Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 CE with 41K miles on it, and I'm completely replacing the calipers, pads and rotors. For my peace of mind and to eliminate squeaking I'm replacing my old pads with Wagner Thermo Quiet pads. I purchased the calipers from Ecklers for infrequent use (the car is officially stored for the year as of yesterday) and the last question I have is regarding the rotors.
The rotors I have on there now are fine, however, they are almost 20 years old and I don't want to turn them again. I want to start new. This is my personal choice.

I found out that there are two types of rotors to purchase from Ecklers, premium front brake rotors and powerslot sport brake rotors.

My car is driven seasonally, and I don't abuse it by drag/road racing or anything like that. However, I want to put on the highest quality parts possible.

What are your recommendations?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Either rotor would work but a word about brake pads. I always use ORGANIC. I have used metalic and they tend to chew the rotors, Organic will not. My rotors are 20 years old and look new. I replace the organic pads every year or two with Wagner Organic pads. They are as cheap as $21 a end so I can afford to replace them routinely. I do prefer the ones in the $40 range .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with your response, however, I heard that organic pads are notorious for squeaking. I have squeaking now, and organic pads and I can't tell you how bad this sounds!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I dpn't have a problem with squeaking. I use wagner organic pads about $40 CDN.
I did a test this spring and installed a $22 set on one side and a $40 set on the other side and drove the car for a month.
The car always pulled towards the $40 set so I replaced the $22 set with the $40 set. After a few stops the car stopped straight.
It showed to me that the $40 set had a little more bit then the $22 set. Both were Wagner.
My rotors are old, at least the 14 years I have owned the car and they look like new. I did drill 960 holes in them, turned the inside down trimming 3 pounds per rotor without any problems.
This doesn't do justice to the rotor but it is a shot.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
you have to stop showing us those shots, every time I see that nut on the outside it reminds me of those beautiful axles you have and the crappy stock stuff we're stuck with :)

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Norval must have been born with a drill in his hand, the man is just crazy about drilling holes. Wonder what his house looks like :)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Like that episode of the Simpsons where Homer started putting holes in his car with a pickaxe and called them speed holes

·
Registered
746 Posts
Guys holes way nothing. Throw on in the air and it just stays there.:laughing: :laughing:
Seriously my car has lost at least 50 pounds to holes. The 4 rotors alone lost 12 pounds between the holes and maching out the center, the front vacuum tube lost 19 pounds and it goes on and on.
The overspray red is from painting and fitting the new front bumper.
But this is an example of holes that weight nothing.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
norval you should have flares all those holes for added rigidity :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts