Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming from a 2008 coupe, so that's my reference point. Just bought a brand new 2017 coupe and it got here last week, I've been driving it around town. Of course I sat in one at the car show and was impressed by the upgraded interior.

In the past I've made disparaging remarks about the design of the back end, but in person the car is much, much more striking than it looks in pictures. The whole car looks physically larger, and the fenders are huge compared to my old car. The proportions of the car have been emphasized here and there, and the eye is drawn from the hood vents to the rear vents to the horns on the front, to the exaggerated hood, your eye doesn't know where to rest. As much as I disliked the design before, when you're standing next to it you're immediately struck by how American it is. It's a big, bold, little car that says "here I am, try to ignore me."

Now for driving impressions. Where my 2008 coupe was quiet and well-mannered, almost soft, my 2017 coupe is quite aggressive. It's a 2LT with ride control, which I insisted on having because once you have it you'll want it on every car you own. This big, bold little car makes you a part of the machine in a way I haven't seen since my 1989 coupe from years before. The 2008 tended to isolate you from the tactile experience of driving, but this one goes out of its way to make you a part of it. I'm getting tossed around a little in tour mode, so forget about sport mode for regular driving. Steering is precise, power is about the same as my old car (I don't notice the extra 60 HP), the car is noisier, seats are a little hard but still comfortable. Visibility isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I absolutely love the view over the hood, those huge, angular fenders are impressive, it feels like I'm piloting a speedboat. Overall I'm happy with the car.

The technology is overwhelming for me, the context-sensitive buttons on the steering wheel could keep anyone busy for hours, to me it's a dangerous distraction, so I only play with them when I'm parked. I'm sure I would never fully use the capabilities of the touchscreen in the dash, although the navigation is pretty cool.

Now for a couple of minor quibbles, the Bose stereo sounds a bit muddy. I thought the subwoofer would improve the stereo system, but the bass is way too boomy and overwhelming, and I'm not even that much of an audiophile. I tried adjusting it up, down, etc, but this is a sports car not a luxury car, so they'll always have to compromise a bit on the stereo, I get that. The only reason that stereos sound so much better in quieter cars like Lexuses or Cadillacs is that they're not sports cars.

My other issue is the diminishing storage. I thought the center console was a joke, it can hold a deck of cards and that's it. And there's now one tiny storage box in the rear deck, I guess it's large enough for an umbrella and a flashlight. The cargo net is much smaller than the one in my 2008. These are minor issues, however, for an otherwise outstanding car.

It's hard for me to imagine how the Corvette could get any better than this, how do you improve on perfection? Of course I said this about my 2008, which I still think was a terrific car in its own right. If you're on the fence about buying a C7, you don't know what you're missing, run right out and buy one now.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,388 Posts
Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with it

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Congratulations and thanks for the review. :thumbsup:

I imagine that dealers are making pretty good deals on C7's right now, which helps with anyone who might be in the fence.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update 5/18/18

After living with the car daily for several months, I'm happy to report that it has exceeded all my expectations. I didn't think I would use the different driving modes, but the difference between tour and sport is like night and day, it's literally like two different cars, Tour if you want Cadillac soft, Sport if you want a beast. I did some spirited driving the other day and was impressed by the handling and suspension, when you turn quickly it almost feels like the car is pivoting in the gravitational center of the car, I was astonished, I never had this kind of tactile feedback in my C6. You have to drive a C7 to know what I'm talking about. And this generation's magnetic ride is vastly improved over the previous generation, the suspension is exceptionally controlled no matter what driving mode you're in. It feels really tight, like a drum, without the extremes that you experience in a car without magnetic ride. It's clear that Chevrolet spent years refining this car to make it an outstanding drivers machine.

I'm extremely satisfied with this car, it's pretty much the perfect little sports car.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,388 Posts
Hey Steve, Welcome to DC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts