Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to put an LS1 in my vette for some time now. Especially with all the LS motors being transplanted lately. I believe Pat may have really got me to looking hard at it. :partyon:

Anyway, here is what I found for my vette. It is out of a 2002 SS Camaro and has 27k miles on it. It came complete from pan to intake with all the accessories, computer and wiring harness. It also had a set of SLP longtube headers and cats. Although someone gutted the cats, I can't imagine why, they cost $350 from SLP.

Okay a few pics of my new toy.

A shot from the front.

SLP Longtubes and SLP Cats

Without the longtubes

Look how easy it is to see head numbers on the LS family of motors.

The intake is an LS6 version. :thumbsup:

One thing I found to be interesting about the motor is this aluminum ID plate on the passengers side head. It ID's the motor as 4687 SS Camaro. Does anyone know if these plates were put on every SS or is it an aftermarket thing?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
That puppy is going to really wake the '70 up. Make sure you take a bunch of pics of the install

·
Registered
745 Posts
:thumbsup: Good job eddie,youll enjoy it,i cant wait to take mine back apart this winter for cam swap and head work,i need more power,lol

Slp is right up the road from me 20 minutes or so.I wonder if they did a cam swap already.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Wow, thats going to be the hot setup!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I broke into the motor this evening hoping for good things. Well I did find that the motor is nice and clean around the valve train anyway. I would think this would be a good indication of what is to be found below.

Pat, I am like you. I don't even have it running yet but am wanting to add a little cam to it just for kicks.

The SLP headers are going to go in my sons 2000 Z28 hopefully. He said he wants them so...........I guess I will be getitng to help him install a set of headers in the future.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Welcome to the LS club...once you go LS, you won't ever go back to anything else.

Have you seen the new LSx blocks from GM performance? The current one will go 480 CID, with a 500 CID tall block coming soon. The exterior motor mounts, etc. are all the same as the LS1,2,6,7 blocks.

The performance you will gain from this motor will blow your mind...shave 200 lbs off the car...yet, it will idle and cruise just as smooth as a cadillac.

What trans are you going to run?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the LS club...once you go LS, you won't ever go back to anything else.

Have you seen the new LSx blocks from GM performance? The current one will go 480 CID, with a 500 CID tall block coming soon. The exterior motor mounts, etc. are all the same as the LS1,2,6,7 blocks.

The performance you will gain from this motor will blow your mind...shave 200 lbs off the car...yet, it will idle and cruise just as smooth as a cadillac.

What trans are you going to run?
Hey Chris I did not know you had changed to an LS motor. I can't wait to install it. If I could go out there this weekend and get in and done this weekend, it would be in there.

I have checked out the LSx block motor and think it would be great but it too is out of my ultimate price range. No telling what it would cost to have a 500 CI small block running and running right.

As far as the transmission is concerned, I will be reusing my Keisler 5 speed. It only has 5k miles on it at max. It works well with the setup in my car now so it should be good with the LS1. Just have to work a few details out to get it all hooked up.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stripped all the accessories off the front of my engine. I plan on cleaning them up to make it all look good again.

Closeup of the front.

Surprised at how clean the water jackets are. Nice to see this instead of what is usually awaiting when you tear down and iron block.

The alternator will be one of my first victims this week. I am going to try and tear it down like I did on my old alternator and blast the frame and see if it will clean up nicely.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to clean aluminum parts is greatly appreciated. I may try to bead blast them and see how they turn out unless someone suggests other wise.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
take it apart (you know how to put it back together and clock it ? LOL :D ) and then glass bead blast the halves, they'll look like new.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
take it apart (you know how to put it back together and clock it ? LOL :D ) and then glass bead blast the halves, they'll look like new.
I started tearing it down this evening. I have never torn into one of these. It looks like you need to do a little soldering. I guess I need to do a little research before I get into bigger trouble with it. :thud:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts