Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed these seat covers a couple of weeks ago but just got them to post. Got them from Mid-America. I like the quality and the color match is great. When I placed the order They sent me samples at my request to pick the shade of red. Removing the old seats were a snap. When I ordered these covers I got them already on foam. My old foam did not seem that bad but I have heard and seen horror stories.
I have seen pix where the covers looked like bags over the foam after installation because the old foam had shrunk. I have also heard it is a real pain to get the covers over the new foam to the point of damaging the stitching. So I figured I would go the safest route.
The biggest problem was the back of the foam where it nests into the plastic clamshell was too large. I could get the pins into the clip but they would just pop back out. Using the old foam as a model, I shaved off a thin layer of the foam with an electric knife. Then testing the piece before shaving off another thin layer.
I have found the best tool for this project is to modify an old heavy duty straight slot screwdriver. Take it to a grinder a form a V shape into the tip using the edge of the grinding wheel. This will allow the tip to stay in contact with the clip and not slip off.
Lay the back cushion onto the clamshell, hook one side of the bottom. Roll back the cushion on the other side enough to see the cushion clip. Take the modified screwdriver and place the V groove on the clip. Carefully push the screwdriver inward and down toward the clamshell. When the clip goes past the hook you should hear a click. Now push downward more on the screwdriver to insure it is hooked then release. This is where the cushion would pop back out on me until I shaved off some of the foam rubber at the back.
I also bought the console cover from Mid-America. Just had to remove the console door. Disconnect the light, and remove the interior trim of the door. Install the console cover using the supplied two sided tape. I was not impressed with the installation design at first but after seeing the finished product I am well pleased.

·
Registered
16,252 Posts
We just installed new seat covers in our 76 Vette. They looked sorta plain when we got them so I had my neighbor embroider the Chevy Bowtie on them to match the color of the car. Yours look great as do mine too!!

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
That looks really good. The black mixes well with the red.

Steven

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.