Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the new Ford Explorer snuck up on me. I didn't hear about it until it was advertised on TV. I looked up the specs and was more than a little surpised. I've never been much of an Explorer fan, but the one my in-laws had with the V8 was pretty tough.

Now they only offer a V6. It's primarily a FWD car. CAR being the operative word. I understand the switch to unit construction, but a primarily FWD platform is rediculous. For equal money, you could get the new Grand Cherokee with the good motor and usable offroad capabilities. The Explorer offers a maximum 5000 lb towing capacity, while the Cherokee nearly doubles that.

In short, the Explorer is really just a bigger Ford Edge, with the history of a sport utility.

·
Employee of the Year
1,180 Posts
It's not really a SUV - it's a station wagon. I actually need something I can drive off road, but I don't think the new Explorer will fill the bill. :down:

·
Registered
476 Posts
The Expedition was always where it was at, the first vehicle i drove was a '97 and the thing was unstoppable in winter never lost traction, extremely easy to drive vehicle, comfortable, and you do anything with that truck. Only problem we ever had was with it was the transmission... ford really doesnt know how to build an automatic.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not really a SUV - it's a station wagon. I actually need something I can drive off road, but I don't think the new Explorer will fill the bill. :down:
My wife really likes the new Cherokee - plenty capable offroad, but a pleasure to drive on. With the death of the Trailblazer, the Cherokee is one of the few choices left for a midsize SUV from America. I guess they still build the Durango, but I've never thought much of it. The Grand Cherokee is approaching the size of the big SUV's, but still drives like it is smaller.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Yep, its 2011 meet the new Taurus stationwagon better know as the Explorer.

At this rate they could make a 2 door wagon off the Fusion platfom and call it the Broncho III.

Even do an Al Cowlings Edition. White extrior with tan interior and a bloody glove in the glove compatment

1 - 5 of 5 Posts