Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WooHoo !!!! finally putting the interior back together. I got my new Standard door panel from Wilcox yesterday. The driver side came in but the passenger side is on BO.:rolleyes: Anyway, my door panels were missing when I bought the car so I did not have the experience of removing them. Does the lip at the top of the door panel go over the metal edges at the top of the door? That is the way it looks but it will take a fair amount of force to get it over the top.

Thanks
Wade

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
WooHoo !!!! finally putting the interior back together. I got my new Standard door panel from Wilcox yesterday. The driver side came in but the passenger side is on BO.:rolleyes: Anyway, my door panels were missing when I bought the car so I did not have the experience of removing them. Does the lip at the top of the door panel go over the metal edges at the top of the door? That is the way it looks but it will take a fair amount of force to get it over the top.

Thanks
Wade
It does on an "81. I can only ASSUME yours does.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I am having an aweful time getting these things on. The door handle is keeping me from getting the upper lip of the panel up and over the metal edge. I have looked at the door handle and it looks like it has to be installed prior to installing the door panels. Any ideas?

Thanks
Wade

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Wade, everytime I have had to fool with these door panels I am very careful not to break the pot metal of the door handle mechanism. I don't know if this is correct or not but, remove the handle from the mechanism. Then put the door panel on. Now getting the handle back on the mechanism is the hard part, just be careful not to break the mechanism.

If anyone else has an easier way, please correct me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Door handle has to go first.

I have always left the door handle attached to the mechanism. Pull it towards me with one finger (through the hole) while I hold the panel in the other hand. Once I get the handle though all the way, it is easy to get the top lip on (but it does take a bit of effort) working from one end to the other.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I have never been able to maneuver that door panel past the handle...

and there are two slots/tracks on that pivot...but it's made of cast potmetal..junk...and so the handle will break that part off really easy when the bolt/screw is released.....my door handle is tired anyway, the slots broke off long time ago, and upon fixing the outer handle just recently, I literally decided to 'screw it'....drilled the doorhandle, and the potmetal casting, and shoved a screw in it, and redid the old stock screw also...the whole thing is a ill conceived PIA assy from the git go....my car is a '72....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wish me luck. Hopefully I will have finished pics this afternoon or evening. None of the holes are precut so I have to do that as well and hope I don't screw it up. These things are to expensive for an "oops":thud: Steve, thanks for posting on that "other" form as well I appreciate it. I guess old habits are hard for me to break .;)

As far as removing and re installing the handles. For thiose that have installed the handles after the panels how are you getting to the screw once the panel is on? Coming up from underneath the DP at the bottom?

Thanks
Wade

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Definitely put the handle on first. As mentioned above, index finger through the hole and guide the handle through. If the panel is a bit snug getting it over the top lip, start from the front of the door while you can still rotate the panel easily and put it over the lip. You should be able to apply a little pressure to the door panel at the middle of the top radius with your palm while your fingers pull up on the edge and guide it over the top of the door. If you push with your palm as you pull up on the lip, it will flex the panel enough to get it on, hopefully without damaging the door handle.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay Wade, where are the pics? We gotta see the pics. :thumbsup:

:( Had some pwr window adjustment issues and then a, "while I am at it", clean up of the shop. I hope to work on them this evening. I am still going for the record of the longest project ever.......:thud:

Wade

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never been able to maneuver that door panel past the handle...

and there are two slots/tracks on that pivot...but it's made of cast potmetal..junk...and so the handle will break that part off really easy when the bolt/screw is released.....my door handle is tired anyway, the slots broke off long time ago, and upon fixing the outer handle just recently, I literally decided to 'screw it'....drilled the doorhandle, and the potmetal casting, and shoved a screw in it, and redid the old stock screw also...the whole thing is a ill conceived PIA assy from the git go....my car is a '72....
I got the passenger side on and it looks great. I am trying to get everything done before I shoot and post some pics. Turns out the door mechanism on the drivers side is already broken. When you say you put a screw in it did you mean behind the little emblem you drilled a hole and then screwed it to the mechanism and covered it back up with the emblem? That looks like the way to go instead of trying to replace the mechanism.

Thanks
Wade

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I got the passenger side on and it looks great. I am trying to get everything done before I shoot and post some pics. Turns out the door mechanism on the drivers side is already broken. When you say you put a screw in it did you mean behind the little emblem you drilled a hole and then screwed it to the mechanism and covered it back up with the emblem? That looks like the way to go instead of trying to replace the mechanism.

Thanks
Wade
I damn sure the emblem on my '72 door is a fixed emblem, and so the screw shows, but the handle is not in really good new shape either, it's an old original, so I didn't mind screwing it...what year is your car?? I have worked on '78 up interiors, but only just a few, and longer ago....I forget...

I just had to do this to my '72 here while fixing the outer door handle...oh BTW, if that puppy dont open close the door with total EASE, if the outside handle hangs up, and then releases for opening the door, you got a problem, same one I have, and it may as well be fixed....NOW, as opposed to next month....

it's another whole story...1/4 inch drive with universal joint....

:crazy: :rolling: :rolling: :WTF :cheers: and that last one is 6 pack, BTW....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Gene. I have a '71. I thought that that was just a hard sticker emblem on the door handle but I did not look at it that closely. I think I may go your route for the time being as I don't want this to hold me up right now and I don't have a big enough parts list to justify a mail order right now. As for the door handles. The door open and shuts with ease and both instide and outside hadles function properly.

My nightmare last night was getting the door lock mechanism to work which I never did.:thud: I could get the key to lock the door but when I turned it to unlock it the cylinder moved the lock rod up but it would not disengage. I had to apply a lot of upward pressure by hand to the rod going up to lock lever and depress the outer handle at the same time to get the door to pop back open. I have lengthened and shortened that rod every way you can think of but the durn key want unlock the door.:huh: Is there a setup procedure on this anywhere? the AIM was useless except for showing the parts.

Wade

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I dunno Wade, I have had nuttin' but troubles over locked car doors, NOTHING in my car is worth a ripped convertible top, OR a broken window....and lord knows a Jersey hook is faster than a key....don't ask....

I leave nothing in my cars....work truck is locked, not that I think it's really all that much of a deterrant....

....in fact my door can't BE locked...

missing bars/levers....:devil: :cheers:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dunno Wade, I have had nuttin' but troubles over locked car doors, NOTHING in my car is worth a ripped convertible top, OR a broken window....and lord knows a Jersey hook is faster than a key....don't ask....

I leave nothing in my cars....work truck is locked, not that I think it's really all that much of a deterrant....

....in fact my door can't BE locked...

missing bars/levers....:devil: :cheers:

Wow!!!! you just said everything I was thinking last night just without all the cussing....;) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
424 Posts
sorry for partial thread jack, but i figured i'd ask, would a 74-77 door panel fit on a 78-82 door?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry for partial thread jack, but i figured i'd ask, would a 74-77 door panel fit on a 78-82 door?
I am not really sure but I am wanting to say no they are diffeent. I bought mine from Wilcox. they should be able to tell you for sure. Also if you buy from Wilcox make sure you go through Ebay and not their actual website. The parts are a lot cheaper through Ebay. I contacted them via email and some guy said oh that is because they are on sale but that would be ending soon on Ebay. Funny, that was 2 months ago and the auction is still going and has been renewed several times.:crazy: Other than this I am happy with them and the panels were actually drop shipped from Corvette America.

:cheers:
Wade

1 - 18 of 18 Posts