Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellaz,

2 questions...first. Need to replace my rear brake pads and have been really frustrated with the amount of brake dust from my current (assuming gm stock) pads. What brake pads would you guys recommend that are a good pad with low low dust?

Also, while I am replacing them...thought about putting on the AC Delco drilled and slotted rotors. gmpartshouse.com has the front and rear sets for $259 shipped. Amazing price...gotta assume they are better than the stock...but what you guys think?

I appreciate the help...

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Hey fellaz,

2 questions...first. Need to replace my rear brake pads and have been really frustrated with the amount of brake dust from my current (assuming gm stock) pads. What brake pads would you guys recommend that are a good pad with low low dust?

Also, while I am replacing them...thought about putting on the AC Delco drilled and slotted rotors. gmpartshouse.com has the front and rear sets for $259 shipped. Amazing price...gotta assume they are better than the stock...but what you guys think?
The AC Delco drilled rotors are great I ran them for a whopping 10 days before replacing all 4. :bang After 4000 miles and 2 days of track lapping the hubs were cracked on one of the rears and had heat checks/cracks between the drilled holes on various rotors. Bummer!

My stock rotors, that had incomprehensible abuse for the first 25,000 miles of the cars life, left largely perfect, no cracks, and might have only needed to be cut just a bit and could have been reused. I liked them.

Since I am now track racing the car, I decided on a whim to use rotors that my mechanic sources locally but said were freaking great. They are like $40 a piece. But, not "pretty" like drilled/slotted. I put this rotor through 8 days of hateful track punishment, and those suckers stopped violently and still look new! Never faded... no cracks... but lots of brake dust! I plan to keep using them, and their cheap.

Yes, I have to deal with brake dust. But I've run carbon ceramic pads and although the brake dust goes away they always sound dry and scratchy during normal braking.:huh:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,613 Posts
Listen to the wise man, young grasshopper. The way he ABUSES his brakes it's a wonder they survive at all.

Some pics of the brake king in action

·
Registered
58 Posts
AS far as brake dust issues...I've been using the Durastop ceramic brake pads and have been very happy with 'em for street use only. Very little to no dust issues. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
torch, i have that same duct tape saying on a shirt, lol

as far as drilled rotors, dont use them for anything more than light street use or you'll see cracking, besides that the decreased thermal mass will only caused increased braking distances once warmed

ceramic pads do tend to give a "dry feel" but thats normal, lots of f-body guys (same basic setup that you guys have as far as pads) have had great sucess with hawk pads, though im not sure about dust....

for a good rotor just stick with a stock replacement or a slotted replacement, also good things to look for are two peice rotors which feature lightweight hats to reduce rotational mass which should help to decrease braking distance and also increase acceleration (altough it will be minimal most likely)... another thing to look for is a cryo treated rotor which has proven to extend the life of rotors (especially drilled rotors), after that look for curved or directional cooling vanes, yet another thing to increase rotor life and braking ability

oh, another thing you might want to look into is a pad backer, most are made of titanium and they serve to greatly reduce brake fluid temps by decreasing heat transfer

hope this helps, if you dont understand anything just tell me cuz i prolly f'ed up somewhere, lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am extremely happy with Akebono brake pads. No dust at all. I just replaced all 4 pads and once the rotors are gone I'm going to use the ac delco rotors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, I have to deal with brake dust. But I've run carbon ceramic pads and although the brake dust goes away they always sound dry and scratchy during normal braking.:huh:
What are you running for pads? I am going to be doing mostly street driving but will try to track my car once a month.

I think I will be going with the parts house rotors also.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
What are you running for pads? I am going to be doing mostly street driving but will try to track my car once a month.

I think I will be going with the parts house rotors also.
I am using a set of new OEM stock C5 Z06 pads. Same kind as the car came with. ;)

The entire brake setup for the car right now can't be more than $350.00! I cringe thinking of spending more on such a consumable item. :crazy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts