Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a trip to Funfest & Bowling Green.
Have a new 2010 Grand Sport. The brake dust on this trip
is unbelieveable.
How can you check if something is not right or does this type of brakes put out a lot of dust? It only has 2,000 miles on it.
What can I do or should I have it checked out by GM.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
is unbelievable.
How can you check if something is not right or does this type of brakes put out a lot of dust? It only has 2,000 miles on it.
Any ideas?
You could go with low-dust pads or revel in happiness with the knowledge that high performance pads will dust 3 times as much:laughing:

·
Registered
980 Posts
You should sell the car to me for pennies on the dollar because it can't be worth anything with all of that brake dust covering your wheels. I'll give you $10 grand for it.

Kidding :cheers:, just grab some wheel cleaner and wipe the stuff off, or better yet, have your wheels painted black so you can't see the brake dust.

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you don't end up replacing the pads, I would recommend trying the Armour All wheel protectant. I use it on all my vehicles including my c5 with black rims. It repels about 90% of dust and it makes wiping the rest off a breeze.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same problem, I clean mine regulary as they do dust alot. I have the Grey Wheels on my Grand Sport and it gives them a redish tint. But I prepped the car and wheels with Zaino and then a little spray and it wipes right off.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Drive it as fast as it will go and try to blow that brake dust off of the wheels...

It may not work, but you'll be so pumped with adrenaline telling your buddies how fast that thing is that you will forget all about the brake dust.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
High preformance breaks create a lot of dust. Its always been a fact and it will always be a fact. I don't understand why people get upset about it. Its not going away...:huh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
is unbelieveable.
Any ideas?
Mine does the same thing. And as the one guy said it is red. I have chrome wheels and it almost looks pink.:WTF
Does wipe off easy though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Drive it as fast as it will go and try to blow that brake dust off of the wheels...

It may not work, but you'll be so pumped with adrenaline telling your buddies how fast that thing is that you will forget all about the brake dust.
At 145 it did not come off! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Grand Sport brake dust

I too went to funfest. I sat in Paul's presentation on C6s. i ask about the brakedust and he says its perfectly normal. Use a good cleaner and enjoy. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I got mine up to 164, but I was just coming back from the museum after delivery so I wasn't aware of the break dust :laughing:

As soon as I got home, I just hit them with the garden hose real quick and it came right off.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You could go with low-dust pads or revel in happiness with the knowledge that high performance pads will dust 3 times as much:laughing:
Very true. However, if you are not tracking your Vette, you can always go with a pad that doesn't dust at all. The Wagner Thermo Quiet pads leave ZERO dust on your wheels and the stop on a dime. If you want to eliminate brake dust all together, these are the pads for you. They are all I run. They are not cheap by the way.

High preformance breaks create a lot of dust. Its always been a fact and it will always be a fact. I don't understand why people get upset about it. Its not going away...:huh:
Oh, I don't know. Because they don't like all that crap on their shiny new wheels? :huh: :D

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
The Wagner Thermo Quiet pads leave ZERO dust on your wheels and the stop on a dime.
I ran Wagners on my 96 C4 and was very happy with the pad. Great price and good performance. A very good street pad but they will come apart if you over heat them on the track.

:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts