Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my vette in 1996. A week after I had it, the right headlight went out. I didn't feel like replacing both(Yes, I did the job myself ;) ) so I only did the one that burnt out. The left side was badly oxidized and dull. I was recently pulled over for a burnt headlight(the one I replaced ironically) so I went to my friends parts store and asked for regular replacement units. They're sylvania halogen units, and they work very well! A lot brighter/cleaner on the back roads. I had to re-aim them last night as one was up in the sky, one was down low. Perfect now.

I know there was a big debate on silver stars/hellas/hid etc. I'd rather do something else with a high sum of money than put in fancy headlights.

Just thought I'd share that.

J

·
Banned
591 Posts
convert to H-4 halogens and you'll even be happier
more light , more wattage options , cheaper bulb replacement

done this on my C4 years ago and did my c5 too...

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
vettex2 said:
convert to H-4 halogens and you'll even be happier
more light , more wattage options , cheaper bulb replacement

done this on my C4 years ago and did my c5 too...
I have the Sylvania (silverstars?) I bought them at pep boys, and I replaced both my lights even though they were working after 7 years.

First thing I noticed was that the "yellow" tint was gone, the light was bright, white and far better than the factory lights. I don't recall them costing very much either. A nice upgrade.:D

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I think I'll have to do that also. I can't see very well at night as it is, and my lights really suck. :(

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patrick

I couldn't refuse the price ;) So I went with the halogen replacements. It is BRIGHTER/WHITER light for sure. I can't imagine the HID's or silver stars.

When they burn out, maybe I'll go to them. A lot of people praise the silver stars.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Be care full what you buy
55w low beam /60w high beam ..... I think thats what DOT requires
used a 100/100 on the street ..... I almost died when the girl that pulled out in front of me couldn't see me 'cause she was "blinded by the light"!!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I went with the Silver Stars last summer. With the rebate I paid $40 for both and I am very pleased with their performance. Just a hairs difference in light output from my friends HID conversion but $760 cheaper!:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts