Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im going to replace the bulbs on my car while the headlights are out during the paint job.. is there anything special I should get to replace them with ? ? Brighter Maybe
Thanks for the help .. ?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Ok so im going to replace the bulbs on my car while the headlights are out during the paint job.. is there anything special I should get to replace them with ? ? Brighter Maybe
Thanks for the help .. ?

I personally like using newer crystal clear housings that allow me to install more modern style bulbs that are brighter and whiter.

Most of the Corvette vendors sell the housings and I have bought a few sets off of Ebay. Ours are the same diameter as housings for classic Dodge Chargers and Challengers, so you can broaden your search a bit.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Hey Matt which company made the headlights for your Corvette? I still want those headlights from you so when you're ready to sell let me know.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Hey Matt which company made the headlights for your Corvette? I still want those headlights from you so when you're ready to sell let me know.

Kyle I don't recall the brand. It was some Chinese making Euro Clear housings, and I originally got them for a 1971 Charger I used to have.

When I sold the project I ended up using them on my Vette instead.

I haven't searched in a long time but I'm pretty sure you can still find similar housings on Ebay, and from the vendors.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I looked a few minutes ago on ebay and found some. It was $150 for the kit but I don't think they had the halo ring like yours did. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally like using newer crystal clear housings that allow me to install more modern style bulbs that are brighter and whiter.

Most of the Corvette vendors sell the housings and I have bought a few sets off of Ebay. Ours are the same diameter as housings for classic Dodge Chargers and Challengers, so you can broaden your search a bit.

HEy Matt , do you have any pics of yours ? ?
I looked on Ebay and i must be using the incorrect search word cant find them.. ? ?

Still love my sub box Matt.. :thumbsup: Its thumps..

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
HEy Matt , do you have any pics of yours ? ?
I looked on Ebay and i must be using the incorrect search word cant find them.. ? ?

Still love my sub box Matt.. :thumbsup: Its thumps..

Thanks, glad you're still enjoying your stereo.

Here's a link to a set that'll work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/66-6...=Make:Dodge|Model:Charger&hash=item483f15fa3d

You'll have to trim out the backs of the buckets a bit with a Dremel for the larger housings to fit.

You don't have to use the Halos but they do make a statement at car shows.

I personally do not like the purple city lights so I just plugged those holes and didn't use those sockets.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I replaced my high beams with aviation sealed beams and headlight conversion for my low beams but installed 8000k dual beam HID's (high and low). They are plenty bright. Here is a pic of the low beams

·
Registered
978 Posts
I replaced my high beams with aviation sealed beams and headlight conversion for my low beams but installed 8000k dual beam HID's (high and low). They are plenty bright. Here is a pic of the low beams
Can you ellaborate on what is required to convert to HIDs on the stock units. Id love to have a setup like that! If you have any other pictures that would be great.

I plan on doing the Firebird electric actuator conversion, and while Im at it HIDs would be nice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can you ellaborate on what is required to convert to HIDs on the stock units. Id love to have a setup like that! If you have any other pictures that would be great.

I plan on doing the Firebird electric actuator conversion, and while Im at it HIDs would be nice :thumbsup:
I would love some more detailed information as well. I have HID's on my '10 Cadillac CTS and I would love to have lights like those on the Ol' Vette :partyon:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Keep in mind guys, going with after market housings and more powerful bulbs...not to mention HID lighting...your stock headlight power system will be inadequate.

The power all runs through the headlight switch. It may overheat from the extra draw and your lights will go on and off until the switch itself fails.

There is a wiring fix though, where you run dedicated power to the front for the lows and highs and use relays, triggered by the original headlight wiring, to turn the lights on and off.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Stock switches are inadequate for stock headlamps when modern standards are applied. We won't even get into the condition of the main power wires/connections in our interiors.

Those crystal lenses are mostly for appearance, I've tried several on motorcycles and found any gain in light clarity was offset by phantom lines projected out from features of the bulb or housing. Unless you park with the headlights up at cruise night, I just don't see a reason to use them.

IMO More gain to be had with the relays added to stock bulbs, than the gains to be found beyond that adding specialty bulbs/lenses.

If you are getting specialty bulbs many of the lower cost color spectrums do a terrible job of illuminating asphalt The little bit of color shift makes roadway shadows blend so it's really hard to pick out details on the surface- ice, rocks, potholes, etc.

At the end of the day, automotive lighting is about allowing your mind to snapshot and process data without hesistation. The light which does it best isn't always the brightest.

good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought a headlamp conversion kit that uses H4 halogen bulbs but I used a HID kit that was made to replace H4 bulbs. The ballast plugs into the HID capsule and also into the factory headlight harness so no wiring was changed. I had to trim the headlight assembly to fit the lens and thats it. The lights work very well and I can see like it was daytime with the 8000k capsules. I got the 10000k bulbs by mistake and they were way too blue and did not work very well. 6000k is factory on most cars equipped with HID's and are true white. 8000k has a slight blue tint looking at them but the light they produce is white. As far as melting the wiring or headlight switch, HID's use less wattage than the stock sealed beam bulbs!:thumbsup:
I purchaced the headlight conversion kit and the HID kit from a local shop I deal with for my audio and alarm needs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts