Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
Being I have owned a few Vettes in the past, I knew C3's and C4's fairly well. With getting an 04 that has 52k on the clock what should keep an eye out for?
A few things I have noticed already is:
Memory settings for the seat, mirror, etc, etc won't stay set. Maybe i'm doing something wrong when ii'm setting it up?

Left front tire pressure sensor is telling my I got 21 psi in the tire,yet I know there is 32 psi in there via a pressure guage. Could the sensor be going bad or does it need a
re calibration ?

The other thing is I'm getting a squeeking noise from what sounds like the rear wheels. At first I thought it was the break pads but the rotational squeek is still there even when I apply the breaks.
Being i'm the new guy on the block here I have begun reading all of the tech questions that might pertain to me but I have'nt come across anything as of yet.
Thanks in advance !
Lou

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Hey Lou, welcome to the C5 fold! As far as what to look for, start with my DIY's. A lot of them address common issues of the C5 including the stickies at the top of this forum.

As for your present issues, let's start with the memory setting. They stay set but you are probably setting the wrong memory position for the fob that you are using. Look at the back of your fob. It will have a #1 or a #2 on it. You need to set the memory position that corresponds with the number on the back of your fob. The owners manual also explains this in more detail, along with some other key things about your car. Let me know if you didn't get a manual and I will direct you to one.

As for your tire pressure, check the other front tire. I bet that is the one that is low, especially when it is cold. Your sensors could be programmed backwards or you are mistaking which tire is the left one (it's your left as you are sitting in the driver's seat).

The noise in the rear could be a few things. The first thing to check is the spindle nut. Make sure it is properly torqued. Next, check your fluid levels in your diff. Last of all, have a look at your wheel bearings. Those are the 3 most common noise producers in the rear of the car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Red Lights in the rear view mirror lol

The car is a rock

Enjoy !

Bon

·
Registered
904 Posts
The mod bug...Once you're bit, you're bit. :thumbsup:

There's no cure for that infection.:nuts:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Im on my 2nd c5, my first was an auto 3:15 gears, current is an o2 6 speed. I havent had any problems with either, like said above, the cars a rock! I dragged race my auto over 100 times. Had a couple driving light bulbs go out, and my current car has a stored code from the streering wheel being turned while disconnected from the shaft, a stage 2 clutch went in. Happend then. I dont know if its because the o1 ups have ls6 intakes, or its the 6 speed, but this 6 speed car is pretty quik! Quiker than my auto for sure, the auto ran 13.2 @ 107 at the track. Track is now closed, cant compair this car. Enjoy!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
He's not looking for mods, he's looking for known issues.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You need to read the owners manual so that you know how to use the DIC functions

1. For memory options to be set you must hold down one of the memory buttons until the LED flashes to tell you settings were stored.
Also make sure via DIC and options that memory functions are set.

Keep in mind if you set a security code for the OEM radio to write and save the password you make up for any length of no battery will then require password to be used to unlock radio
If password is set the LED on radio will flash.

2. You need a good magnet and then with DIC in TPS relearn mode start with LF using magnet near stem wait for horn beep then do the same in order of RF, RR and LR.
If that does not solve the TPS issue then the battery in sensor may be to old and you would have to replace the sensor.

3. Squeek - anything from a wheel lug nuts not torqued down, the low pad gauge is rubbing on rotor, bad end link on rear sway bar, maybe bad/low fluid in transaxle

Maybe jack ass end up and hand rotate a wheel and see if you cannot pinpoint where the sound is coming from

Hello Guys,
Being I have owned a few Vettes in the past, I knew C3's and C4's fairly well. With getting an 04 that has 52k on the clock what should keep an eye out for?
A few things I have noticed already is:
Memory settings for the seat, mirror, etc, etc won't stay set. Maybe i'm doing something wrong when ii'm setting it up?

Left front tire pressure sensor is telling my I got 21 psi in the tire,yet I know there is 32 psi in there via a pressure guage. Could the sensor be going bad or does it need a
re calibration ?

The other thing is I'm getting a squeeking noise from what sounds like the rear wheels. At first I thought it was the break pads but the rotational squeek is still there even when I apply the breaks.
Being i'm the new guy on the block here I have begun reading all of the tech questions that might pertain to me but I have'nt come across anything as of yet.
Thanks in advance !
Lou

·
Registered
247 Posts
my 2 cents

HI

there a few issues you will run across .... let me tell you just two for now .... first one is the fuel gauge or better said the fuel gauge sensor for some stupid reason GM put a sensor in the fuel tanks that is sensitive to sulfur. GM blames big oil, big oil blames GM, the end result is your fuel gage will sometimes read half a tank and fact is you may have three quarters. If you've tried to fix this by going to the dealer, which is something you should never do it will cost you a grand or more and it still might not be fixed. Best thing to do, is to put an additive in the tank from time to time that will eat sulfur. I'm sure that junkman will probably read this so he can tell you the one he likes some are just a few dollars and one is twenty-dollars a can. Take your pick. This will always be a problem as long as they keep putting sulfur and other crap in the gas. I have almost two hundred thousand miles on my car and I still have the fuel gauge issue. Next, since you have a six speed like I do you will probably have the ABS light come on your dash and the DIC will say trac control fail. Most of the time it is not true it is in fact a bad part inside the ABS unit this can be easily fixed for $50.00 go to ABSFIXER.COM you can learn more about this issue at that site. They give great service I had mine back in two days. There are more things I can help you with concerning this car. But for now I must leave. Have fun.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gents,
Thank you all of the heads up info.
Junkman, i have read through 90% of your DIY thread and I'm impressed !

Snup, I got an automatic in my car, it's not a 6 speed .

So I'll continue reading up on this stuff and slowly tackle the minor issue as they come up.

One thing pertaining to the Memory settings i did notice,
and correct me if I'm wrong but if I have the "Auto Seat Back" ( i think thats what it's called ) set then that setting overides the Memory setting for the seat ?

Anyway, in case no one saw this, here is the lowdown on my car taken from the Intro Section !

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1833731&postcount=1

BTW: I do have the 2 volume Factory Service Manual on its way. Those are a MUST HAVE !

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Pickup Trucks, SUVs and other "rock throwers".

Traveling phone booths and texters.

Mustangs.
Add ricers to the above. :devil:

As far as the TPI being in error, it could be 2 things.
1: The battery is dying or the sensor is damaged. Only way to fix that is to install replacements. They usually last at least 10 years though.

2: They need to be reprogrammed or are out of sequence. i.e. if the starter battery has been replaced or has run down, sometimes the TPI will get confused as to which wheel it's looking at.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
If you want to test your battery AND charging system, this is the tool you want. The BA7, not the BA5. This thing will tell you if something is wrong and it works as advertised.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
One thing pertaining to the Memory settings i did notice,
and correct me if I'm wrong but if I have the "Auto Seat Back" ( i think thats what it's called ) set then that setting overides the Memory setting for the seat ?
That option moves the seat all the way back once the key is removed from the ignition. If you have the memory set, the seat and mirrors will go back to the settings of the corresponding key fob (1 or 2). If you don't have the fob or you have the wrong one, you can simply hit the button on the door panel (1 or 2) and it should go to that setting.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
That option is called "east seat entry" and is found by pressing the options button on the dash cluster. You set that up through the digital information center (or DIC as it is called). It works as described in the above post.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I need an owner's manual and a service manual for my '02 Conv.

My mirrors move to my wife's setting (2) when I use my #1 key fob or the #1 button setting - and I still can't figure out the dual-zone climate control. I'll leave it on full heat, floor vent - I'll get in and the A/C button is lit up and it's blowing at the dash forward vents...

SO, yeah, need an owner's manual. Best place for owner's and service manuals?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I need an owner's manual and a service manual for my '02 Conv.

My mirrors move to my wife's setting (2) when I use my #1 key fob or the #1 button setting - and I still can't figure out the dual-zone climate control. I'll leave it on full heat, floor vent - I'll get in and the A/C button is lit up and it's blowing at the dash forward vents...

SO, yeah, need an owner's manual. Best place for owner's and service manuals?
Here's the owner's manual for your car in PDF form. As for your dual climate control, is the outside temperature being displayed the correct outside temperature?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's the owner's manual for your car in PDF form. As for your dual climate control, is the outside temperature being displayed the correct outside temperature?
Seems pretty accurate. I love watching it plummet when I pull out of the garage in the mornings... well, don't love it but it's interesting to see how insulated (or uninsulated) my detached garage is.

I found that I had already d/L'd a pdf version one late night after I'd bought the car (14 mo ago) and stored it on my hard drive. Tried to print it on my old school HP LaserJet 4050, the print is clean but the pages come out all blotchy. Unsure if it's the toner or the drum.

D/L'd the service manual last night, still working on installation tho. Installed by mounting the .iso. Still haven't done the si_data.exe thing cos when I do it hangs up and pushes my 6gb of ddr3 up to 99%.

Anyway. Sorry for the half-way hijack. Thanks for the reply J-man.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Seems pretty accurate. I love watching it plummet when I pull out of the garage in the mornings... well, don't love it but it's interesting to see how insulated (or uninsulated) my detached garage is.

I found that I had already d/L'd a pdf version one late night after I'd bought the car (14 mo ago) and stored it on my hard drive. Tried to print it on my old school HP LaserJet 4050, the print is clean but the pages come out all blotchy. Unsure if it's the toner or the drum.

D/L'd the service manual last night, still working on installation tho. Installed by mounting the .iso. Still haven't done the si_data.exe thing cos when I do it hangs up and pushes my 6gb of ddr3 up to 99%.

Anyway. Sorry for the half-way hijack. Thanks for the reply J-man.
The service manual has to be installed a very specific way. If you do it any way other than the way the instructions specify, it will crash and not work correctly. I studied it in depth to the point where I know exactly how it is done. Re-wrote the instructions too. Here they are.

Remember, you have to follow them to the letter or the program won't work correctly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The service manual has to be installed a very specific way. If you do it any way other than the way the instructions specify, it will crash and not work correctly. I studied it in depth to the point where I know exactly how it is done. Re-wrote the instructions too. Here they are.

Remember, you have to follow them to the letter or the program won't work correctly.
Printed, burning to dvd now, holding up fist in attempt at a virtual knuckle-bump with ya, 'persheeyate ya Mr. Junk.

errr... not talking to myself there...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts