Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DC Ambassador / Netherlands
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Here a question from a new owner regarding my 1988 L98 TPi Conv.

I have a idle problem, The car starts ok, then runs ok at first, after some time the rpm's start to go up 700, 800, 900 rpm in "D" when I put it in "N" or "P" it goes up to 1200-1400 rpm, and sometimes the SES light comes on, first time that happened I looked what the code was, it was code 33.
When the SES light came on the car was very bad on low rpm's, like it was running on 7 cylinders or misfiring, when that happened the 1200-1400 rpm started. (limp home mode?) but after a wile it starts running ok again, only high rpm's and SES light on.
The next day all is ok again, no SES, but after sometimes it comes back, not all the time.

First we have set the TPS to 0.54 v, swapped the computer under the dash and back, that did not help.
So we cleaned all connectors, the TB housing, put in a K&N air filter, today I'm going to look for vacuum leaks.

Are we going the right way ?

If you offer help, please remember I own this Vette (my first) for 4 days now, so if you point something out, explain it very graphic please.

Happy New Year,

Pim

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
:agree:
You need to know what code it's setting
the next easy test is to take an Ohm reading across each injector, They should all be the same.... It's early in the AM but I think you should get a reading like 1.56 Ohm's with stock injectors... just make sure they are all the same!!

·
DC Ambassador / Netherlands
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked for leaks, can't find any, but at this time (2 weeks later)
The SES didn't came back, after all the cleaning it runs great and the high RPM's a almost gone too, just sometimes they are back, I guess I can live with that.

Greetz, Pim

·
Registered
282 Posts
It is likely the two MAF relays located behind your battery on the firewall. Mine was the same and for about $40 you can replace both, but you have to pull the battery.
Step-by-steps are at C4vettes.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts