Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new BBK 52mm throttle body sticks open slightly when you ease off of the throttle slowly. It will only snap back full closed and idle if you stab or punch the throttle. The return spring isn't strong enough or something is binding. Don't bother calling BBK directly and leaving messages for tech help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not Dangerous Enough

Guess BBK does not think a sticking throttle is dangerous enough to warrant a callback. Wonder what they think a serious problem is! I would take it right straight back where you bought it!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yea, I've seen MANY of the BBK Throttle Body's stick....."many" of them also don't close nice and even either(concerning the butterflies).........I'd try to exchange it and mabe you'll have better luck with another one........you'd think for about $300 bucks they'd make a decent piece, but in reality you have to spend between $400-$525 to get a really well made throttle body, one thats been CNC'd from a solid piece of billet aluminum(not cast like the BBK and others)....."IF" by chance you do happen to upgrade and forget the BBK alltogether, the units from TPIS(around $400 on Ebay, "just" reduced from the regular $500)......and the Throttle Body from Arizona Speed & Marine (being "by far" the best unit in every way) for (about $525) are MUCH better alternatives............good luck...........Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Does it close completely with all of the linkage removed?
I purchased a Summit 58mm tb and the cruise control linkage was holding it open. It would act just like yours. I had to open up the slot (extend it) on the cruise control cable end to get it to work correctly.
Eliminate/remove the three cables one at a time to see if thats the problem.

Good luck,
John

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave the cruise control cable more slack when I first installed it, and I checked it again to make sure there was enough slack in the cable. I set the idle at 700-750.TPS @5.4 V. When it doesn't close completely it idles at 800-850 rpm. When I stab it, then drops back down. Its not dangerous in any way, but still pisses me off because its a new part and it shouldn't bind at all. It did help my 1/4 mile time from 14.9s stock, to 13.84 @ 98mph with a crappy .5 R/T.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have heard of some experiencing problems with BBK. I went with the Summit one. I am very happy with it. I was hoping for you it was one of the cables hanging up. I would be pissed if my new stuck also.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts