Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched all dash problem threads and cant find one similar to the my new problem. So here it is - any help will be much appreciated.........

I had two bulbs burned out on my dash (tach side) - so upon inspection - I determined that not only the bulbs needed replacing but the sockets did as well. I removed the instrument cluster (which turned out to be pretty easy) and replaced the sockets and bulbs (882's) within the cluster (also pretty easy)

However, after I replaced the cluster back into the car, and turned on the ignition the dash lit up perfectly - but everything stayed at max in other words the numbers all read 8888 and the tach and speedo were maxed out.

So my question is did I do something stupid or does this sound like a ground issue. Thanks in advance for any help. :thumbsup: :buhbye:

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
I have searched all dash problem threads and cant find one similar to the my new problem. So here it is - any help will be much appreciated.........

I had two bulbs burned out on my dash (tach side) - so upon inspection - I determined that not only the bulbs needed replacing but the sockets did as well. I removed the instrument cluster (which turned out to be pretty easy) and replaced the sockets and bulbs (882's) within the cluster (also pretty easy)

However, after I replaced the cluster back into the car, and turned on the ignition the dash lit up perfectly - but everything stayed at max in other words the numbers all read 8888 and the tach and speedo were maxed out.

So my question is did I do something stupid or does this sound like a ground issue. Thanks in advance for any help. :thumbsup: :buhbye:
Doesn't Ecklers, Mid America and the like carry a diagnostic manual for the digital dash.

Did the new sockets solder in? Did you clean any connectors while in there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funder, any luck with the dash? I just removed the cluster and was about to take it apart as suggested in the link that you had sent me. I did not replace any bulbs but I did have to jump start my car, and replaced the battery when my dash went nuts. I am going to replace the battery negative cable and see if that helps with the lights. I'll let you know how I make out.
Crete

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the long wait on the reply - but have been traveling alot.

After pulling out the dash and reassembling it - I developed a new problem - the dash worked for one trip then went completely dark. So I pulled it out again, completely disassembled it and and resodered a few of the connections. Especially the ones that connect the bottom board to the top board. When I replaced it, it didn't work right away, but went ahead reinstalled it anyway. When I test drove the car the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. And for the first time, since owning the car I have a fully functioning dash. :cheers:

I'm not sure if the cruise control is working yet, so it may have to come out again, but not for a while. Don't need cruise control around town. The whole process was pretty easy, even though it seemed like a big PITA when starting the job. :thumbsup:

ps - any luck crete?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funder, great news. I still have mine apart. same problem as you, lack of time!It's killing me, the weather has been great. I'll try to get it going this weekend.
Crete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts