Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend replacing the rear clip on his '74. He removed the rear urethane piece years ago after it melted while being in storage.

It's been off the car for years, as this car sits in his garage. Now he's working with a mechanic to get it remounted and to get the car running again.

Does anyone have photos of a '74 clip REMOVED from the car, and what the mounting hardware looks like to re-attach?

Thanks...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a '74, the rear cip is not off but the stuff on the other side is all out (gas tank, suspension etc.). If it would be helpful I can take pictures of the backside tonight. You would probably get a good Idea of how it all goes together from them or at least what it should look like when it's done.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gator454 said:
I have a '74, the rear cip is not off but the stuff on the other side is all out (gas tank, suspension etc.). If it would be helpful I can take pictures of the backside tonight. You would probably get a good Idea of how it all goes together from them or at least what it should look like when it's done.
That would be VERY helpful. They are having issues understanding how to re-attach it as it's been off the car for a long time and they are missing the connection pieces I do believe.

I very much appreciate you doing this. :partyon:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I kept these large but highly compressed. If you need the uncompressed versions or a specific shot let me know. These are all of the drivers side.

Here are a couple of pages that I scanned from my assembly manual that he might find more helpful than the pictures.

Hope this helps,
David

·
Registered
12 Posts
I only dream about finishing! It is more of a cleaning/preservation than a restoration.

I bought the car back in the beginning of August and have only driven it 5 times. The suspension was shot and instead of just buying shocks and bushings I bought the performance plus suspension by VBP.

After removing the suspension parts that were to be replaced the "while your at it monster" moved into the garage and now the only thing left to remove is the engine (tranny came out last week so I could clean the tunnel and replace the heat shield).

I have painted the engine block, firewall, engine compartment and frame. I painted the backside of all of the fiberglass satin black to save myself the trouble of masking off the frame.

This week I'm painting the bottom side of the floor boards. I'm going to use an aluminum paint thats rated at 650 degrees. I'm using a reflective paint in hopes of turning back some radiant heat and I'm going to sponge it on instead of spraying it on. My thinking is that I avoid overspray getting on all of the new black paint and in the future it will be easier to touch up.

Once the painting is finished I can clean and paint all of the stuff that has been removed. Nothing goes back on the car that looks old. Hopefully I can start putting things back on early next year. But I'm thinking about cutting out the rear bulkhead and rebuilding it for integrated speakers (I have about 6 inches to play with before the gas tank) you know as long as the gas tank is out... Damn there is that monster again.

Besides the new suspension I got a shift kit for the tranny and intend on getting a rack and pinion steering system (the steering needed to be rebuilt at around $400 so I might as well upgrade) and dual electric fans (my shroud came out in several pieces and the price between a new shroud and the fans is almost a wash).

If all goes well I should have a real nice ride sometime in April. The original back on the road estimate was this past November.

Wish me luck

Here is a picture of the back end before it got painted.

Here is the front clip after it got painted. (headlight assemblies are on the slate for a refresh during the holidays).

And this is the engine.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gator454 - thanks for sharing! I can't wait for the day that I have the time, money and garage space to do the same.:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts