Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys a while back i posted a topic about a glass top that i bought off a guy for $100. he lives in the town-home development where we rent at for school. Friday he approached me if i wanted to buy the car off of him, i said "is this a joke and that i didnt have near what he was asking" he said make an offer, needless to say i have my second C4 now. There a few problems i have with the car, the passenger window doesnt go down for either switch, ive been told that this could be a ribbon is there anyway to hear if the motor is running up and down to see if the ribbon is potentially it? Second the rear hatch weather stripping is shot, how hard is it to install a new? The outside door to window weather stripping is also shot, (weather stripping where the window retracts into the door) how hard is that? The car idles around 210* when on the drive home (1 hour drive 35mins highway and 25mins city) the car would fluctuate between 199-206*. ive always been told the LT1's run a little warm but this one runs a bit warmer then mine. No coolant leaks, not burning antifreeze, could it just me a sticky thermostat? When i turned the heat on, there really was only slightly warm air coming out. (hope its not a heater core but no moister of windshield) Oil pressure gauge would generally stay at middle (40 psi) wouldn't fluctuate to far at all even on cold start, (mine is usually fluctuating with gas, etc.) oil was clean not milkshake or black has 1000k miles before next change. Opti and waterpump were done 40k is that a little early?

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Hey guys a while back i posted a topic about a glass top that i bought off a guy for $100. he lives in the town-home development where we rent at for school. Friday he approached me if i wanted to buy the car off of him, i said "is this a joke and that i didnt have near what he was asking" he said make an offer, needless to say i have my second C4 now.
There a few problems i have with the car, the passenger window doesnt go down for either switch, ive been told that this could be a ribbon is there anyway to hear if the motor is running up and down to see if the ribbon is potentially it?
Not a ribbon in a 93, could be the motor or a bad switch

Second the rear hatch weather stripping is shot, how hard is it to install a new?
pretty easy, remove the interior trim and disconnect each hatch strut to get the weatherstripping around it but the job is not too bad

The outside door to window weather stripping is also shot, (weather stripping where the window retracts into the door) how hard is that?
Remove the door panel, drill out 2 or 3 rivets ( careful not to go through the door.. and then replace, again not bad, just be careful when drilling, I usually tape the bit to limit the depth for this

The car idles around 210* when on the drive home (1 hour drive 35mins highway and 25mins city) the car would fluctuate between 199-206*. ive always been told the LT1's run a little warm but this one runs a bit warmer then mine. No coolant leaks, not burning antifreeze, could it just me a sticky thermostat?
Could be, reasonable cost for the part to change it for state of mind

When i turned the heat on, there really was only slightly warm air coming out. (hope its not a heater core but no moister of windshield) Oil pressure gauge would generally stay at middle (40 psi) wouldn't fluctuate to far at all even on cold start, (mine is usually fluctuating with gas, etc.) oil was clean not milkshake or black has 1000k miles before next change. Opti and waterpump were done 40k is that a little early?
Change the oil to what you use, see what happens

nah 40k seems reasonable for WP and Opti

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, it seems like the window is going to be the worst problem. Other then that, the car is extremely tight, and drives great. he even gave me a corvette cover with it as well. price wise it was a heck of a deal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a 93 A4, starts right up and runs great i actually believe its faster then my current driver id have to go through the RPO codes to see what rear ratio it has, the suspension is also very tight and steering response is better then mine as well. Car has brand new tires (stock wheels don't even have curb rash!), newer bear eradi-speed rotors and hawk pads (stops on a dime), as well as a fresh alignment. Waterpump and opti done at kerbeck chevrolet at 40k. Ignition control module just replaced as well. Fresh inspection at 9/12. No accidents, headlights work perfect, AC works, and ill be third owner. Besides the window problem and $160 (the price from a family friend at a corvette shop) in weather stripping that i will have to buy its easily in the same if not better condition then my current driver.
It turned 76k bringing it home. He even gave me a real nice corvette specific car cover for it, my total investment so far (including buying the top separately) is $6300.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
None yet, i dropped the car off at home but had to come right back up to school to drop the guy his plates, registration and insurance card off. Plus its finals week so once i get home for winter break ill get some.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After getting done finals and getting the car washed and polished up (trust me it needed it) heres what she looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i thought it came out pretty good, thats one of my dads stashed "gems" Heres a pic with a little more detail. if you know early C3's you can probably figure out what it is.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts