Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Addition
Hi everyone,

Well, the new addition to the FatherLarry's Corvette Shop and corral is an Electron Blue 2002 Z06.

Well, at the Chevrolet exhibit they had a beautiful Z06 in Electron Blue. The color brought me back to 1967 at Island Chevrolet, Staten Island, NY, when my cousin purchased his 1967 L88. I forgot the name of the blue, but it was similar in shade. I believe it was Seabring Blue. Maybe one of you guys remember. Well, it was the hottest Vette around then, so when my wife and I saw this color at the auto show on a Z, we were hooked. I brought the Z home Friday afternoon and have been Zainoing since. The hardtop is great, but now I know what they mean by Z06. What a ride!

Also, in case you guys are interested, there's a radio show on Sunday morning from the Lehigh Valley called Monster Motorsports, channel 1230 am ESPN. It's on from 9:00-10:00 am, and hosted by a good friend of mine, Mark Porcaro, service mgr for Muller Chevrolet, Stewartsville, NJ. Last week, 9:00 am, I joined him and spoke about FatherLarry's Corvette Shop & Forum, and hopefully Corvette Kotze and myself will be on again in the near future. Will let you know. It's an interesting show, so make sure to tune in.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
ragvette said:
Hope you think that's funny in he!!:D

but you are right, EB is the fassssstttteeeessssttttt!!!!:D
Wow! I missed this thread! You added a Z06? I'm jealous as heck! Nice choice on color, I love the EB Z06!

Now you just need a white stripe and hashmarks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Patrick,

I have to admit, I love the color of your forum and that white stripe does add to the car. Unfortunately, I'm just a pure stock person when it comes to Corvettes.

·
Registered
662 Posts
FatherLarry said:
New Addition
Hi everyone,

The color brought me back to 1967 at Island Chevrolet, Staten Island, NY, when my cousin purchased his 1967 L88. I forgot the name of the blue, but it was similar in shade. I believe it was Seabring Blue. Maybe one of you guys remember.
Padre,

If it was blue, and it was 1967, it was one of the following:

Marina Blue - code 976 - 3,840 produced
Lynndale Blue - code 977 - 1,381 produced
Elkhart Blue - code 980 - 1,096 produced

Source: Corvette Black Book 1953-2002 edition

If memory serves, the Electron Blue of 2003 is similar in color to the Elkhart Blue of yore, but I'll see if I can find a photo and get back to you if it's important. Marina Blue was more like the Nassau Blue of 1965. I know, that was the color of my first Corvette back in 1965.

I'm impressed that a Sky Pilot is commuting from the rectory to the nave in a Z06 (bet you don't get out of first gear, unless you take the long way to work). ;)

Do you take confessions via email by any chance? Can you accept MS Word documents as email attachments? I've got a lot to confess and my email client has a message size limit. And I'm not talking about the "Bless me Father for I have sinned; it's been two weeks since my last confession" stuff here.

Pax vo biscum, and Save The Wave.

Ray

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I have some old color charts from Sherwin Williams, Dupont and R&M tucked away in the attic somewhere. I painted these colors back then, but I guess using too much lacquer thinners made me forget the #'s. I would like to see the pic to compare to my Electron Blue.

In case you're wondering about the name "FatherLarry".......when I got back from Nam, I built a '57 E-Gaser and was grand national winner for two years at National Speedway in Long Island, NY in the late sixties. The track has since closed down. But anyway, before I got up to the lights I would go around the car saying some prayers and I would make the sign of the cross before I ran. Everyone started calling me FatherLarry and when I got up to the lights the announcer would say. "I wonder what FatherLarry is going to turn in his yellow '57 today" So I guess the name stuck.

So if you still want to confess, I'd be happy to hear you out. The last time I went to confession, I kept asking the priest " how many pennance I should say", but he didn't answer me. Finally, the person in the next booth said "hey fellow, I think he went for the police":D

Thanks again for taking the time to look up the colors.

·
Registered
662 Posts
FatherLarry said:
...when I got back from Nam, ...
What outfit were you in? I was with C Co 1st Battalion 69th Armor, attached to the 173rd Airborne Brigade in the Central Highlands, '68-'69. We spent our time along Highway 19 between the An Khe Pass and the Mang Yang Pass. I was a tank gunner and got promoted to tank commander when a number of guys got wounded and evacuated. My tank had no adult supervision.

I was in Germany and was bored on border patrol so I volunteered for Vietnam. Got my orders and came home for a 45 day leave prior to deployment to RVN. Arrived in Ridley Park, PA on a Sunday night, and the next morning was waiting for the Plymouth dealer when he opened. I bought a 1968 Hemi Roadrunner with a 4-speed. Put a 4:56 ring and pinion in it and spent the next 44 days racing everything that pulled next to me. I figured I would get killed and wouldn't have to pay for the car.

I survived the war but almost killed myself in the Roadrunner because I was too lazy to take the slicks off after a Sunday at the Drags (Atco, New Jersey) and and got caught in the rain going to work on Monday morning. Demolished the car and replaced it with a 1970 Hemicuda (shaker hood and all).

Both of those cars were incredibly fast, but they don't compare to the Z06. You will really get a blast out of yours.

You ever go to Maple Grove dragway? Is it still there?

Ray

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RT66Z06,

I didn't spend much time in Nam. Something I don't really want to think about too much. I was shipped to Tasanut (spelling?). I had a mine blow up on me and took out a kidney. Only there three weeks, but that was long enough.

'68 Hemi Roadrunner? That was a rare car. Did you have the one with the alloyed body? That thing really moved! I street raced a couple of those with a Chevelle 396. It was worked by Eastern Automotive and the Roadrunner Hemi still blew the doors off me.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
FatherLarry said:
RT66Z06,

I was shipped to Tasanut (spelling?).

'68 Hemi Roadrunner? That was a rare car. Did you have the one with the alloyed body?
It was Tan Son Nhut, the airport just outside Saigon, big U.S. Air Force presence with a battalion of Army infantry and MPs as security.

The alloy car you're thinking of was the factory race cars that were sold without heaters, radios, or a back seat. The fenders, hood, and trunk lid were thin aluminum. It had a monster battery mounted in the trunk over the right rear wheel (to counteract the chassis twist generated by the pinion gear attempting to climb the ring gear when the slicks really gripped the track). It featured the 426 cu Hemi race engine with solid lifters and two Carter AFBs on a cross-ram intake manifold. Later Dodge and Plymouth created the altered wheelbase cars to run in the NHRA A/FX class. They were the first "funny cars". Teams like Sox & Martin, the Golden Commandos, Dick Landy ("Color Me Gone" Dodge) used them to practically dominate the sport in 1965 and 1966. None survive today because the teams acid-dipped the unibody and while it made them lighter, it also caused them to erode to the point were the unibody failed on every car and they were all scrapped. Any MoPar A/FX car you see today is a counterfeit or a reproduction.

The Roadrunner was a stripped down Plymouth GTX with the Roadrunner decals and a horn that made the Neet-Neet sound from the cartoon. It was very light in comparison to the GTX. It came stock with a 426cu Hemi with dual Carter AFBs (mounted in tandem) and hydraulic lifters, mated to a Chrysler A-833 four-speed (with a wild Hurst shifter stock), going through a Dana-Spicer 9 3/4 inch ring and pinion set (the rear was out of a dump truck (seriously), and could take mucho torque without stripping the teeth off the pinion, a problem Chevys had). The engine had a gross (pre-1975) horsepower rating of 425, and put out 490lb/ft of torque (gross rating).

The Hemi really came on in the last third of the 1/4 mile when the revs were high and those big intake and exhaust valves, perfectly inclined into the hemispherical combustion chambers, allowed the engine to breath better than a wedge-head engine. That's were we typically got everyone, on the top end. If I came off the line even with them they were on the trailer before the 600 foot mark.

The Hemicuda was even lighter than the Roadrunner but with a shorter wheelbase and, with a definite front weight bias, was a bear to drive in anything but a straight line. It had the same 426 cu Hemi engine but this time I got the Chrysler A-727 Torqueflite automatic transmission (it was refered to as Dial-a-win even though Dodge/Plymouth had stopped using the push-button shifters back in 1963). It was the only muscle/sports car I've ever owned that wasn't a manual transmission and it was a very good drag racing vehicle. It was orange, the color being called "Vitamin C" by Plymouth back then.

They were great cars but crude in comparison to the technology available today. But they were comparitively inexpensive to todays performabce cars (even adjusted for inflation).

Ray

1 - 10 of 10 Posts