Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guy in suv backed into my car:WTF while it was parked in a totally empty parking lot Friday in El Cajon so I need to find a good shop for the repairs. Went to Socal on Prospect for one estimate need to get a couple more from some other good vet repair shops.
Hope someone from this area can help me out, Right now I'm really bummed out.:lookinup:
Rich

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry guys, I just walked in the door from 5 days fishing in Mammoth with my 10 year old son.

My car is in the process of being painted right now - most of the bodywork is done - by a guy in Menifee. PM me and I can give you his number if you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did you end up getting it done at?
Not done yet, got quote from Gene Townsend on Marshall in El Cajon he's gonna cut the back panel out and replace it, not sure this is how I want it done. The adjuster came and when I showed him the quote he said "I thought it would be more" That scares me cause maybe Gene is taking the easy way out and just worried about "profit" and not doin what should be done, goin to talk to him today, 73's are all one piece as you know and maybe he should have figured it to replace the back door to door. Or maybe he figured they wouldn't go for that much, I don't know.
What do you guys think?:lookinup:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Not done yet, got quote from Gene Townsend on Marshall in El Cajon he's gonna cut the back panel out and replace it, not sure this is how I want it done. The adjuster came and when I showed him the quote he said "I thought it would be more" That scares me cause maybe Gene is taking the easy way out and just worried about "profit" and not doin what should be done, goin to talk to him today, 73's are all one piece as you know and maybe he should have figured it to replace the back door to door. Or maybe he figured they wouldn't go for that much, I don't know.
I think you need three quotes. Get three opinions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you need three quotes. Get three opinions.
I got two quotes and the third guy would not come up with a quote just kept givin me the run around "Socal " on Prospect in Santee. Mendez came up with the same fix as Townsend. Townsend has 50 years of repairing vets and was reccomended by a guy I trust highly. But I'm just not sure if I should settle for a patch job. townsend said " it will look as good as new when he's done".

I Don't want to pay him in full til I see it finished, Is that kosher?:huh:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I got two quotes and the third guy would not come up with a quote just kept givin me the run around "Socal " on Prospect in Santee. Mendez came up with the same fix as Townsend. Townsend has 50 years of repairing vets and was reccomended by a guy I trust highly. But I'm just not sure if I should settle for a patch job. townsend said " it will look as good as new when he's done".

I Don't want to pay him in full til I see it finished, Is that kosher?:huh:
PM SMYDA;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Where did you end up getting it done at?
It's at Pete's Custom Paint in Menifee. It's ready for primer and I'm going to have a look this afternoon.

I have seen about 6 or 7 Corvettes that he has done and they are really good. He does mostly Corvettes but also has a couple of Porsches and a 69 Chevelle among others there now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If the 73's were like the 69's,there were separate panels involving the rear fenders...see pics below:

Factory seams exist both horizontal & vertical....so,there are 3 basic panels for the rear end besides the rear fender panels......a rear deck panel (horzontal flat piece) and this rear panel Gene was refering to in link below...
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=13101&dept_id=1434

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The adjuster came and when I showed him the quote he said "I thought it would be more" That scares me cause maybe Gene is taking the easy way out and just worried about "profit" and not doin what should be done, goin to talk to him today,

Just to clear any misconceptions.... :D .........90+% of insurance adjusters
don't know their Butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to repairing
an automobile. I know very, very few who have ever actually worked on a
car. It would be better to label them as Guess-timators than an Estimator.

Profit?.........their main concern is..........How "CHEAP" can the car be fixed.
Oh!......they want it "Right"..........."Cheap"........and "Yesterday".
You know the Ol' Saying..........which 2 do you want.
But the "CHEAP" is far more important than the "Right".

....................IF THE PUBLIC ONLY KNEW............:huh:
Not trying to get into a bashing session but I rate them along with Tax Collector. :surprised

I Don't want to pay him in full till I see it finished, Is that kosher?
I would not recommend you do it any other way.
If I do a job on the side (at home) I'll will ask for PARTS money up front.
All other monies to be paid at completion of the job.
On the regular job, NO monies are paid till the car is ready to deliver.

You can get as many estimates you like or only one.......the insurance
companies CAN NOT dictate this nor can they dictate where you get the
work done. Their "Recommended Shop" list is based on "MONEY" not How
"GOOD" a shop is. Don't let them BS you into believing that the "Quality"
of a shop is based as to whether or not it's on their list.

If your looking at shops ask the shop for references and go talk to the
customers one on one and look at their cars and let them show you what was
done.

Also........don't be afraid to ask to speak to the tech that will actually be
doing the work on your car..........also the painter. This will make the repair
more personal to the tech...........it won't be just another car........the car
now has a face.

I would strongly suggest a shop that SPECIALIZES in older Corvettes
than just any Collision Repair Shop or Body Shop. Most Techs today
are not up on Fiberglass repair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts