Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2004 Coupe (6 speed) and recently purchased the following items: Borla Stinger Quad Round exhaust system, Magnaflow X-pipe and Vararam Air Intake System (also CAGS Defeat - no HP gain..). Does anyone else have this combination and know how much of a horsepower and torque gain they experienced - that I can expect?

It was a tough decision with regards to the choice of exhaust to go with since there are so many good ones to choose from and everyone has their own preferences when trying to decipher the strengths and weaknesses of each, i.e., Corsa, Borla, GHL, Magnaflow, BB Triflo and etc.

For those that have the Borla Stinger - what do you think of them in terms of their sound? (too loud?) Did you change from a previous brand to the Borla Stingers, or did you have Borla Stingers and decide to go with something else? and why?

Thanks in advance, Mike:cheers:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
Welcome to digitalcorvettes Mike. Hope you enjoy you time here. The x-pipe won't get you much but with the rest of the set up, you can expect about 20-25 hp increase, give or take a little. Good choice on the set-up. I'm probably going to get rid of my 2K and get a '04 with in the next month or two and am leaning very seriously toward these mods except the dual tip instead of the quads. I don't have the stinger now but after hearing a bunch of them, they are going on the next one.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Welcome aboard AlohaC5 :buhbye:

I agree with Torch Red 2K regarding the 20/25 hp gain with your mod setup. Now the brand of exhaust system to get is the most confusing since everyone claims one is better then the other.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
I think all exhaust are about the same performance wise. It really is about the personal preference on sound level

B

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the DC crew AlohaC5!

I have a very similar set up to you however I am using the Blackwing instead of the Vararam on my Z06. I agree that you will probably pick up about 20-30 horsepower and 25-35ft.lbs of TQ with that set up. I have yet to dyno my mods to see the actual results. I am running the Borla Stinger dual tips with a Corsa X pipe. I absolutely LOVE the Borla's. I will never put another exhaust on my car.

This past week I have had no stereo in the car and it has helped to remind me how much I love those Stingers!!!

Good luck with the car and again it's nice to have you here!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies! 25 hp works for me! Unfortunately, there are no good performance tuners in Oahu that I can trust my baby with to perform "real" modifications, i.e., 4.10 gears, Heads and Cams and MTI Underdrive Pulley, but I will be returning to Northern Virginia in December 2004 - plenty of options in that area (VA, MD and DC). Good to be part of the DC crew. Mike:partyon:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
hey Mike,
if you really want someone else to do the tuning,theres a guy named Bodie,his shop is BSM,in mapunapuna.he does most of the 10 and 11 second F-bodies out here.he's pretty busy,just him and one other guy,i think.so if something is wrong and you need to get in there on the dyno you may have to wait,the import shop down the street rents there dyno also,and i hate waiting.thats why i mentioned in the P.M. i sent you about LS1 edit.theres a few tuning web sites to help out too.heads and cam,can do yourself,but then you'd probably have to trailer the car over for tuning.i guess you don't much care about the warrenty :laughing: the guy Bill i think does tuning and other work,he's the president of the other corvette club,the one my buddy's are in.
have you explored the ATI procharger.more power than everything you listed above,and you can take it off when or if you sell the car.talk to you later,Todd.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Todd. I will check with Bodie at BSM Performance, 2022 Republican St., Honolulu, HI (808) 841-3966 (is this correct? I couldn't find a BSM location in Mapunapuna) to get my vette dynoed after the installation of these items are complete to establish a new baseline for follow on work.

I plan to have Paul at Auto Pro, 766 Ilaniwai Street, Honolulu, HI 96813, Phone: (808) 596-8259 perform the installation and etc. He came highly recommended by a few members in my club. Do you know anyone who had experience with Auto Pro?

With regards to warranties..... well, I don't believe in keeping a vette stock - IMO a stock vette is just the first of many steps down the long path to individual enlightment and performance utopia! :laughing:

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
hey mike,
i've heard of Auto-Pro,don't know anyone thats been there.each club has there own favorites on were to go.one thing about Bodie is alot of his cars race at the track everyweekend,and some are points leaders in there respective catagory.i've never talked to any racers at the track that had there car tuned at Auto-pro,but that doesn't mean there not out there,Bodie races his F-body alot too.he's in the 10s-total street car.theres only me and a couple other C5s that get out there and race.
i can relate on the warrenty.but your car is so new,give it a few miles to show the common C5 problems.theres plenty.a little less as the years went by but still problems.before i got my car,theres a page and a half of warrenty work that had to be done to the car.:surprised not uncommon.i have had no problems at all.and i've been modding some.i have an extended warrenty,basically to cover any of the 5 computers,swithes in the door pods,stuff in the dash.every other part of the warrenty is probably void,especially the suspension,i lowered it to were you can't even stick your foot under the car.
take your time buddy.i would still think about the super-charger,there even smog legal in Calif,can keep the motor stock too.after heads and cam,you might not feel as much as your hoping.the super-charger will give you more power.let us know how it goes.:smokin:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point. I'm in no rush for the major mods. I think the exhaust and intake are mild and don't place the warranty at risk. I definitely agree with you that its wise to let the common C5 problems rise to the surface over the next couple of years and get them resolved under warranty without a fight with GM and etc.

I'm familiar with the Magnacharger and agree its an excellent system. Do you know anyone here that had it installed that I could talk to and check it out? How often do you and the other C5 guys go to the track? I would be interested in watching and learning from your experiences.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
the guys i usually go with are Hawaiian Punch and my f-body friend Greg.Swimmer (scott) used to go,he has a Lambo orange Z06 convertable,hes banded for hitting 11s without a gage.the other guy,i don't know and only saw him once,theres a few c4s out there,the white one hits 10s.i would go almost every weekend,but i work nights and weekends.i take vacation days just to race.it's been a while now so we'll probably go within a month.i will let you know when.one thing,this track is pathetic.i can't even give it full throttle until i'm past the tree (street tires).thats the reason i can only get 13.4 @ 106 mph.if i had some E.T. street,easy mid 12.s.it's hard to believe until you try it out here.last time a guy had the silver 2003 C5,he asked for advise on the launch,so i told him,baby the throttle until past the tree,then nail it and shift.he tried the old bring rpms up to 1200 and blast off the line.he ran 14.2.:laughing:his friend in the c3 beat him (slightly modded).it's fun though,some people get way to wound up,i just have fun.on the highway i've raced a few,no traction problems there.
just exhaust you should be fine with the warranty.could call and ask.i'm at work and have to go,thats why my typing is not that good,i'm always in a hurry. :smokin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts