Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this on The Car Connection:

Don't head for the showroom yet, but odds are looking good that the Shelby Cobra will be back in all new form in the not too distant future. Forty years after he first teamed up with Ford Motor Co., Shelby has renewed his relationship with the number two automaker, and the first product of that partnership took a bow during an auto show dinner Sunday night. Think of it as a "minimalist" muscle car, said Ford's director of design, J Mays, "No roof, no side glass, no radio and, thank God, not a single cupholder." But the reborn roadster does boast a 6.4-liter V-10 that, in normally-aspirated trim, puts out 605 horsepower and 501 lb-feet of torque through the car's 19-inch rear wheels. That's enough to launch it from 0-60 in under 10 seconds and deliver an ungoverned top speed of 190 mph. If that's not enough, a supercharger could "easily hit 700" hp, according to advanced product chief Chris Theodore. Like its crosstown competitors, Ford officials insisted that their new supercar is "just a concept," but they didn't work very hard to convince the crowd. "We built the Ford GT a year after we showed the concept," conceded Mays, and we built the Mustang a year after we showed you that concept. You do the math. How much would a product Cobra add up to? Definitely less than the $139,000 Ford GT, and more likely in line with the Dodge Viper, in the $80,000 to $90,000 range, it appears. In production, Ford would likely add roll-up windows and a very basic, removable soft-top.

I don't know what to make of the 0-60 claim of under 10 seconds, not sure what they were talking about, it seems too quick for a 1/4 mile time.

More info:
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=528

·
Registered
990 Posts
Wow...I like that look. Reminds me of the Audi TT roadster (like I just traded my Mustang Cobra in for):D

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
No roof-
No side glass=no registration in hawaii.
We have no emissions testing of any kind,but can't have shaved door handles and a bunch of other stuff,i won't bore you.:stick:

The 0-60 must be a misprint,a stock C5(non-Z06)0-60 4.83 seconds.It could be a 1/4 mile time,but with no roof,i don't know about that either.

Good that companys do concepts though,only way to really test the market

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arnie said:
I found this on The Car Connection:

In production, Ford would likely add roll-up windows and a very basic, removable soft-top.

There's still hope for those living in paradise.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I'm sure your correct,they would have to put some door handles and a grill to.:buhbye:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I'd take a Cobra kit car over that.

I don't know what it is about the original Cobra's but, they had perfect styling to me. I know the trend is retro but, this attempt looks like a total failure to me. Hideous when compared to an original.

·
Registered
990 Posts
84 GRANDSPORT said:
:agree: A blue one with white stripes!:excited:
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
84 GRANDSPORT said:
:agree: A blue one with white stripes!:excited:
There is a light blue Cobra running around Key West. Last time I saw him, he gave me a solid look as he past me going the other way... I think he wants to run. :D

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
it'll be interesting to see if this is a Ford product or if it will replace the Series I that Shelby is currently producing

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts

from autoweek.com :)

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
If they would just change the sheet metal to look more like an original Cobra, they could have a winner on their hands, IMHO.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
BubbleHead said:
If they would just change the sheet metal to look more like an original Cobra, they could have a winner on their hands, IMHO.
i think if they just change the headlights to have a round look to them they will be much better off...

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Punk Boy said:
i think if they just change the headlights to have a round look to them they will be much better off...
If they rounded the lower portion of the car to get rid of the boxy look, I think that would help too.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
BubbleHead said:
If they rounded the lower portion of the car to get rid of the boxy look, I think that would help too.
:agree: a couple of minor changes and they have a huge hit :)

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
this is by far the best piture i've found of the car :)

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Punk Boy said:

I agree with that. It does lok a little off. I would rather an old one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts