Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im new to the forum and I just bought my first C3. Im going to be upfront and say I dont know a ton about cars but Im hoping to learn. Right now Im in Iraq so I dont always have the chance to use the search function so please be understanding.

My questions are these, I bought a 72 coupe small block 200hp right, I want to put side exhaust on it but I want to know what the best one to get is, performance and style. Id like to know how hot they get and how loud they get, any feed back would be great, right now Im looking at the hooker ones, I think they have mufflers inside them and are around $1200.

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
738 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service over there. The side pipes come in several versions, Patriots and Hooker seem to be the top choices. Ther do get very hot, thats why they make shields for them. We got a member in here that makes Killer Side Pipe Shields. They can ve very loud or baffled down to something resembling civilized

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it

Alright well I think we are going with the hooker kit, with steelshield shields

Is there anything else I need to know before I purchase this? I know it will get hot but is it giong to be uncomfortable in the cab? Is there anything else I can do to help with the heat? Thanks a lot for your input.

Matt

·
Registered
244 Posts

Is there anything else I need to know before I purchase this? I know it will get hot but is it giong to be uncomfortable in the cab? Is there anything else I can do to help with the heat? Thanks a lot for your input.

Matt
wrap the headers,heat tape,i think all sharks are toasty inside, welcome to the group. and remember save the:buhbye: :buhbye:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well Matt welcome to the site here you will get every question answered that you might have.. But most of all and I think that every one will agree with me

Thank You for your service and come home Safe...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Hooker is a very good choice. I'd suggest getting the Hooker side exhaust that is Jet-Hot coated. More thermally efficient, lower underhood temps, and will probably be cooler on the sidepipes too. Still I'd recommend using Dean's stainless shields. The Jet-Hot coating is also easier to maintain than paint, and the Sterling color is almost chrome.

Thanks for your service, too. Looking forward to getting everyone home.

Be Safe

·
Registered
160 Posts
Forget the header wrap, get ceramic coated pipes. Mine are from Jet Hot and cool down enough to touch within 10 minutes of turning the engine off. Jet Hot sells the Hooker headers and pipes already coated in their Sterling finish.

Forget the Hooker mufflers. They are restrictive. I have the STS baffles. Good flow and sound great. Pretty mild just cruising but great at WOT. My shields are from Cobrastuff (some people call them cheese graters). Still, I have a young daughter. My ex burned her leg and I don't want to do that to the girlfriend.

I ended up with about $1600 total invested. PM me for info on how to get a discount from Jet Hot.

http://www.jet-hot.com
http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/
http://www.cobrastuff.com/index.html

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a bunch

Well guys I think its done, I went with the jet hot coated hookers and the stingray shields from Steelshields and as of yet no mufflers, Ill figure out what to get there when I get home. And yes I hope that is safe too. If for no other reason then just to drive my dream car.

Thanks a million for all your help, I have a ton of questions and Ill keep posting them.

Like right now, I have 200 hp, and I want a lot more...where do I start?

Matt

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Well guys I think its done, I went with the jet hot coated hookers and the stingray shields from Steelshields and as of yet no mufflers, Ill figure out what to get there when I get home. And yes I hope that is safe too. If for no other reason then just to drive my dream car.

Thanks a million for all your help, I have a ton of questions and Ill keep posting them.

Like right now, I have 200 hp, and I want a lot more...where do I start?

Matt
Matt, first off, stay safe....second off 200 hp....well, IMO, the very first thing is a decision as to what you want to do with the basic short block, that is cyl block and crank/pistons/bearings/rings that is there, how many miles on it, and condition.....

assuming it's fresh enough, you need establish a budget, and then determine what your type of driving will be, wanna race it?? what type racing?? wanna cool looking street machine?? how many miles/year and of what type..?? all city, or interstate flying?? and assume you are Interstate flying, WHERE, in higher speed states like the south, or in anal retentive places like Slohio, or Indiana.....or some other garden spots....

you going to have to pass emissions?? if so, in what state, and how often....

complicated issue and local knowledge is totally necessary so to not waste money on something the local .gov will never approve....

hate to say this, but it MAY affect your side pipe install also.....

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
SteveG75 hit it right on the head and it sounds like you're following suit. :thumbsup:

Jet Hott coated Hookers with STS Baffles are the way to go for a great sounding, great looking, quick cooling, non-restrictive exhaust.

Not to be a buzz kill, but before you plan too many other $1500 projects, I recommend driving her a little and figuring out where the money NEEDS to go. More HP will only make it more dangerous if the bushings and brakes are in bad shape. Do it right and the power boost will be that much more rewarding when you can actually control it! :D

When you coming home?

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts

Matt

Hi Matt,

My good friend and neighbor is in the Guard :thumbsup: ...he did 18 months when it all started up. He is a Sgt in heavy construction... your efforts are much appreciated!

I just installed a set of Stainless steel headers and sidepipes on my '79 (as in just put them on two days ago)...

The side pipes will actually reduce the cab heat a bit....but what the hell, you should be used to 130 degree temps by being in Iraq by now right?:surprised

I few minor things you may need as well:

Take a picture of EVERYTHING before you take it off...this can be a real help when you need to put it all back together.

You'll probably need to get some shorter header style spark plugs. You have to remove the plugs for the install anyway so why not replace them while your at it. The shorter plugs help keep the plug boots away from the hot header.

I'm not sure if they will do any good but I also got a set of high temp plug wires as well....

You'll have some wire re-routing or heat protection to do. I had to get a few thermo wraps for some of the electrical engine wires and plugs.

You'll need to get the car up off the ground at least 24" measure at the back of the front tire to install the headers from below. I used a 3 ton floor jack with a chunk of 6x6" timber between the jack and front frame. Had to go all the way up with the jack but it worked......think safety first! chauk the rear tires and use jack stands bro!

You'll need to take the rocker panels off and will most likely have to notch them so the sidepipes can clear where they come out from under the frame. A grinder helps make the cuts look nice. Original rocker panel removal may require you to drill out some of the original screws/bolts because they most likely will be rusted shut.

Original exhaust manifolds can be pretty hard to get off....

You may need the Hooker AC or alternator bracket for the install as well....

You shouldn't have to pull the starter off for the install even though it may look like you should.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Welcome to DC:buhbye:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks

Thank you guys for all the help, I cant wait to get pictures of the car once the side pipes are on it I think its going to look great.

I have a ton of plans on what I want to do with it when I get back, I wont be racing it or anything like that, and it doesnt need to be the fastest thing on the road, it would just be nice if it was fun to drive.

Ill be back in November if everything goes as planned. 15 long months of waiting for this thing, once we get back we are moving from NC to OK. I checked all the emissions laws and everything is legal so we should be good there.

Thanks again guys, I plan on being on here as much as I can. It kind of sucks now that the car is bought and the pipes are ordered I dont have a lot to look forward to. Just wait to get home I guess.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think everyone covered your questions so I'll just say Thanks for the service, and stay safe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts