Very Nice Workmanship by You Autowiz.
Will be Fully Functional .

What's the Muncie 4-speed from ?
Its a 1971-74 version.
26-spline input shaft.
3-Bolt Hurst shifter mounting plate.
Turbo 400 output Yoke.
Is it for sale ?

Once You Hear the Maggie spin to life.....You will want one for yourself yet.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
The rear of the car is assembled and complete except for the sound system and box that is to be built into the trunk. the tail lights are wired all the way up to the dash area and tested. it looks good with the new lenses and bumper..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Got started on the exhaust today. We really want this boosted ls6 to sound like what it is. so This pre fabbed X and a pair of magnaflows are the starting point for the build. we need to mount 2 o2 sensors. and a bung in the crotch of the X for a wideband o2 sensor for proper tuning..

o2 placement..

When we dyno tune at vetteXperts, we like to mount the o2 sensor in the exhaust. not to a piece of pipe that is clamped to a tailpipe. Does anybody know what the first thing is to check when you have a lean o2 code? That's right. an exhaust leak anywhere upstream or up to 12" downstream of the o2 sensor. because that is what exhaust leaks do to o2 sensors. this important bit of diagnostic truth gets thrown out the window in favor of convienience at most every other dyno on this planet. But not here.

So here is the GTO exhaust built up to the mufflers with all 3 o2 sensor bungs welded in..

No cats. 3" from the collector to the straight throught magnaflow mufflers, then 2.5" over the axle and out the back. We might use some tips to match the chrome on that rear bumper

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Why not run a wide band in each bank before the X?

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Why not run a wide band in each bank before the X?
There's no need. the ecu is soley responsible for individual bank trimming. the tuner can't adjust for differences between banks. and just as well, because if you are fueling differently on each bank there is a fault somewhere that needs to be addressed. The ecu still has 2 o2 sensors. so if there is a difference between banks 1 and 2 it will show up on fuel trim data.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Finished the exhaust today. This was some of the longest time I have spent building exhaust for any vehicle. nothing could be welded in place because of the painted undercarriage. And it all has to be able to unbolt and come down for service in the future..

Oh I can not wait to hear how this sounds. It's gonna make some noise.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
One more picture of the exhaust..

I have been trying to get all the wires run and in place that need to go to the rear of the vehicle. There is a 6ga power wire for the amps, rca cables, speaker wires, tail light wires, and wires for fuel pump and sender. Also there are power window regulators in the rear quarters. I ran the speaker wires and rca cables up one side, and everything else up the other side of the car..

With the wires inside of split loom and then wrapped with painters tape, I buried the harnesses under the hushmat. aside from keeping the harnesses in place, it makes it easier for the carpet to hide them..

The carpet will go in real soon. Black of course.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Oh Wow. I am so happy and excited for this build today. American Trim brought back the structure I made all padded and covered in the same leather as the seats. and with orange stitching to match the seats which match the paint. Man, it looks good. I can't wait to get back on this job so I can install it and see how it looks..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Progress update. Underhood is pretty much done. what you see is what we got..

The dashboard has already been recovered. The seats have been recovered. and everything is waiting on me to finish creating a complete vehicle electrical system from scratch..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
The modified dash has come back from being wrapped in leather and man does it look the part. The gto stitching in the color of the car where we deleted the glove box is a nice touch..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I have done this a bunch already for aftermarket or custom gauge installs and other builds. In my early days here at vetteXperts, we would use a 12v lamp. They came in a translucent plastic housing and looked ok. here is one example..

Today we like the color and lower power usage and longer lifespan of the leds. So we start with led's led bezels and a small assortment of resistors..

This site really simplifies choosing the correct resistor for your led: http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

All soldered up and ready to install. Traditional green for right and left turn and we decided to go with an orange led for high beam indication. And here they are installed..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
The android head unit is wired up and powered on, but I need speakers to properly test it. We are only installing 2 speakers in the GTO for now. 2 very nice jl audio 6x9 3-way speakers. They have large magnets under them and we are promised they will be power hungry speakers. I have already opened up the holes in the rear deck to allow for the speakers..

And This is the trunk where we must find a place to mount an amp or two..

The JL audio speakers we got are going to hit hard And they will shake and vibrate that thin sheet metal rear deck. We need to reinforce the sheet metal to try to make it as rigid as possible. I have prepared this piece of metal..

And attached it to the underside of the rear deck as close as possible to the rear of the speakers..

Then it all gets covered in hush mat..

Now we can turn our attention to where are we going to mount the amp(s)..

We can't drill holes in the floor So we can only anchor stuff to the back wall of the trunk/ rear seatback. It's not in the pictures, but there are 2 2x4's screwed to the very base of the rear wall of the trunk. and the back of the plywood sheet sits on top of that..

And to try to make everything look right and keep them wires out of sight, I have drilled these holes..

We will have American Trim cover the wood when they do the rest of the trunk. They have done such a great job with everything else so far.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
All the lights work and the sound system rocks the entire shop. Won't really know how it is going to sound until The glass goes in but so far we are happy..

Still gotta wire up the wipers and the horn and I want to mount the center console before the column goes in.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts