Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a new LS6 installed in my 2000FRC and have been breaking it in. Been varying the speeds for the first 500 miles. The first 250 miles have been on the freeway / city. On the freeway I never took it out of 5th gear and never exceeded 65MPH. It did burn some oil in the process. Have I hurt the engine by doing that? The last 250 miles has been on the freeway in 6th gear varying the speeds and never exceeed 65MPH. Flame suit on.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I don't think you've done any damage, but I would give it some decent runs through the gears. Don't hammer it to redline, but run it up to 4-4.5k occasionally before you shift. Theory is that it helps the rings seat properly.

Everyone's got a different idea of what to do, but make sure you change the oil soon. If it's a GM crate motor, follow their recommendations. No sense in voiding whatever warranty they gave you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you've done any damage, but I would give it some decent runs through the gears. Don't hammer it to redline, but run it up to 4-4.5k occasionally before you shift. Theory is that it helps the rings seat properly.

Everyone's got a different idea of what to do, but make sure you change the oil soon. If it's a GM crate motor, follow their recommendations. No sense in voiding whatever warranty they gave you.
Thanks for the info! Do you think the reason I burned some oil is because I was at a high rpm in 5th gear? I guess I'm just alittle paranoid.:buhbye:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
define burned some oil? was it blue smoke? did the level just drop from initial fill? noticeable leak?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
how about since the add? When a brand new engine is started up you'll lose some oil into the lifters, the little corners in the valleys and just other "parasitic" loss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about since the add? When a brand new engine is started up you'll lose some oil into the lifters, the little corners in the valleys and just other "parasitic" loss.
I havent added any since I think thats what bothers me. Time will tell though! Thanks for the help.!

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
No problems. best time for a standardization read is in the morning before the car is started when it's on the same level parking spot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts