Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock chrome rims on my 2000 coupe. have been losing air pressure for a couple of months now. I finally took it to discount tire to have them chacked for leaks. Turns out the chrome is flaking behind the beads causing the leak. They cleaned them up and remounted the tires. Looks like this will be an ongoing problem till I replace the rims. Tires are strting to go also so will need to get tires.

With this scenario would you:

A. Buy a set off rims craigslist for less than 500, then buy tires

B. upgrade to 18" front and 19" rear maybe c6 rims

c. Look for aftermarket rims and just plan on dropping about 2k.

I was almost at a point of getting headers and looking at a cam and springs. This will definitely put me back about 6 months. Looking for my best options here.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I'm very happy with my Cray wheels.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
definatly aftermarket deep dish rims. 19 front 20 rear...

·
Registered
121 Posts
To each his own - I would go with replacement rims off of Craigslist if you can verify that they're in good condition. I've got a buddy who bought a set of perfect wagon wheels for $75 bucks. I wouldn't necessarily call a move to 18 and 19s an upgrade. So - if it were me, I would buy a great set of used wheels, and a set of Firestone Wide Ovals from "onlinetires.com" for about $700. You could do the deal for around $1200 and be moving on to cam and springs sooner than you think!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
673 Posts
I can say this from personal experience. The 19" wheels have a more limited tire selection than I would like and they are almost double the price in some cases over a comparable 18" tire. Mine came with them already on the back so I inherited this issue. I would tell you to reconsider 19s unless you are dead set on them. They look great though.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I have the stock chrome rims on my 2000 coupe. have been losing air pressure for a couple of months now. I finally took it to discount tire to have them chacked for leaks. Turns out the chrome is flaking behind the beads causing the leak. They cleaned them up and remounted the tires. Looks like this will be an ongoing problem till I replace the rims. Tires are strting to go also so will need to get tires.

With this scenario would you:

A. Buy a set off rims craigslist for less than 500, then buy tires

B. upgrade to 18" front and 19" rear maybe c6 rims

c. Look for aftermarket rims and just plan on dropping about 2k.

I was almost at a point of getting headers and looking at a cam and springs. This will definitely put me back about 6 months. Looking for my best options here.
The C5 never was offered from the factory with "chrome" wheel options. If your car does have "chrome" OEM wheels, they were done after the car was delivered or through a chrome exchange program (like what I did). I swapped out my thinspokes for the chrome version over 10 years ago - drive the car every day - rain, ice & snow and am on my fourth set of tires and the chrome still looks like new. Really curious that all 4 wheels would start flaking/leaking at once?

A - If you want chrome OEM style wheels - you can get them for less than $1000 new from Forum Vendors

B - I would not consider larger diameter wheels an "upgrade". That is the fad the past few years to get bigger wheels with less rubber between the wheel and the potholes. The only up side I see is "looks" if you notice the difference?

C - Most 3rd party cast wheels are not to pricy, but forged will cost $$$.

·
Registered
410 Posts
do you want better looking rims? or OEM rims?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I can't see where flaking chrome would cause leaking but I guess it could. I do know that my 00 coupe has 2 OEM thinspokes on the left that came on the car and 2 brand new OEM thinspokes on the right side due to a wreck and they all 4 leak down. I have no clue why, they just do. Must be something with these style wheels, tpms, or something. I don't like it either but adding air every month or two is a whole lot cheaper than new wheels. Don't get me wrong, I would like to have some new ones too but not for an air leak problem.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I can't see where flaking chrome would cause leaking but I guess it could. I do know that my 00 coupe has 2 OEM thinspokes on the left that came on the car and 2 brand new OEM thinspokes on the right side due to a wreck and they all 4 leak down. I have no clue why, they just do. Must be something with these style wheels, tpms, or something. I don't like it either but adding air every month or two is a whole lot cheaper than new wheels. Don't get me wrong, I would like to have some new ones too but not for an air leak problem.
If that is a "leak" then all mine have leaked from day one. I try to keep 32-lbs pressure in each tire, but after a few weeks they drop to like 30psi. But if they were "leaking" they would CONTINUE to lose air until they hit ZERO. Mine never go below about 29psi. So I am guessing the it is more a result of temperature fluctuations than anything else?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would love a newer set of rims but the wife said I better find a used set. Her words were" If you come home with $3,000 rims on your car we are going to fight. "

When the chrome peels on the inside of the bead it allows the rim to corrode causing an uneven surface for the bead to adhere to. Mine were losing about 10-12 pounds per week.

Guess I will keep an eye on craigslist and see if I can find a set. Mean while will keep the compressor full and close to the garage door:thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have some stock OE C6 painted rims if your interested, They are in my way, Nittos are on the rear rims and may have 40% tread left. No plugs, and still have warranty on the tires. The fronts will need to be replaced.
Just a cheaper option until you you get custom aftermarket rims.:thumbsup:
PM me if interested

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
have you sprayed a leak detect product on the wheel? ( Cheap way, liquid soap and water) spary the rims. I would think the o-ring on the inside of the valve stem would erode and leak air more so than chrome peeling. I would spray everything and look for bubbles, check the valve stem first

·
Registered
606 Posts
If that is a "leak" then all mine have leaked from day one. I try to keep 32-lbs pressure in each tire, but after a few weeks they drop to like 30psi. But if they were "leaking" they would CONTINUE to lose air until they hit ZERO. Mine never go below about 29psi. So I am guessing the it is more a result of temperature fluctuations than anything else?
Mine drop a little more than that but I'm like you, I think the temperature has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Would love a newer set of rims but the wife said I better find a used set. Her words were" If you come home with $3,000 rims on your car we are going to fight. "
QUOTE]

My wife wouldn't know a $3K set of wheels from a $500 craigslist find. It just comes down to guilty conscience at that point. LOL.

Good luck bud.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine wouldn't either till I told her we were running a little short this month. Then her next question would be "what did you buy?"

So far so good with the rims being cleaned with a wire brush and remounted. Haven't lost a pound of pressure in 3 days. Used to lose 2-3 a night. Might ahve solved the problem for now. On to better upgrades.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
QUOTE]

My wife wouldn't know a $3K set of wheels from a $500 craigslist find. It just comes down to guilty conscience at that point. LOL.

Good luck bud.

She might not know the difference but she sure as hell would know that $3,000. was missing unless you've got
one hell of a stash in which case it wouldn't matter.:devil:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Been there, done that several times now. Actually, I disagree that 18/19 is not an upgrade, but that's just my opinion....the car will look more up to date or modern with an 18/19 setup....just think about the C6...it came out of the shoot with 18/19. Anyway, I have 3 sets of wheels now that I went even further and bought a set of gloss black spyder wheels for my C5, so I have a beautiful set of C6 chrome 5 spoke wheels for sale for $625 plus shipping....these would meet your "used" requirement for the wifey! haha... here is a pic of them...I have many more if you are interested....and absolutely no curb rash!

·
Registered
55 Posts
wheels / tires

just my two cents, but i would go with a nice set of polished thin spoke wheels from e-bay and new set of michelin a/s pilot plus.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The C5 never was offered from the factory with "chrome" wheel options. If your car does have "chrome" OEM wheels, they were done after the car was delivered or through a chrome exchange program (like what I did).
Are you 100% about this? My chrome wheels have the same GM stamp in them that my original wheels have. I thought chrome was offered from 2001 forward (which is the year of your car and mine I think).

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Are you 100% about this? My chrome wheels have the same GM stamp in them that my original wheels have. I thought chrome was offered from 2001 forward (which is the year of your car and mine I think).
I am not 100% sure I am not gay (after posting those photos from 1973 last week), but I am 99% sure GM never offered a Chrome Thinspoke (99.9% sure I am not gay).

When I ordered my 2001 (9/00) chrome was not a GM offered option. When my car came in, it had polished Speedlines (cast - Made in Italy). My first week I took the car to Discount Tire and ordered the Chome versions under their Exchange Program for about $1200. What they did back then is, you would give them your stock Speedlines (or whatever the car came with) and they would take those in trade for someone else's blanks that were sent in previously and they had chromed and ready to ship. They would then strip and chrome your trade ins for the next victim.

I have to say, they still look like the day I bought them - now over 10 years of DD use.

Here is what the back of my current replacement wheels look like - "GM Speedlines", but they were not chromed by GM...

They also offered (2) Designs of thinspokes - the early versions had sharper ridges - they later switch to a more rounded-ridge design in 2001 (maybe even 2000 - not sure)...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts