Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys?? As some of you know I had a little accident a few months back. Well, it's about time to take the car into the shop for the repairs. The whole car has to be re-painted, so here's my question. Right now the car is black....but I'm thinking maybe I should go with a different color since the insurance company is buying me a paint job. I have always wanted a red Corvette.... what do you guys think! What color red is your favorite on the C5's. Or do you think a different color would be as cool. I think that red is just flashy and says.."LOOK AT ME I'M A CORVETTE!" Let me know what you guys think!

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
Maybe a candy red? Black with a metallic flake woulde be nice. However you are fortunate because if lets say you went with black you could tell them to go heavy on the clear and put extra hardener for extra scratch resistance, then polish and buff it to look like a mirror.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Red also say's Here I am give me a ticket.:lookinup:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Red is a sharp color...I my old '87 Vert was red, and I JUST about got a red 2002 coupe instead of my '00 FRC...but you won't be sorry if you go with red...if you keep it shining...it looks like candy! Iburke is right though, it IS an eye catcher, and can attrach attention...which isn't ALWAYS a bad thing!

·
Registered
16,602 Posts
Keep in mind, changing the color of your car will require you to paint the door jambs, sills, inside the hatch, under the hood, etc, etc, etc. If you are going to do it right, you are talking about quite a bit of extra labor/expense. I'm pretty sure your insurance company won't cover that type of paint job.

I'd suggest staying with your current color. Nothing is more beautiful than a car with a fresh black paintjob! :thumbsup:

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep in mind, changing the color of your car will require you to paint the door jambs, sills, inside the hatch, under the hood, etc, etc, etc. If you are going to do it right, you are talking about quite a bit of extra labor/expense. I'm pretty sure your insurance company won't cover that type of paint job.

I'd suggest staying with your current color. Nothing is more beautiful than a car with a fresh black paintjob! :thumbsup:
Hmmm.....great point. I didn't even think of that. Well, I guess I will wait and see what the Insurance company is going to pay for the repairs and then just try and find a shop to do the work...... I guess black is nice too tho!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
For a full repaint on a C5 you'll need to remove the interior, glass, doors... just about everything imaginable.

Otherwise where the paint ends is where it will start peeling or lifting eventually.

My thoughts are that you shoot it the same color... but instead use a pearl, metallic or some other exotic tint coat to make it really pop. Check out all the cool finishes from House of Kolor or PPG.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
373 Posts
check out my pics, my 92 was black, I re did it and added a wine pearl, my Black 99, well I re did it also but stayed with Black with a hint of blue, Black has a few different shades, eg blue, green, red, brown etc, family didn't think a pearl suited C5, I love a pearl, as long as it dosn't change colours as you walk around it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree that it would be easiers (and cheapest) to go with the original black, but if you're going to do a full repaint, I would go with the new Bluestream metallic (or Nassau Blue if you can't get the paint). If it NEEDS to be red, though, I like the new victory red!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts