Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using one of the many DIY out there I decided to tackle the rotors last weekend. I odered a set of drilled and slotted rotors with pads off ebay for 182.00 shipped. They are zinc coated so they shouldn't rust.

Fronts

Decided to paint the rotor hats so I taped them off and ran a razor blade around the slot in the rotors to create the circle

Next I used duplicolr caliper paint in the can and applied 3 coats to the rotor hats

Peeled off the masking tape after letting it dry for about an hour

Did the same to the rears

And was ready to tackle the hard part. Fortunately everything came apart with only a scraped knuckle or two. I went ahead and painted the calipers using the duplicolor brush on paint. A word of advice on using this paint...throw away that POS brush that comes in the kit. After painting the front rotors I used acetone to clean the brush and the hairs fell out of it. I went to my house paint tote in the shed and found a 1" Purdy brush I use for trim paint. Not only did this brush allow for wider strokes but the paint laid down much better on the rear calipers. Go buy a decent brush.

Front put together. I used a razor blade to scrape the paint from the lettering

rear with rim back on

front with rim on

Car completed

I took me the better part of 7 hours to change the rotors, mostly because of drying time for the calipers and brackets plus I did the fronts first then jacked the rear to do them. I don't have room in the garage to jack the whole car up at once so the fronts were done in the driveway and the rears in the street because of the slope of the driveway.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Looks good. I went a little further. I sprayed 3 coats of clear on the calipers. I did my drill/ slotted rotor hats silver to match my car

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Nice job :thumbsup:

It really looks good

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Does look good. And the right color!:partyon:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Why would you paint the rotor hats red? :lookinup:
You want the calipers to stand out, not the hats, paint them black, you don't want to see them!

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,761 Posts
Why would you paint the rotor hats red? :lookinup:
You want the calipers to stand out, not the hats, paint them black, you don't want to see them!
I think that on a red car the red hats look good. On Todd's silver I think red would look out of place that's why he painted them silver. Nothing wrong with black, red is just another way to indivualize

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I think that on a red car the red hats look good. On Todd's silver I think red would look out of place that's why he painted them silver. Nothing wrong with black, red is just another way to indivualize
:agree: :thumbsup:
Those look HOTT !

·
Registered
724 Posts
New Rotors and Hawk Pads Installed

Looks good. I just finished replacing my stock rotors with new rotors.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
nice! now just don't get any brake fluid on the calipers- the paint will run off like it was still wet....found out the hard way lol

·
Registered
720 Posts
Less is more

Painting the hats red takes away the 'eye candy' effect of a nice set of red calipers make. Looks dumb/ricey to me, the calipers are the focal point! Reminds me of guys still running drums on the back, and painting them red to match their little front calipers. :laughing:

Why stop at the hats, paint the wheel barrels too, or... :smack

'But it's his car'...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Painting the hats red takes away the 'eye candy' effect of a nice set of red calipers make. Looks dumb/ricey to me, the calipers are the focal point! Reminds me of guys still running drums on the back, and painting them red to match their little front calipers. :laughing:

Why stop at the hats, paint the wheel barrels too, or... :smack

'But it's his car'...

DAMNNNNNN!!! man ease up a little, you just pissed all on his parade!

cant you understand that everyone has there own taste and style and not everyone wants to be like MR. PERFECT JETZ?

i know what you said was your own opinion, but damn give the guy a break!

·
Registered
720 Posts
WOW, MR. Perfect JETZ'! Been called a lot things, but NEVER prefect! :lookinup:

Not raining on his parade, just pointing something out IMHO that hats should be black.
That's what we do on forums, give our opinions. Not everyone likes everything everyone else has done to their car...OR I've done either!

...and that's their opinion!

Frank :cheers:

DAMNNNNNN!!! man ease up a little, you just pissed all on his parade!

cant you understand that everyone has there own taste and style and not everyone wants to be like MR. PERFECT JETZ?

i know what you said was your own opinion, but damn give the guy a break!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like how it looks. Stating your opinion is good, but it can be done nicely. You went over the top like he did that to your car. :spanked:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no problem on the criticism. opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one:laughing: I thought it would bring the red into the wheel well a little more. I'm happy with it and that is all that matters. The main reason for doing the hats is I noticed my other rotors were all rusted on the hats and just plain looked bad.

Now comparing a vette to a ricer is just plain ridiculous.:WTF

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
:agree:

I think black looks better but on a red Vette, I could see someone doing this. At least he did a good job, unlike some of the hack paint jobs I've seen. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey, the red hats makes your car different from the rest and in my book that's a good thing. Good job on the paint, looks good

·
Registered
271 Posts
Red's not for me, but I like the look of the rotors. :thumbsup:
Are these the ones that come with ceramic pads?
Opinion on the set up now that you have had them for a little while?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so far so good on the rotors. I can definitley see an increase in stopping power. The pads I'm not real impressed with though. Right rear is squeaky

1 - 20 of 20 Posts