Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello friends and all at DC...:buhbye: I am planning on a head swap on my stock short block LS2, 6MZ transmission, Z51 set up with the following mods;

1) 4.10 gears

2) Nice lopey cam. ( don't ask me specs, don't know)

3) Meziere's electric water pump

4) Fast 90 fully ported.

5) 1 7/8 AR headers, bolted to a 3'' x pipe and exhaust mated to rear LS3 NPPS.

6) Vararam cold air intake.

That's it, my current set up dynoed 453rwhp and 441rwtq. I would like opinions on what heads to go with next. Many of you know my previous history with the heavily modified stock heads and valves, I dumped a lot of money on the 243 stock LS2 heads, and at the end didn't perform to my expectations from the previous tuner. :lookinup: Blah Blah Blah...

At this stage of the game I am confused as to which brand of heads would give me the best performance for the $$$$. If you recommend a particular brand please state personal experience. I am looking to be at 500rwhp with the 4.10 gears..

Thanks,

Cameron

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
from all the research I have done for my 402 LS2 build, the Trick FLow GenX 225cc CNC heads are the way to go. They out flow and dyno higher than the AFR 225cc. They are on my list to buy for my mega $$$ engine, and come in comparable to AFR heads

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from all the research I have done for my 402 LS2 build, the Trick FLow GenX 225cc CNC heads are the way to go. They out flow and dyno higher than the AFR 225cc. They are on my list to buy for my mega $$$ engine, and come in comparable to AFR heads
Thanks for the input, the AFR's are a great set of heads, but time after time the TFS heads are the heads of choice for many, why is that? ETP heads cost a lot less and out perform TFS heads...:huh:

Is there any substance to this claim?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Before I went FI, I was thinking about building a h/c car. When talking to Chris at ECS, I think he recommended I go with the TF heads as well. I can't quite remember though as I purged my memory of same once the centri was installed.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I am happy with my Trickflow 225s & Harland Sharp Rockers. I would go with advice of experts. When I was selecting heads I discussed my goals with John P. I knew we would be at an acceptable HP rating with my motor but wanted a wide Torque band that came in at low RPMs and stayed over 500rwtq through my road race shift points. That is what I got with the combination he selected. I would also be prepared to change Cams if necessary to reach your goals. I changed Cams going from the LPE Stage IIs to the Trickflows.

Pick a tuner that is honest and not attached to a particular brand, tell them what you are looking for an go with their recommendation.

But damn the Trickflows are so pretty:hump:

:cheers:

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am happy with my Trickflow 225s & Harland Sharp Rockers. I would go with advice of experts. When I was selecting heads I discussed my goals with John P. I knew we would be at an acceptable HP rating with my motor but wanted a wide Torque band that came in at low RPMs and stayed over 500rwtq through my road race shift points. That is what I got with the combination he selected. I would also be prepared to change Cams if necessary to reach your goals. I changed Cams going from the LPE Stage IIs to the Trickflows.

Pick a tuner that is honest and not attached to a particular brand, tell them what you are looking for an go with their recommendation.

But damn the Trickflows are so pretty:hump:

Thanks for the info. I am steering towards the TFS 225's heads, from everything I have read over the years, they are the best of the best. Out of the box they out perform the LS3 heads ported or not.

I was planning to go with the LS3 ported head set up to save a few dollars, which would require me to get rid of the fast 90 and go with the 102 intake. At the end the cost is slightly in favor of the ls3 head units, but will not equal the power of the TFS right out of the box.

What sized valves do you recommend for my set up? Summit's out of the box TFS valves dimensions for the LS2 is 2.055 for intake and 1.575 for exhaust.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before I went FI, I was thinking about building a h/c car. When talking to Chris at ECS, I think he recommended I go with the TF heads as well. I can't quite remember though as I purged my memory of same once the centri was installed.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Thanks Ira, I am pretty much set on the TFS units, I might even break 500rwhp with them. :cheers:

·
Registered
328 Posts
What does Chuck think? :D

Sorry Cam, I had to. Anyway, Trick Flows would be me choice, stay away from the Harland Sharp rockers, they are junk.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Sorry Cam, I had to. Anyway, Trick Flows would be me choice, stay away from the Harland Sharp rockers, they are junk.
Thanks doug :smack, Carmen mentioned the same thing about harland sharp rockers, that they are junk. :agree:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts

So when you say junk. What do you mean and are they so bad it is worth me changing?

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
You have to use roller rockers with the TFS heads. The harland sharp rockers are junk because they break pretty frequently. IMO go with the new comp cams ones ($$$$$$$) or the yella terra ones for a lot less and arguably better quality.

also, per Greg with TFS tech support, despite the product specs listing the max lift at .600" "the spring is good up to .650" lift. The inside dia. is .680" and the rate is 150lbs on the seat and 438lbs. open. Our heads use a 7.500" pushrods." this is the response I got when I emailed them about specs on the spring because I am running a cam with higher than .600" lift.

Here is a pretty good comparison between several heads, including AFR and TFS http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0701htp_cylinder_heads/index.html

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
whats up cam:thumbsup: im curious did anyone ever use the ls7 head on a motor like yours
Hey what's up jeff? I don't think you can use the LS7 heads for the 364 cubed ls2. From what I have read, the TFS 215 heads are designed for LS1's, 225's for lS2's and 235's for ls3's.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Hey what's up jeff? I don't think you can use the LS7 heads for the 364 cubed ls2. From what I have read, the TFS 215 heads are designed for LS1's, 225's for lS2's and 235's for ls3's.
I'm almost 100% sure that the intake valve on the LS7 head will hit the block on a sub-4.125" bore engine

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would go with AFR Heads. The link that was given before in the comparison was good. Tony Mamo ported AFR Heads are the way to go - You will love them :partyon:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts