Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the gauges are shot in my 68 vette. I have been doing some research and have noticed a couple of options one is to buy new gauges or another is to send them out to be restored. Sending them out usually seems to be more money, how come? Also, are there any advatages to getting them restored vs going with new ones? Thanks for the help.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Having them restored is more money because that becomes a custom job where as building new is just assembly line stuff. The only reason to have them restored is if you are building an all original car and want to keep the y original gauges with it.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
:agree:

If you're not concerned about staying original, there are loads of options. I've got old school S-W gauges in my car, but Autometer and a host of others make gauges that'll fit. MyBad79 is doing his as we speak. And for the center console gauges, you dont have to cut a thing. Remove the old cluster and wire in the new gauges, mount to the original face plate and go.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Throw the stock stuff in a box for the next owner so he can restore it if he wants to .... I was about to replace my water temp gauge but I'm sure as soon as this one is fixed the next one goes....

My biggest problem is deciding which design I want, silver or black face, chrome or no chrome....

I want 5" speedo and tach and want those to match my center console. I'm leaning towards either the SportComp or Ultra Lights.... oh well... this is going to be another $500 project..... :laughing:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts