Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hello Everybody,

My name is Jim McClain and I have been an avid Car (Muscle cars & Corvettes) and speed enthusiast (Boats, Cycles, Dune Buggies, etc) since I was a small boy and my father and uncle's passed this bug on to me.

Having grown up and actually been lucky enough to experience the family 63 split window, Early 70 stingray, 73 big block, a few late 70's and early 80's vettes as well as the first 84's and 1985's before growing old enough to enter the fray myself in 1987 with my first vette, I consider myself a bit of a Corvette historian. Now 34 years old, I have been the proud owner of 6 of these beasts myself now, including my first used 1987, used 1992 LT1, new 93 40th anniversary, new 96 LT4, new 1999 C5 and current 2003 Z06.

I am also a big Viper enthusiast and current owner of a mint 2000 Dodge Viper GTS ACR in addition to a few other fast toys including a 1992 GMC Typhoon, 2002 Lexus SUV, 502 cu. in. 500+ HP 27' Mirage Race boat and Sea Doo GSX Waverunners. Obviously I like speed and things that look hot like all previous Vettes.

The reason I bring this all up is that, I can be as big a critic as anyone, but I feel the C6 is getting a bad rap by many before anyone should really be judging it until they see it in person.

I own a very sucsesful new media development company in Illinois where we do a lot of design, interactive cd-rom/web/dvd, high def video production, tv commericals, print, 3D animation, special effects and other services. With this, one of the services I commonly am providing clients is professional design and digital photography services. (Plug- www.bmediaweb.com)

Poor/odd camera angles, magazines that may not want a car to look very flattering, bad choices in colors, bad/distorted scans, poor press photos, etc... all seem to be currently contributing to the current wave of critisism I am reading on many Corvette sites of the C6.

As a result of all this I decided to take the photos I have collected online, do some minor corrections to camera angles on some, cleanup others, improve the color on them and create a compilation piece for all to BETTER judge the new design but NOT cast a final negative vote until they see it in person. Attached is a copy of this work. If you want a high-res version email me and I can send it to you as well - it makes a nice poster.

Overall, I am blown away by the car and I love it. It does not look like a Viper, RX-8 or any other vehicle for that matter and will be recognizable as a true Corvette without question!

The new headlights do change the overall mood of the car slightly, but I feel it does so in a modern year 2005 way that a car of the future needs to stay on top. The pop-ups looked good down, but when they were on, they looked out of date and ruined the lines of the car. With 350Z's, Infiniti's, BMW's and other nice rides all using multiple hid/xenon headlights, I was always envious of these anytime one would pull behind me and make me take notice. In fact the new lights in many ways are a modern version of the conversion many Vette owners did to the early 70's to early 80's vettes when they converted thier pop-ups to the flush headlights for that Daytona look which I always liked.

I also have noticed that many shots of the car do not show how the car will sit and the lines will really flow. Example - the trailer/carrier shot had the rear strapped down and was taken from below the carrier, the magazine shots show the rear from a high view and so on. The one recent shot that gives you a good indication of the rear 3/4 view at a normal standing level, although slightly inclined, which has been included in my composite is incredible! It reminds me of a modern remake of the early 70' Vette (one of my personal favorites) but with even more muscle. It has the curvy fenders, flatter/inwardly curved rear end and with the modern door handle placement, new door lines, exhuast area (very exotic/tigershark looking) I think GM did an incredible job with the design of this car based on this shot.

From the front, that one magazine shot everyone keeps basing opinions on should be burned. It over exagerates the nose, which based on any other photo I have seen and is included in my composite, should be much smaller and more exotic along the lines of the Modena.

Outside of these comments and personal opinions I also think some other incredible points to consider with what GM has done includes:

• Offering current Z06 level power with an automatic (great for the female market or those who do a lot of city driving and dont need the extra performance of a stick)
• Providing a Targa coupe/convertible Z06 in essence.
• Providing current Z06 performance at base Corvette pricing.
• The nicest Rims yet with increased dimensions.
• Many hightech gadgets for those who want them that even SUV's, mini vans and sedans now have but were void from the Vette option list (nav, heated seats, XM, etc)
• A nice blend of some retro lines with new technology like the HID headlamps.
• Hopefully a Viper/GT 40 beater with the 500hp Z06 or 625HP Blue Devil. Of special note to GM - please build the Blue Devil and I will be the first one in line to plunk $100k down as the Vette needs a limited supercar version to shut the mouths of all those in the world and show what AMERICAN engineering can do that no others in the world can match - especially based on final price.

Last, can someone please post this message and image link on the other Corvette websites like Corvetteforum as I have been holding on to this composite image and observations for 3 days waiting for registration approval to post it on such other sites.

Thank You and Enjoy!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One additonal thought

Dear Mr Hill and Mr. Lutz,

If you do frequent these forums as many have suggested and run across my comments and images and like what you see, please consider contacting me and taking a look at my companies website www.bmediaweb.com.

I have always valued the Videos, Website, Brochures and CD-ROM's provided to market, train and support the owners of Corvettes. I also can't wait for the rumored TV commericals featuring the C6. As such, I have always wanted to contact you and prove to you that I can provide you with much better materials across all mediums and under one roof.

I recently read about GM's desire to find new fresh companies, small or large to help improve your brands.

Hopefully, my improved rendition of the C6 and experienced opinion helps turn some of the negative comments I have been reading based on a lot of bad choices in terms of press shots, color selections and so on that people are using to base an opinion.

My company is working with some of the largest companies in the world such as Intuit (Turbotax and Quickbooks fame), Coca-Cola, Ameritrade, US Post Office, Transamerica, Edy's/Dreyer's and many others. We have also won many awards for our work and would very much like to work with you.

We have developed many proprietary technologies I would like to utilize in a one of a kind C6 website, CD-ROM and video, that we could talk more about in detail if interested.

I think you can not do better than finding someone in my position, with my companies portfolio/expertise and being a life long Corvette enthusiast as I have been. Only a true lifelong Corvette enthusiast can express the feelings one has for this car through the materials we could produce for you, rather than some adjency director who probably drives a Porsche.

If anybody else who reads this forum can help pass this message on to Mr. Hill or Mr. Lutz this would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Jim McClain
President, bmedia
www.bmediaweb.com

·
Banned
591 Posts
good job..................but I'm not impressed with the car.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Great job Jim and welcome to DC. You are obviously very good at what you do. I agree completely with your post also. I'm reserving my final judgement on the C6 until I actually see one in person. Hopefully that will be at the Chicago auto show. Nice job on the artwork. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the comments so far,

I wanted to add a point that I think everybody has to keep the base C6 in perspective. At under $50k how much can GM really be expected to provide ? This new C6 with 400hp is a performance bargain. I really think alot of the negative comments out there are probably more based on dissapointment of the 400hp rating of the base than the design itself, but if you really think about it - GM has raised the bar significantly in the base by offering current Z06 performance for base vette prices.

If the new C6 Z06 comes out with 500hp/500+tq. and some aggressive body tweaks for under $60k the car should outperform the Viper and GT 40 and be priced at least $20k less than the Viper and $90k less than the GT 40 with better gas mileage/creature comforts/storage/etc. - That's a huuuuge achievement in my view!!!!

If the rumored Blue Devil Comes out with 625HP, some added aggressive body tweaks and at $100k, again forget the $200-400k Super Exotics like Porsche GT's, Enzo's, Saleens, Lambo's, Ferrari's. This is a car you could drive everyday, in comparision to the others - reasonably insure and for the most part dominate the road.

Thank You,

Jim

·
Registered
285 Posts
Great stuff, Jim. Although...

Hopefully, my improved rendition of the C6 and experienced opinion helps turn some of the negative comments I have been reading based on a lot of bad choices in terms of press shots, color selections and so on that people are using to base an opinion.
...I have to say that the AutoWorld pics (that most people are complaining about and basing opinions on) are probably NOT official GM photos. I would imagine that AW had their OWN photographers go at the C6. I presume MotorTrend had their own shot as well.

Also, I don't think the "color selections" were "bad choices," and changing the orange cars to red won't necessarily change "negative comments" to positive. The DSOM color is new to the Corvette and, rightly so, I think GM will be pushing that color in its media ads.

Thirdly, all of the pics we've seen have been either saved, moved, resaved, reformatted, scanned (badly), or rescanned (worse). I don't believe any of them are "official GM" releases.

That said, I like your composition and admire your "chutspah" at soliciting The General. ;)

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Geez Jim, if I didn't know any better, I'd think I was listening to a GM exec pushing a less than overwhelming car. Nice picture work though.

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
You are correct about the poor quality photos we have recieved thus far.

As for GM needing your services, a public forum will most likely not get you any results. You should contact them directly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Patrick,

Thank you for the suggestion and I would contact them directly if I had a direct form of contact with Mr. Hill or Lutz, but I don't. I also read they frequent some of these forums and know trying to get a hold of one of them through the likely GM phone chain would probably be a more time consuming process if this is the case.

If anyone has an email address or way to get a message to either of these individuals, it would be much appreciated. I also hoped that people viewing the photos and information would be supportive of not only trying to improve the Car but all the supporting materials like owners videos, cd-roms, website and print materials that my company can provide to help give the C6 a real kick-off.

Thanks Again,

Jim McClain

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
jimmcclain said:
Patrick,

Thank you for the suggestion and I would contact them directly if I had a direct form of contact with Mr. Hill or Lutz, but I don't. I also read they frequent some of these forums and know trying to get a hold of one of them through the likely GM phone chain would probably be a more time consuming process if this is the case.

If anyone has an email address or way to get a message to either of these individuals, it would be much appreciated. I also hoped that people viewing the photos and information would be supportive of not only trying to improve the Car but all the supporting materials like owners videos, cd-roms, website and print materials that my company can provide to help give the C6 a real kick-off.

Thanks Again,

Jim McClain
Jim, i don't have any of that. We try to distance ourselves from the manufacturers and just focus on our Corvette brothers and sisters.

I would put together an outstanding sample of your work, put it in an amazing box, and ship it to GM headquarters where he's at. At least one of his assistants may see it and give it to him.

Also, find out who their head of art/design is and zing him a package as well. Then follow up with phone calls... "did you get my package??"

:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
>> Dear GX624, I see you edited your comments from your original more
>> positive post and wanted to respond.

...I have to say that the AutoWorld pics (that most people are complaining about and basing opinions on) are probably NOT official GM photos. I would imagine that AW had their OWN photographers go at the C6. I presume MotorTrend had their own shot as well.

>> I don't think I said they were as my quote below from the original post
>> highlight. In the case of the Motortrend and AW these would have fallen
>> under the Poor/odd camera angles, magazines that may not want the car to
>> look very flattering as well as bad/distorted scans, since this is what I worked
>> with to create and start my composite.

>> From original post: "Poor/odd camera angles, magazines that may not want a
>> car to look very flattering, bad choices in colors, bad/distorted scans, poor
>> press photos, etc... all seem to be currently contributing to the current wave
>> of critisism I am reading on many Corvette sites of the C6."

>> Poor press photos was refferring to what has now become the high-res desert
>> photos that originally was only posted as a small thumbnail and seem to be
>> offical GM Press Photos from what I can tell.

Also, I don't think the "color selections" were "bad choices," and changing the orange cars to red won't necessarily change "negative comments" to positive. The DSOM color is new to the Corvette and, rightly so, I think GM will be pushing that color in its media ads.

>> Again, here I didn't mean to offend anyone as I think Orange is a hot color,
>> but the scans I started with were very faded and made that color look
>> undesirable to me personally as posted and were being judged by others that
>> way. I thought let's see it in a more traditonal red shade since this is a good
>> color and one that more liked based on the carrier commerical spy pics.

>> Additonally, I did do a lot more than just change the pictures colors from
>> orange to red to help try and change some opinions on the design. Beside
>> some of the textual points I still feel are valid and strong points to re-consider
>> an opinion, as well as putting as many views of the car in one file for the
>> many who have not seen all of these or have the time to spend going
>> through the many threads, if you look closely at the much debated front view
>> for example - I changed the proportions, angles and width of the nose, roof
>> and overall car to better represent what the real front would look like based
>> on other photos where the front end was much smaller instead of what
>> appeared as a very strange and exagerrated picture as posted. (The newest
>> Desert Press Photo seems to confirm this thought)

Thirdly, all of the pics we've seen have been either saved, moved, resaved, reformatted, scanned (badly), or rescanned (worse). I don't believe any of them are "official GM" releases.

>> I did not say they were and nothing is offical GM until GM says it is such.

That said, I like your composition and admire your "chutspah" at soliciting The General.

>> I appreciate this as it has always been an area of business I wanted to go
>> after and I saw the opportunity to do so with all the controversy.

>> Thank You,
>> Jim McClain

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
>>RE:

Jim, i don't have any of that. We try to distance ourselves from the manufacturers and just focus on our Corvette brothers and sisters.

>> Patrick, thank you and I understand completly but maybe we all need
>> to be in more contact with the folks that so many are complaining about
>> the decisions they have made. I can put such tools into place if GM is
>> intrested and this is one example of a void that should be fixed in the
>> customer / manufacturer relationship.

I would put together an outstanding sample of your work, put it in an amazing box, and ship it to GM headquarters where he's at. At least one of his assistants may see it and give it to him.

Also, find out who their head of art/design is and zing him a package as well. Then follow up with phone calls... "did you get my package??"

>> We used to do this in the past, but this has NOT been a sucsessful way to
>> earn new business and to do it right requires some time
>> and expsense that you would at least want to be sure people like Mr.
>> Lutz or Mr Hill will get to see, but usually ends up in the mail boys
>> garbage can never reaching those you desire to touch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Jim,

You are a breath of fresh air w/your well put words, you seem like a well educated man.

I don't know what people expected out of the C6? I mean here is a car that offers all of the following:

1. Exotic car looks & performance.
2. A high level of reliability.
3. Extremely good gas milage.
4. A high level of technology.
5. Comfortable ride that you can drive everyday.
6. And now the higher quality interior that it always deserved.

Keep in mind that GM is offering this complete package for around 50K.

In my opinion, this is the deal of the century. I mean look at the other 50K cars out there. 1. Boxter 2. Base model MBZ CLK 3. BMW M3 4. Fully loaded MBZ SLk, plus many more unworthy cars.

Name me one of these cars that comes even close to the whole Corvette package & experience. Individually they might offer some things that comes close to the Vette, but collectively none of them are even close. The more I think about how these other manufacturers can charge so much, the more disturbing it is for me.

This is why the Corvette is in a class all on it's own & it's so under-priced. Most people that disagree w/me are those that have never owned one, can not afford the higher price, or have always hated Corvette.

The only other car that comes close to what the Corvette offers is the Porsche 911.

These are all the reasons that I strongly think the realistic price for the C6 should be 65K & not 50K, but it is not, so we should all take advantage of this.

·
Registered
285 Posts
jimmcclain said:

>> I don't think I said...

>> I did not say...

>> Thank You,
>> Jim McClain
Just for the record, Jim. I didn't say you did. ;) I guess my chosen words were a little more aggressive than the thoughts I tried to convey.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GX624

No problem, and thanks for that latest desert shot / thread. I also really like the Blue Devil mod Patrick put together from the same photo. Overall, I really am liking the latest photos starting to hit the forums as they seem to be much more flattering in my view.

In the next couple months I have a feeling there are going to be a lot more C6 fans than there are at the moment and hopefully I can help the movement in a variety of ways.

Jim

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
jimmcclain said:
>> Patrick, thank you and I understand completly but maybe we all need
>> to be in more contact with the folks that so many are complaining about
>> the decisions they have made. I can put such tools into place if GM is
>> intrested and this is one example of a void that should be fixed in the
>> customer / manufacturer relationship.
Good idea, wrong place!

digitalcorvettes will not have a direct relationship with GM or Chevrolet. Simply because that would introduce unncessary politics and censorship "requests" here as we've seen on other Corvette sites many times recently. No thanks.

This site was made for my Corvette brothers and sisters. I won't establish relationships with any entity that would choke or filter the information or opinions you see shared here.

That said... you seem to be bursting at the seams with ideas, keep them coming!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Patrick,

My suggestion that I could put tools in place for direct communication with the people like Mr. Lutz and Mr. Hill did not mean I wanted to do this to the digital corvettes site and I can see why you would want to stay away from that.

What I was saying is if GM was interested in my companies services/offerings this is yet one more example of what is needed and could be implemented in an official GM/Corvette C6 super site.

My company has developed many proprietary technologies such as a CD-ROM/web based encryption system that decrypts and unlocks millions of dollars of Intuit's Turbotax software every year to one of the most robust interactive user tracking and reporting systems that is currently being utilized by Ameritrade as well as the US Post office on several products. I have personally assembled some of the best talent from around the world in building this company and although we are small and have only been in business for 5 years we are growing tremendously every year and winning major clients all the time.

I have wanted to bring some other technology that a VC company almost finished paying us to complete before going belly up. It is a very unique system for online and interactive touch screen kiosk based visulaization, configuration and presentation delivery that is tied together by a common backend. The same presentation can be used in dealerships on touch screen kiosks as well as at customers homes through the web, picking up right where they left off in either situation. Full sales lead tracking, 3D product imaging and reporting as well as many other functions are all a part of the integrated system.

So, all in all I was just trying to say once again that I know I could do wonders for GM and the Corvette in terms of interactive web, cd, dvd and other forms of media because we are one of the best in the country doing this kind of work but i need help reaching them.

Thank You once again as I love your site and hope to continue to contribute.

Jim McClain
President, bmedia
www.bmediaweb.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts