miles on it I have no idea how many miles the used parts have now I`m setting here with a busted old lady a busted back & shoulder & the insurance bastards are threatening to take away my rental because I refuse to accept used parts on my wrecked truck.Is it against the law to shoot insurance adjusters just kidding about that

·
Registered
910 Posts
It may be too late, but it is is your best interest to contact a "public adjuster"
They work on your behalf to get what you deserve from your and other insurance companies. See if it's not too late.
It is to an insurance company's adjuster's benefit to keep the payout as low as possible.

·
Registered
552 Posts
F*ck getting a public adjuster.

Lawyer up. RIGHT NOW. You're in a realm where the pain & suffering/loss of work/etc payout could be more than the repair & medical costs.

Don't be naieve, insurance adjusters are trained very carefully to sniff out people that can be manipulated into accepting a fraction of what they're owed. It's his job to screw you out of $50k. Many auto policies top out at 100K. With a heavily damaged vehicle and 2 people having broken bones, it's probably gonna top out the policy. The insurance adjuster is aware of this and doing everything in their power to keep the payout limited

Stop and think for a second....what if your daughter has a permanent limp from this deal? It's time for you to get in the driver seat instead of letting the adjuster take you for a ride.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
F*ck getting a public adjuster.

Lawyer up. RIGHT NOW. You're in a realm where the pain & suffering/loss of work/etc payout could be more than the repair & medical costs.

Don't be naieve, insurance adjusters are trained very carefully to sniff out people that can be manipulated into accepting a fraction of what they're owed. It's his job to screw you out of $50k. Many auto policies top out at 100K. With a heavily damaged vehicle and 2 people having broken bones, it's probably gonna top out the policy. The insurance adjuster is aware of this and doing everything in their power to keep the payout limited

Stop and think for a second....what if your daughter has a permanent limp from this deal? It's time for you to get in the driver seat instead of letting the adjuster take you for a ride.

:agree: I'm not of the 'sue everyone' mentality but in this case you need a lawyer. Immediately. Document everything. Get statements from everyone. If you can record witness statements do it. Take pictures of your injuries. Take pictures of the damage. Detail explanations of how these injuries are affecting your life and family. A good lawyer will use that information, which the insurance company will not be able to dispute, and get you compensated for your medical bills and vehicle damage.

Don't wait too long. Time heals everything but your wallet.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
GET A LAWYER! The insurance companies are screwing you!

When I was rear-ended I got a rental, even though I have my Vette, and the wife has a van. It was MY Primary vehicle that was out of commission.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Everyone take a breath and chill out. :rolleyes:

Forget the public adjuster. They are no different than ambulence chasing attorneys. :down: Any extra they collect, they will keep as their percentage. :down:

If the other guy was a DUI, lawyer up. Assuming your wife and child's injuries are severe enough, you should be able to collect up to his maximum liability limit and possibly some off of your underinsured and medical if his is not adequate.

Your back and your wife's ankle are not accident related so they are not collectible. Your only option is to turn those injuries in to your own health carrier as you simply fell down the steps.

Don't expect the other guys insurance to do anything nice for you at this point, it's not their job at this point. All they are required to do is put you back to where you where, not supply a ramp or factory parts for your truck or even a rental car at this point. Forget them and deal with your own company. Let the lawyer take care of them.

Did you have rental car coverage on your own truck policy? If not, you are out of luck.

If your truck is less than 5 years old you may have the legal right to require OEM parts from your own company, if the truck is over 5 years old, the insurance company has the right to put any used parts on the truck that they can find in comparable condition to the original.

As for getting a handicap ramp paid for, probably not going to happen this soon. If their injuries are permanent or long term, then most likely you could be reimbursed for it later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts