Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took my car for a test drive after a complete front suspension restoration and the car now seems to wander quite a bit. I installed all Moog parts and torqued to spec with the exception of the control arm mount bolts. (I read not to torque them until after a drive)
Is this normal? After I torques the control arm bolts will it tighten up? Is it because I most likely need an alignment now? I rebuilt everything with the same amount of shims and the all applicable measurements.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
More possibly not enough toe-in. Just replacing the bushings and ball joints, shouldn't cause it to wander. Anytime you change parts, you need to get the alignment checked.

You can do the toe yourself- mark a ring around the center of the tire with chalk (hold it still in one place and rotate the tire), then measure at the same height off the ground front and back between the tires. Call it a little bit Bubba, but it works! And less $$ than a full alignment. Still get an full 4 wheel alignment done, but you can at least prove where you're at now.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
...I installed all Moog parts and torqued to spec with the exception of the control arm mount bolts. (I read not to torque them until after a drive)...
don't torque the cross shaft collar bolts until the suspension has settled if you used rubber bushings. You need to have the mounting nuts tight on the studs before you put it back on the ground.

And Tim is right, get an alignment done. Even if you got close with the camber & caster it's tough to get toe exactly the same if you replaced the tie rod ends. A good alignment will be worth every penny, but there are some techniques to do it at home and save yourself some $$ while getting equal or superior results to a shop that won't want to futs with this kind of car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bubba alignment and then a real one at Addison Alignment.

I finally got a chance to do a Bubba alignment on my car so that I could drive to Addison Alignment. I actually did a pretty good job, car drove like it was on rails with the exception of my off center steering wheel.
Today I took it to Addison Alignment and he performed a 4 wheel alignment and it drives even better. My trailer arms are original but he was still able to get the shims out of the back but couldn't dial it in exactly because the bolt was rusted to the bushing. I told him not to mess with it any more because I was rebuilding the rear this winter.
It took three hours but the car hasn't driven this well in years! I had to fight it on the expressway around curves and now you can hold the wheel lightly with two fingers.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
always a rewarding feeling when you see and feel a noticeable difference from the driver's seat after lots of time and busted knuckles. Glad it's driving right :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts