Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone !

I just sold my 85 auto corvette and I wish I had never done such a stupid thing. :bang:spanked: so I am looking for a new corvette.

I'm interessted by a bright red with red interrior 1990 corvette with ZF6 trans, bose radio, sports leather seats...

I would like to learn more about this model year so if anyone know something about it please tell me.

I know the one I am interessted by has air-bag and safety belts light which are allways on.

What could it be ?

thanks. seb.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Well what exactly would you like to know about it? I have a 1990 just no bose system.

well my air bag light was on for about 6 months after i got it and it went off on its own. but i wasnt too worried about it.

it could possibly a sensor??

maybe someone cut the wire to the seat belt?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your answer.

I would like to know what I have to be carefull about to buy a 1990.

Is the 1990 always equiped with the big reinfort on the front frame like the early Z51 were ? (like the ones that the picture shows)

I think the air bag and the safety belts light are linked; as you said it could be a problem on the belt sensor that makes the air bag out of function ?

Is the handling better on the 1990 than on the early models ?

Is this model year reliable ?

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
well the picture isnt working for me. so im not quite sure what you are talking about.

but i think the handeling is alot better than the earlier models, atleast better than the 84. i havent driven any 85-89. for some reason i remeber the 84 having a different suspension?

well the only problems i have had with this car is one time i think the neutral safety switch wasnt working so the car wouldnt start. but after playing with it for 20 minutes it finally worked.

and now having a problem with it not starting again, after i did spark plugs and wires.

I also had a problem with ac unit. the ac would work just fine but wouldnt turn off and also it would kill the car while driving.

but other than that its a great car.

once you have that picture up and working i will reply again and let you know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cam post the picture in that way. You should be able to see it now.

the A/C hose have been deconnected on the corvette that I am talking about but if buy it I will make it work.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Im pretty hard on my Vettes,I blew the 90, not the 1st vette that went on me,so I sold it,seems the 78 & the 85 are holden up to my abuse a little better.The 90 seemes heavier steering wise & the dash wont go black on ya.I did like the interior set up over the 85's. The leather seats leave a lot to be desired tho,paper thin crap.Naturally this is just my opinion.Forgot,body flex cracked the acrylic top also.

thats it ,charcoal met,paint was a little worn also

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok.

I will not abuse a lot on the corvette, I just want a more solid body feel than I got with my 85 (non Z51), a more precise steering and the munal gear boxe. I used to drive my corvette on highway when the weather was sunny, no drag or road racing and the road in France are pretty good.

I am looking for a good handling corvette quite reliable with the one I can drive where and whenever.

I have a R&D X-brace that I wanna install on my next vette.
On the r&d web site they says that it can be mounted on the 84 to 96 corvette but I know it can't be on the 84 to 85 without Z51 as it need to be bolted on the corner reinforcement of the frame rails.

So it won't be possible to install it on a non Z51/Z52 corvette whatever the model year ?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I think the 1990 corvette is a great car

Older cars will naturally will need some attention

I almost bought a 1990 Red/Red 6sp with 90k on the clock

for 5k about 6 years ago

It was owned by an older women and well taken care of,

If I owned one of these cars, I'd definitely go with a set of Bilstein Sport Shocks

C4's are a great buy and alot of car for the money

Bon

·
Registered
597 Posts
oh btw i forgot to mention i beat the crap out of the vette :partyon:

but from what im reading online here about the R&D X-brace if there arnt any mounting locations on it you should just be able to pretty much make them on your own.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for your answer !

I ever thought about building X brace front mounting point on my own but I'm a little worry about to modify the chassis structure. (maybe it's because I'm french, it is not legal to modify anything in here so it's useless to do such a thing.) But it would be possible.

here are some of the RPO code:

AQ9: sport seats leather
EXP: export vehicle (I think the car wasn't originaly sold in USA)
C68: auto electronic A/C
FE5: base suspension (so it doesn't have the reinfort)
GT7: rear axle 3.33 ratio
G87: ring gear 8.50 inch (dana 44 is std with the manul trans)
ML9: 6 spd ZF transmission
MN6: 6 spd manual trans
UXO: delco bose 6 speaker system
U1F: CD & cassette

I think it's a pretty good car but I would like to find one with the Z51 and if possible the FX3.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thanks for your answer !

I ever thought about building X brace front mounting point on my own but I'm a little worry about to modify the chassis structure. (maybe it's because I'm french, it is not legal to modify anything in here so it's useless to do such a thing.) But it would be possible.

here are some of the RPO code:

AQ9: sport seats leather
EXP: export vehicle (I think the car wasn't originaly sold in USA)
C68: auto electronic A/C
FE5: base suspension (so it doesn't have the reinfort)
GT7: rear axle 3.33 ratio
G87: ring gear 8.50 inch (dana 44 is std with the manul trans)
ML9: 6 spd ZF transmission
MN6: 6 spd manual trans
UXO: delco bose 6 speaker system
U1F: CD & cassette

I think it's a pretty good car but I would like to find one with the Z51 and if possible the FX3.
Why Z51?
Now you can stand out with a normal set of sport shocks for 300$.
Dana 44 plus 3.33 gear, yo probably get that also when you find a Z51, but do expect that they have been driven accordingly...

Here is a link to the dreaded SIR and seatbelt light solution, it´s a ZR-1, but the same procedure.
JUST THINK ABOUT THE BATTERY DISCONNECT WHEN WORKING ON SIR SYSTEMS.
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Old_Proj/old_proj7.htm

1990, first with the cockpit look interior with a mix of LCD and analog readout, airbag, last with the older style front and rear bumper.

1989, last with complete digital instruments, first with 6 speed manual option.

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
Sounds a lot like my Vette except that it's missing the Z51 component. Mine has the cross brace in the diagram, and has been very reliable. I been through France a couple of times in it (Monaco and Nice/Cannes area). My 90 currently has 155K miles (about 180K Km) still super reliable.

The airbag/seatbelt light is common on the '90 model year. There is a sensor on the frame that commonly loses it's ground and has to be cleaned to remove the light. Nothing major to worry about though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds a lot like my Vette except that it's missing the Z51 component. Mine has the cross brace in the diagram, and has been very reliable. I been through France a couple of times in it (Monaco and Nice/Cannes area). My 90 currently has 155K miles (about 180K Km) still super reliable.

The airbag/seatbelt light is common on the '90 model year. There is a sensor on the frame that commonly loses it's ground and has to be cleaned to remove the light. Nothing major to worry about though.
You´re saying that you actually had your vette with you to Europe, that can´t be cheap...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
many thanks for all your answers ! :thumbsup:

I would like to get the Z51 because I will probably drive my next vette on track but not a lot. I will use it on track only to learn to use drive sports car properly. I ever drive a C6 Z06 on track so I would like to do it again.

I know the Z51 can be outstanding with a good shocks set but I'm intesressted by the reinfort on the front frame that result in a stiffer frame so better body feel and suspension work.

things I like about the 90 model are:

_ the new dashbord even if I love the old one (more ergonomic)
_ the airbag, ABS II for safety reason.

89 model:

_ Z51, FX3, J55

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone !

I just sold my 85 auto corvette and I wish I had never done such a stupid thing. :bang:spanked: so I am looking for a new corvette.

I'm interessted by a bright red with red interrior 1990 corvette with ZF6 trans, bose radio, sports leather seats...

I would like to learn more about this model year so if anyone know something about it please tell me.

I know the one I am interessted by has air-bag and safety belts light which are allways on.

What could it be ?

thanks. seb.
You will have to check for codes for SIR system (airbag). I have a 1990 also. There are 2 sensors..one under the battery and one opposite side under the antifreeze reservor. The code will tell you which one is gone. Almost always it is the passenger side one. You will have to dismantle the side fender to get at them. Sand the frame and underside of the sensor...then smear with dielectric grease. You will then have to clear the code(s). This was a common problem on 1990's....GM's fix for 1991...dielectric grease:spanked:. Under the steering wheel to the right are your terminals. Ground terminal "K" bot. row..3rd from right and your info screen will start to blink...3-12's then 3 of each default code(s) and finish with 3-12's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
1990 Vette

I have a 1990 Z51. I dumped the Bose which was expensive but it was on it's last leg. Put in a Pioneer AVIC 700BT. Nice, was expensive to have put in, but really updates the interior. The key to remember about the 1990 is that it was a one of akind. From the wiring harness in the sport seats, to the dash itself, all would change even though they are virtually the same. i.e. the sport seats will match up on everything between teh 89 - 92 but the wiring is still unique. There are few engine bay oddities and like I said the dash is different. You'll get more HP buy picking up a 93 or later C4.

Personally I loved the 90 interior and wanted the round tail lights and the 6sp. I like the early C4 more angular body than the later C4 rounded look picked up in 91, with the rectangular tail lights. Just beware the 90 is a unquie beast. If you don't believe it look at any of the catalogs. You will see 84-89, 91-96 frequently.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, thanks for the SIR procedure.

is there a big difference between the Z51 and the base suspension stiffness ?

I know the roll bar and spring rate are heavier on the Z51, but if I go with a set of bilstein or koni yellow (the koni are not very expensive in here), front and rear lowering kit, camber brace and polyurethane bushing kit; I think it would be a great ride.

what do you think of this set up ? would it be equal to the Z51 ?

maybe I will be able to find 84 or Z51 springs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi !

I bought the 1990 corvette saturday and drove it 280 miles on highway to home, there is a world between the 90 with ZF-6and the 85 with th700 ! :surprised

it feel so stiff, handling is far better and the ZF-6 is just perfect. Of course it does have the Z-51 reinfort (it is a non Z-51) and bilstein shocks but there is too much difference between this one and my old 85, that's very impresive. I love this car, it's the best one i ever drive just behind the C6 Z06.

Many thanks for your advices :thumbsup:

Should I start a new thread to discribe the car and resolve some problem it has, or should I do that on that thread ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts