Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am changing my stock stationary antenna to a auto one so I don't have to put holes in my new car cover. So one of the leads needs to go to the radio and I know this is so when the radio is on it goes up and so on. What is the place for this trigger? Is it a 12v switched source? Is it lower voltage. I want to put to a manual switch like a toggle but I don't want to burn it up. The directions are not very clear. Thanks

G

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
What head unit are you using?

Newer head units have an "auxilary" power output for turning on amps and antennas. It supplies a 12v constant power when the head unit is turned on. You can do the same with a 12v switch. If using a switch to manually power the antenna, I'd install an in-line fuse between the power source and the switch. :thumbsup:

Does your replacement antenna have two power leads and a ground or just one power lead and ground?

The ground can just go to the frame near the antenna.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense. It is a Kenwood and I am sure there is a aux power connection. The new antenna looks like it has a realy so there are two power leads one red for a 12v and a trigger lead. So I can hook up the red to the battery and run the green (trigger) to a ign 12v source thorugh a toggle switch I can turn on or even put a toggle in the aux power from the head unit. Sound right? :D

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
That makes sense. It is a Kenwood and I am sure there is a aux power connection. The new antenna looks like it has a realy so there are two power leads one red for a 12v and a trigger lead. So I can hook up the red to the battery and run the green (trigger) to a ign 12v source thorugh a toggle switch I can turn on or even put a toggle in the aux power from the head unit. Sound right? :D
Fuse the 12V red from an acc plug on your fuse panel. (hot when the key is on) :thumbsup:

Ground the antenna to the frame. (There should be a black ground wire)

The trigger lead can be wired directly to your head unit auxilary. No aftermarket switch needed. No fuse needed. The trigger power just flips the relay that inturn swithes on the power to raise the antenna. When the trigger is cut, the relay turns off and the antenna comes down. :thumbsup:

A switch on the toggle power is a good idea if you want to be able to lower the antenna while listening to CD's/MP3 etc... :agree:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the only ground is on the unit and it has a metal mounting strap for install and that is the ground. I will have to make some changes being it is a fiberglass car. But I think I have it. If I put the trigger to a ignition power source it will go up when power is on if I put it to the head unit it will go up when that radio is on and if I put a toggle in there I will have to manually hit the switch to get it to go up. I like the manual over ride plus I like toggle switches...:surprised So I am going to test it with a battery I have in my tool room and see what happens. I think I have it. Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
910 Posts
The better head units only raise the antenna for radio reception, not for cd or other use.

Originally, you should have a flat brass ground strap going to the alum antenna plane under the glass attached to the frame corner along with the rear light harness.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. As for if 81s came with power or not I am sure it was an option but not on this car so I am putting one in. I will post the install...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Thanks guys. As for if 81s came with power or not I am sure it was an option but not on this car so I am putting one in. I will post the install...:thumbsup:
Do you have rear exhaust? If so....Good luck! :laughing:

When I replaced my factory power antenna, I still had rear exhaust. I had to drop the driver's muffler in order to access the antenna. :down:

Another benefit of side exhaust. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the side exhaust and got rid of the spare tire bucket so plenty of room.:partyon:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey where does the antenna cable unhook? Is it only at the radio? Can it be spliced?

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My cable from the stock antenna looks like it runs from the back antenna all the way to the radio with no place to hook in this new antenna unless I get a long extension to go from the back to the front does this sound right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts