Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am the proud owner of a new-to-me C5. It's been a lifelong dream of mine (I'm 40) to own a corvette and I was recently able to purchase one at a great price from a relative. (Also a DC member).

I have a technical question that I hope someone here can answer. First a little about the car:

It is a 2001 C5. It's got Kooks headers,LG Motorsports G5X3 cam kit, Roll Master double roller timing chain,ASP Under drive pulley kit, 160 degree thermostat, Comp Cams 921 spring kit, Ported oil pump, aftermarket brake calipers/rotors, C6 Exhaust, X-Pipe, high flow cats, custom leather seats, aftermarket rims/tires, aftermarket cowl induction hood, and only 46k on the odometer. Also, its a six speed manual transmission.

Now the problem:

I bought it in Virginia and drove it back to Maine today. About 14 hours in the car so I was really able to get a feel for it. I was told by the PO that it was dyno'd at 400 rwhp and it really feels like it. I've never owned a car like this or driven anything remotely this strong. It's very very torquey and does not want to go slow.

The issue comes when I and coming rolling up to a stop. I'll depress the clutch and shift into first gear (for examle when waiting for a light to turn green). At that point, the tachometer will do one of three things. 1. it may instantly settle out at about 900 RPM and idle fine or; 2. it may settle out at about 2000 rpm and stay there idling (in which case I have to rev the engine to get it to come back down to a 900 rpm idle or; 3. the idle will fluctuate between 400 rpm and 1200 rpm several times (sometimes ending in a stall), until it finally settles out at 900 rpm.

I was told by the PO that it was programmed to have a high idle because the cam would lope so much as to make it stall. Oh, BTW, the problem seems to be exagerrated when the air conditioner is on.

It makes it difficult to drive this car because I'm always worried about it stalling or I'll end up trying to drive away with the RPM starting at 2000. I have driven clutch cars for years and I assure you that it's not the driver :)

Does anyone have any ideas? This car is in fantastic condition and was well taken care of. It was not beat up.

Thank you,

Mark

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Hello,

I am the proud owner of a new-to-me C5. It's been a lifelong dream of mine (I'm 40) to own a corvette and I was recently able to purchase one at a great price from a relative. (Also a DC member).

I have a technical question that I hope someone here can answer. First a little about the car:

It is a 2001 C5. It's got Kooks headers,LG Motorsports G5X3 cam kit, Roll Master double roller timing chain,ASP Under drive pulley kit, 160 degree thermostat, Comp Cams 921 spring kit, Ported oil pump, aftermarket brake calipers/rotors, C6 Exhaust, X-Pipe, high flow cats, custom leather seats, aftermarket rims/tires, aftermarket cowl induction hood, and only 46k on the odometer. Also, its a six speed manual transmission.

Now the problem:

I bought it in Virginia and drove it back to Maine today. About 14 hours in the car so I was really able to get a feel for it. I was told by the PO that it was dyno'd at 400 rwhp and it really feels like it. I've never owned a car like this or driven anything remotely this strong. It's very very torquey and does not want to go slow.

The issue comes when I and coming rolling up to a stop. I'll depress the clutch and shift into first gear (for examle when waiting for a light to turn green). At that point, the tachometer will do one of three things. 1. it may instantly settle out at about 900 RPM and idle fine or; 2. it may settle out at about 2000 rpm and stay there idling (in which case I have to rev the engine to get it to come back down to a 900 rpm idle or; 3. the idle will fluctuate between 400 rpm and 1200 rpm several times (sometimes ending in a stall), until it finally settles out at 900 rpm.

I was told by the PO that it was programmed to have a high idle because the cam would lope so much as to make it stall. Oh, BTW, the problem seems to be exagerrated when the air conditioner is on.

It makes it difficult to drive this car because I'm always worried about it stalling or I'll end up trying to drive away with the RPM starting at 2000. I have driven clutch cars for years and I assure you that it's not the driver :)

Does anyone have any ideas? This car is in fantastic condition and was well taken care of. It was not beat up.

Thank you,

Mark
First thing is to always pull the codes.

It sounds like a possible IAC problem or the electronic actuator for the throttle body

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will go see if I can pull the codes today.

Also, and forgive my ignorance, what does "tuning" mean? and how do I go about getting it "tuned?"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I had the codes pulled today and there are none...

I'm looking into the tuning thing. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Ok, I had the codes pulled today and there are none...

I'm looking into the tuning thing. Thanks for any help.
You don't have to go have the codes pulled, you can pull them yourself while sitting in the car. See my check engine stickey at the top of C5 general.

That story about the idle that the person who sold you the car is why I would never buy a car with a modified engine. If they new what they were doing, they wouldn't have this issue. As for tuning, you can program the computer modules in the car to do different things. Your salesperson is claiming that they have programmed the car to idle high. If that was so, the car would idle wherever they supposedly programmed it. This is obviously not the case. You can have the modules read to see if they are set at stock or not but I won't be of any help but to send you to a dealer. They can tell you if they programs have been changed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts