Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have yet to hear from the doctor, I took myself off my medicines and everything has cleared up. So Kids Stay off drugs, they are bad for ya.

as for the motor, ran a compression check All cylinders are 165 to 175 except #7. #7 was 140. using the 'stuck fuel injector' theory that was thrown out and the fact that plug is fuel fouled. Im thinking that cylinder had little oil in it, I did do the other cylinders first to get oil cranked around but I cant get oil in the spark plug port.

Using the Service Manual math 119 is the minimal allowable compression based off my other cylinders. So now Im saving up for a set of fuel injectors and new plugs and we will see what happens.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When it comes to doing compression checks, you want consistency.
You have a bad cylinder and it should be addressed.
A bad injector is not going to change your compression test value

Your next step should be to perform a leak down test to try and isolate where you are having a problem.
Hopefully, it's just a bad valve or gasket.
It could also be a broken ring which if left unfixed could cause major issues.

If the cylinder was flooding with fuel, it could have washed the walls and ruined the rings.
Do what you can to get some oil in there and recheck.
The leak down test will let you know if it's going past the rings.

·
Banned
591 Posts
I never waste time with compression checks unless it's all I have
I always do the leakdown test

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I never waste time with compression checks unless it's all I have
I always do the leakdown test
For those of us who don't know, explain what each test does and what the advantage is with one test over the other. Also, does the motor have to come out of the car for these test?

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
not sure if you are aware of it or not, but there is a known issue with #7 piston ring sealing.

A compression test should be fairly consistent across all cylinders, but only tells you what the cranking compression of that one cylinder is.

A leakdown test takes the compression test to another level. It gives you a reference cylinder pressure, and then allows you to see how much of that compression is lost over a given period of time.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Sorry about your problem. How many miles does the motor have? Hopefully GM corrected the #7 issue as the years went along. My 99 never had any problems at all, i owned it for 6 years. Raced the crap out of it too, i just picked up a cherry 02 6 speed a couple mo ths ago. Good luck, i'll stay tuned.

·
Banned
591 Posts
For those of us who don't know, explain what each test does and what the advantage is with one test over the other. Also, does the motor have to come out of the car for these test?
no , the motor doesn't come out:thud:

you connect the hose to each cylinder at TDC and pump air in and then read the gauge
On a race engine , if it's 10 to 15% , it may be time to freshen up
a street engine, up to maybe 25 to 30%
it depends where the majority of the air is going

this test tells almost all in one swoop
when you listen to the engine, you will hear where the air is escaping , telling you ex or intake valve , rings , head gasket/cracked block

if leakdown is good , then I may go with a compression check just to see if the valves are opening.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The other thing you can do to varify is take the # 7 injector and move it to #1 and put the #1 injector in #7 position and see if the miss moves. also if it doesnt move try swapping the coil pack. and while the engine is running is there smoke comming out of the exhaust?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts