Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just bought a used remote fob off Ebay for my 99 and it works great.

It happened to have a key with it!! and GUESS WHAT!!! The key works

also. It will unlock the doors and fit the ignition but will not crank the

car. Is there some way to make this key work or do I still have to fork

over the $75 for a new key.

Thanks,

Glenn :excited: :excited: :excited:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
glennkcs said:
Hey Guys,

I just bought a used remote fob off Ebay for my 99 and it works great.

It happened to have a key with it!! and GUESS WHAT!!! The key works

also. It will unlock the doors and fit the ignition but will not crank the

car. Is there some way to make this key work or do I still have to fork

over the $75 for a new key.

Thanks,

Glenn :excited: :excited: :excited:
If you spend $75 for a duplicate key you are making too much money and should spend that much. Go to your local dealer with your licence plate registration and your drivers license as ID. Go to parts and ask them to by VIN look up your key code and VATS or resistor value. write the info down, keep it. It they want more than $45 for the key cut to code, leave take the info you just got to a local locksmith shop and ask if they can get you an original blank (by using the VATS or resistor value) and "duplicate" your key onto that blank. You should be able to get the key made for no more than $45. I don't remember cost on the blank but $45 might even be too high. Duplicating it will be less than making by code. IF you wanted you can order the key with the 50th logo on it. That key is at least another $10. If you can't find a locksmith to help you email me with your info and I'll look up prices. While at the smith, ask how much to copy if you provide the key blank.

What did you pay for the fob?

By the way, a direct answer to your question is NO, there are 14 different VATS or resistor values, that is the black and silver pellet on the key just below the head. Your computer looks for a preset value before it will let the car crank. After you use the wrong key your car should not start for 4 minutes even with the correct key.

EDIT.. I looked up prices on the blanks, uncut. Depending on the locksmith's mark up...a blank for a 99 would be about $20 plus labor to cut and the anniversary blank adds about $10.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
The key worked??? That's trippy.

A friend was able to figure out my resistor value by using an Ohm meter on my key chip. Then I just walked in and gave the resistance value to the guy at the parts counter. He had my key done in 10 minutes!

I think it was $25. Of course, this was for a C4.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
We sell that key for $20. The C5 key is only used on C5, the head of the key is larger than the VATS for say a Monte Carlo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts