Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Corvette, a 1989 with low mileage. I have had to replace the rear brake pads because the right rear inner was worn out. It appears the emergency brake actuator caused the wear. The lever is bottomed out on the caliper housing, but can be pryed up a little. Is there an adjustment to take some of the tension off the brake lever? Is there something else that is wrong? Is this a common prooblem? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! Welcome to the digitalcorvettes, and the Corvette family.

I don't recall hearing about any chronic problems with emergency brake actuators. But, one of the pro's will jump in here and share their wisdom.

:buhbye:

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
I cannot remeber exactly, but you can adjust the tension and such on the brake lever. Basically you can loosen the brake cable and then the next time you use the E-brake it will self adjust.

It sounds like the pads were replaced but the E-brake lever tensioner was never reset.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
What Jeff said sounds right to me.

You may want to invest in a good set of Factory Service Manuals. Spend the extra cash and get the manuals from GM, the same ones the dealership uses. In the long run, they will save you money if you decide to do your own work.

Congrats on the Vette and welcome to the family! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
BubbleHead said:
What Jeff said sounds right to me.

You may want to invest in a good set of Factory Service Manuals. Spend the extra cash and get the manuals from GM, the same ones the dealership uses. In the long run, they will save you money if you decide to do your own work.

Congrats on the Vette and welcome to the family! :thumbsup:
:agree: :agree: :agree:
and WELCOME!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some calipers when you push the puck in the bolt for the emergency brake lever needs to be rotated at the same time if not it will damage the caliper. Just a thought

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
Welcome, I have been in Cranberry several times. Have friends in Butler.
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Welcome! Glad to have you here. :buhbye:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts